Is this possible with Pinball Arcade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Any one using a mini PC to play pinball arcade ? I'm up in the air about buying one and would if it could run PA and maybe a bit of MAME. Most of my collection is on Android and would like to keep that going I've yet to buy anything from season 3 because I have been dipping my feet in the water with the Steam version, but I don't want to totally switch over to a new format. Below is a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/UG007-Quad-Core-processor-integrated-Bluetooth/dp/B00EOL1BO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391096053&sr=8-3&keywords=Android+mini+pc

Last edited:

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
You should ask on the pc topic.
Anyway I'm sure that mame will be fine. Tpa I'm not sure what gpu you have in this pc and i can't check because I'm at work...

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
It has HDMI that plugs into your TV to make it a smart TV with Android apps like Google Play and such.

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
You should ask on the pc topic.
Anyway I'm sure that mame will be fine. Tpa I'm not sure what gpu you have in this pc and i can't check because I'm at work...

The device Jim O'Brien is referring to is not a PC, is not a PC as we know a PC... Meaning it is not running any type of Windows OS. It is an Android device. It runs Android OS 4.2. I think what you will find is that the answer is no. Pinball arcade is designed to run on Android Tablets and Phones devices. I have a Sony Internet Player which run a version of Android OS and if I go to the Play Store, Pinball Arcade will not even show in the Store even if I manually search for Pinball Arcade. If you were to some how force the installation by trying to install it from the APK, I think you will find that it will fail stating that Pinball Arcade is not compatible on this device. Even though it is still an Android device, the APK's are still compiled based on type of device. Though, you could be lucky and I would leave this question as Open, because there is a chance, albeit a rather small chance that it could work. The Dev's of Pinball Arcade would have to test the install on a mini-pc if they have one, though I doubt it will be in the budget since they would have to buy one to test. I am not sure if I helped or hurt your question, though I think based on the face that I have the Internet TV and that is technically very close to your mini-pc and Pinball Arcade definitely will not work on it, I am quite sure the same will be found with your mini-pc.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
ho damn, when he said mini pc I thought of something like this

ASRock-M8-SFF-Barebone-PC-Finally-Available-in-the-US-393214-2.jpg%3F1382428262

it's weird they call and android device a mini pc... it's so misleading...

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
ho damn, when he said mini pc I thought of something like this

ASRock-M8-SFF-Barebone-PC-Finally-Available-in-the-US-393214-2.jpg%3F1382428262

it's weird they call and android device a mini pc... it's so misleading...

Agreed. That's what I thought to when I read his post, that is until I clicked on his link he provided... It's a good thing he put that link in otherwise I would have agreed with your post lol

Hey, what is the link to that little baby you posted the pic of... Me likes!!! Me likes a lot!!! :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Any one using a mini PC to play pinball arcade ? I'm up in the air about buying one and would if it could run PA and maybe a bit of MAME. Most of my collection is on Android and would like to keep that going I've yet to buy anything from season 3 because I have been dipping my feet in the water with the Steam version, but I don't want to totally switch over to a new format. Below is a link in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/UG007-Quad-Core-processor-integrated-Bluetooth/dp/B00EOL1BO0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391096053&sr=8-3&keywords=Android+mini+pc

Hey there Jim

<geeky reply incoming>

The device you linked at http://www.amazon.com/UG007-Quad-Co...id=1391096053&sr=8-3&keywords=Android+mini+pc is indeed an Android On a Stick device.

First, if you were to shell out the dough on this, I would only opt for the 2GB RAM, 16GB SD RK3188, Mali-400 version of this product. The RK chip on this version is far more accomplished than the 1GB version. Bang for buck, definitely go for the quoted one.

USB Webcam and USB Mic compatible suggests that the ROM it uses has USB Host support baked in, which is necessary for connecting USB keyboards and mice (and game controllers - no guarantees your USB controller will work).

BT 3.0 is good for a device like this.

Mali-400 GPU is used in many Samsung devices, and there have been issues with some Samsung devices not being able to activate High Quality graphics due to a system flag TPA requires. I would check with other Samsung GS3 and GS4 Users (GPU chipset is the same from memory) to check whether they have the Quality = High setting available. This makes a huge difference to your enjoyment of the game.

It is Google Play certified, which means you don't have to hack on the Play Store after you get the device.

Processor speed would be perfectly adequate for playing TPA. 2GB RAM is also great for device longevity.

So if you can verify that the GPU is compatible with TPA, you should be good to pull the trigger on this. $75 is certainly worth the investment if it turns out that after your research it still doesn't meet your requirements (my opinion only, not taking into account your financial situation).

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Mali-400 GPU is used in many Samsung devices, and there have been issues with some Samsung devices not being able to activate High Quality graphics due to a system flag TPA requires. I would check with other Samsung GS3 and GS4 Users (GPU chipset is the same from memory) to check whether they have the Quality = High setting available. This makes a huge difference to your enjoyment of the game.

so, now I have a question?

I got a GS3 and a note 10.1, but were is this high settings quality thing you're talking about???
the only graphic option I see is mip mapping?

N

netizen

so, now I have a question?

I got a GS3 and a note 10.1, but were is this high settings quality thing you're talking about???
the only graphic option I see is mip mapping?

That answers the question then.

