Just exactly what is meant to open and close the gate from the lower playfield?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Might be worth its own topic, but I don't mind if a table doesn't play exactly like the real thing because, with few exceptions, I've never played these tables in real life or 20+ years ago. As long as they're playable I play 'em!

countcb

Jul 16, 2012
The strange thing is that I played this table on 3 devices with THREE differen behaviours.

PS Vita: Hitting the Bumber, the yellow dot or the left plunger all close the gate
PS3: Same as Vita BUT the plunger will NOT close the gate
Android: Nothing on the lower playfield closes the gate.

I thought the reverted the udate that brought the change that nothing on the lower playfield will close the gate. So why is Android behaving like this?

On a side thought: Farsight included this Table in at least one other collections before TPA came out (I think there also is a ps1 or ps2 game which had this table, so it's more than one)... how comes that they just NOW find out that they don't know the rules?
Why hasn't this been noticed in one of the previous versions of this table?

Still have fun with this table! Don't get me wrong. Doon't want to blame anyone. Just wondering.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
On a side thought: Farsight included this Table in at least one other collections before TPA came out (I think there also is a ps1 or ps2 game which had this table, so it's more than one)... how comes that they just NOW find out that they don't know the rules?
Why hasn't this been noticed in one of the previous versions of this table?

Part of it is that there's no universal standard behavior on the real machine. The ability of the lower pop bumper to close the gate is apparently an operator setting. So the question becomes what setting should be used in the emulation. I think it took the inclusion in the TPA core pack to give the emulated table enough exposure that Farsight really heard people complaining that the behavior sucked the fun out of the lower playfield.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
We'll likely get another mid-month update that's focused on bug fixes; they've done that before. Don't fret these things will all come to pass.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
After the last update which fixed the top left roll over, multiplier, on the Vita, I noticed the table playes faster with a quicker ball speed. Did anyone else notice that as well?

Bride of Trolls

Jul 29, 2012
Nothing on the lower Playfield will close the gate once opened.

I can now confirm that once the gate is open, nothing on the lower playfield should close it.
For me there are three ways to underestand how the gate will stay open:

1) The gates stays open until the drains drains from the lower playfield to the upper playfield,
if the ball is shooten to the lower playfield again it is closed again.

2) Once opened the gate stays open during the complete ball.

3) The gate stays open during the complete game.

Which way is correct, the first, the second or the third?

At least it seems to me that i now understand how the important things in BH works,
but without the normal TPA instructions with pictures it was a little bit difficult, i think
i don't understand everything but the important things. Played my best BH score
today from one million to 2.4 million.

Let's hope that farsight fixes the gate with the next update, in which way ever.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Once the gate is opened, nothing on the lower playfield should close it. Several things on the upper playfield will close it, including the bumpers and the 10-point targets (which are behind the B-L-A-C-K and H-O-L-E drop targets).

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Was just about to repost man

Incase

Ok, so here is the down low on just exactly what is going on with BlackHole. In BlackHole, the real-life tables can run either way and we have seen them run both ways, where some the lower gate stays open ones opened, and others the gate will close due to various reasons. The reason the BH tables were reverted back to the old settings is because the rules did not match what was actually happening on the table. Once the rules are all up to standard, which I was just informed they are, BH will once again be re-reverted back to the fix with the rules matching completely. So there is hope in sight and BH will be updated in the next release. I hope that is the definitive answer you were all looking for. I know it isn't that great right now will the old fix in, but soon enough it will be updated accordingly.
-Jake
I've heard that the gate behavior was operator-selectable.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I don't know if this relates or not. I was playing Black Hole, mostly just staying in the upper playfield. And I would get balls going for a good run, and my "Ball" though was actually going from Ball 2 to Ball 1. It did this like, Idk, 5 or 6 times over. Is that a glitch or was I just kicking the tables ass and getting extra balls?

Also noticed, and this happens ALOT, in the lower section, not only does the ball fly through my flipper, I can actually pull the ball from BEHIND the flipper sometimes saving it when I shouldn't. So basically, it's glitched one way that kills you and another way that saves you, so actually it kinda balances lol. But the whole "gate opened, closed, opened, closed" bull****, hope that gets fixed cause that lower playfield is pretty much a death trap and a inevitable lost ball atm.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't know if this relates or not. I was playing Black Hole, mostly just staying in the upper playfield. And I would get balls going for a good run, and my "Ball" though was actually going from Ball 2 to Ball 1. It did this like, Idk, 5 or 6 times over. Is that a glitch or was I just kicking the tables ass and getting extra balls?

Also noticed, and this happens ALOT, in the lower section, not only does the ball fly through my flipper, I can actually pull the ball from BEHIND the flipper sometimes saving it when I shouldn't. So basically, it's glitched one way that kills you and another way that saves you, so actually it kinda balances lol. But the whole "gate opened, closed, opened, closed" bull****, hope that gets fixed cause that lower playfield is pretty much a death trap and a inevitable lost ball atm.

Yes, in the current version, if you get more than one extra ball, it will bounce you back from Ball 2 to Ball 1. You're actually only supposed to be able to get one extra ball at a time, and that is fixed in the upcoming update as well.

As for your second paragraph, check here:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/49-Lower-Playfield-Flipper-Issue

And again, the lower playfield gate issue will be fixed in the next update.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.