I only get the option on an Adreno GPU equipped device

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Now that pisses me off... bought this tablet a few months ago. I didn't know of tpa then anyway.

Someone knows a gameplay video with those high quality stuff???

I'd like to compare, see what I'm missing!

And still, I thought it looked very good!

Damn... I'm pissed now...

N

netizen

In that case, avoid this device Jim O'Brien.

He doesn't need to avoid it, but he does need to be aware that mipmapping will need to be turned off and that there is the potential of HDMI lag depending on the hardware controller and the display used.

I find that the quality high/normal switch difference is nominal, although I only have the switch on an non-HD device.

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Guys, you all have me very confused, I am a techy but you guys lost me in all this techy talk. What is the bottom line? Can he use this Android on a stick with Pinball Arcade? and if the answer is yes, then how? Since Pinball Arcade does not support Google TV which, I believe, the Android on a stick is, how would he be able to play it?

Also there is talk here regarding a GS3 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1... These both should have no problem at all playing Pinball Arcade. I have played it on both the Samsung Galaxy Note 1 and 3. The SGN 10.1 tab would be equivalent, if not a little better GPU, then my Galaxy Note 1, and I had no problem what so ever playing the Arcade, so I am very confused by everything that has been said since my last post lol Can you guys help me understand what I am missing? I would like to correct my thoughts if I am off base anywhere. I have extreme pet peeves of myself giving incorrect or ill fated knowledge or advise. Thanks!!

John

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
He doesn't need to avoid it, but he does need to be aware that mipmapping will need to be turned off and that there is the potential of HDMI lag depending on the hardware controller and the display used.

I find that the quality high/normal switch difference is nominal, although I only have the switch on an non-HD device.

Believe me, you want it.

After reading a disparaging TPA review from one of my circled friends who switched from a N7 2013 to a Gal Tab 8, the Quality settings matter. He cited blurry graphics as a main issue because he was so used to the High setting.

He did say that Mipmap = off did help a little bit with quality, so if you have that option you may find it acceptable.

I corrected his understanding that it wasn't TPA, but an issue with the Mali GPU on his device. He had no idea, and was wondering why the Quality menu was missing from his menu.

I do think that if the setting isn't available, the menu should be visible, but locked.

Something like:

Quality: Normal
But the menu item displayed in such a way that it is clear it is not a changeable value.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Believe me, you want it.

After reading a disparaging TPA review from one of my circled friends who switched from a N7 2013 to a Gal Tab 8, the Quality settings matter. He cited blurry graphics as a main issue because he was so used to the High setting

I think we have the same circled friend.
emeze5yq.jpg

I have the option on both N7 & SGS4 and it makes one hell of a difference. On=readable playfield inserts Off = blurry and unreadable, but obviously still playable.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think we have the same circled friend.
emeze5yq.jpg

I have the option on both N7 & SGS4 and it makes one hell of a difference. On=readable playfield inserts Off = blurry and unreadable, but obviously still playable.

Yep, Chris has been duly told. He appreciated me spending the time going through the issues. It's just a shame he hasn't changed his review to something a bit more forgiving.

Farsight needs to really start replying to users about their feedback. It makes reviews like this far less weighty if they explained that it is a device limitation and not the fault of the app.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
i just made a screenshot on my note 10.1
it is with mip mapping OFF with normal quality obviously since i don't have the high quality option...

and it runs perfectly smooth and all...

so i suppose you could expect this quality with this mini pc

ddtc.png

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Guys,

Can someone please help me understand what I stated in my last post? I am really confused and really need someone to explain what what you guys are all talking about. I am very unclear based on your post after my previous post. I have repeated my very last post that explains my confusion. I am not sure if you guys read it or not but I am trying to get on track in case what I said was wrong, I want to correct my thinking so that I don't give the wrong advise again. If no one wants to help me understand then I guess my input is not needed and I will retire from this thread.

Here is my last post:
Guys, you all have me very confused, I am a techy but you guys lost me in all this techy talk. What is the bottom line? Can he use this Android on a stick with Pinball Arcade? and if the answer is yes, then how? Since Pinball Arcade does not support Google TV which, I believe, the Android on a stick is, how would he be able to play it?

Also there is talk here regarding a GS3 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1... These both should have no problem at all playing Pinball Arcade. I have played it on both the Samsung Galaxy Note 1 and 3. The SGN 10.1 tab would be equivalent, if not a little better GPU, then my Galaxy Note 1, and I had no problem what so ever playing the Arcade, so I am very confused by everything that has been said since my last post lol Can you guys help me understand what I am missing? I would like to correct my thoughts if I am off base anywhere. I have extreme pet peeves of myself giving incorrect or ill fated knowledge or advise. Thanks!!

John

N

netizen

John
Only some Android on a stick are Google TV, it depends on the device. Which makes the definitive answer for the question maybe.
Re: the SGN2 and Note 10.1 it has to do witht he linked device having a mali 400 GPU and the issues that arose prior to mipmapping in this thread

I have no problems with reading inserts on either my Mali-T604 or PowerVR SGX540 GPU equipped devices. So again, as Jared mentioned, this is a mater of hardware, and not specifically about the settings.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
About the google tv thing i don't know.
For the other thing, that's why i posted a screenshot from my note 10.1.
It runs the game perfectly smooth and I wad not even aware of a high quality setting not showing on some device including mines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts