Kindle Fire Version 1.17.0 Discussion And Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
What would be the harm with having the Wii controller as an option?

Android 4.2 and upwards (4.3 is current) has a changed bluetooth protocol which means it cannot connect to a wiimote in it's stock condition. This probably will not be changing back.

The only current way to connect a wiimote above 4.2 with a stock rom is using a secondary app called 'USB/BT Gold' and you then have to plug in an OTG USB cable adapter, and a CSR USB bluetooth dongle. Not very convenient for the majority of users.

It would be much better to have native customisable controller support. That way any controller you can connect to your device could be configured to play with the app.

The Moga Pro is a favoured Android controller, as it can connect wirelessly to a non rooted device, with full analogue inputs for its two on board sticks.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
does the mogo pro have analogue or digital triggers?

I have had a hell of a time finishing the controller mapping due to the triggers sharing an axis output. In other words they are both mapped to, say, Z_AXIS where the left trigger goes from 0 to -1 and right from 0 to 1.

Therefore if they are held down they cancel eachother out. Brain dead to me but I am starting to wonder if its just the controller that I have (idroid snakebyte) that has this hardware limitation.

What are the most popular controllers out there in your guys' opinion?

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I`'ve run into the same issue dabbling in other platforms. Each controller has radically different behavior. Sadly the options I was reduced to consider was licensing a 3rd party middleware or use a fairly limited list of supported behaviors. I also found most of the controller manufactures to be as helpful as the language barrier allowed. Usually having it all fully documented on some crazy long url they'll email on request.
The ultimate problem is so many manufacturers are trying to cut costs to hit the under 20 bucks market and SOME do some crazy corner cutting to accommodate.
I also discovered you almost can't hit both buttons exactly at the same time so I'd use delta if's to guess at movements.
I really never found a perfect solution but would casually remind "you guys" it's not your fault the state of that industry is so scattered. Just pick the behaviour with the broadest compatibility and we'll find another 30 bucks if it's really that important.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!

Edit: I made useless post....
What munky said in android post

Six axis app does require root

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Android 4.2 and upwards (4.3 is current) has a changed bluetooth protocol which means it cannot connect to a wiimote in it's stock condition. This probably will not be changing back.

The only current way to connect a wiimote above 4.2 with a stock rom is using a secondary app called 'USB/BT Gold' and you then have to plug in an OTG USB cable adapter, and a CSR USB bluetooth dongle. Not very convenient for the majority of users.

It would be much better to have native customisable controller support. That way any controller you can connect to your device could be configured to play with the app.

The Moga Pro is a favoured Android controller, as it can connect wirelessly to a non rooted device, with full analogue inputs for its two on board sticks.

I'm not sure about Android, but as far as the Kindle Fire HD goes it works perfectly.

Many emulators have Wii Remote (and Classic Controller option as well) and its built into the emulator.
To connect any Wii Remote all you have to do is simply select the Wii Remote controller option and press A+B on the Wii Remote and within 5 seconds you have complete control of the Kindle Fire HD.

No rooting necessary.

The Wii Classic Controller has very nice triggers too, but I would be completely happy playing with even just the Wii Remote held sideways. It's very small, highly reactive and they are dirt cheap if you don't already own a bunch of them.

Last edited:

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Hmmm. I think I'll have to check out this wonderful option you suggest...sounds like I might actually want something wii assuming I outgrow dumbfire bluetooth keyboard ;) I really don't want to root the kindle if I can avoid it.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Actually, I've been researching more controllers for the Kindle Fire HD and this seems like it would be a good, cheap match.

Nyko Play Pad Controller $24.99
http://www.gamestop.com/android/accessories/nyko-play-pad-controller-black/104100

If they can't program in app support then at least keyboard mode should work (as long as it's added to TPA). Just as long as we can control the flippers via L/R triggers,
plunger, and tilt it would be fine.

Actually.. the Amazon reviews on it are a little concerning.
http://www.amazon.com/Playpad-Android-Bluetooth-PC-Mac-Linux/product-reviews/B0092ZEIN4/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

It sounds like a lot of them are shipping DOA.. either that or the people don't know how to change the modes (HID/KB/Mouse Emulation/App).
At least I know the Wii Remote is solid, has ZERO lag, and are dirt cheap (or free if you own one already).
It works perfect with the factory default (NOT ROOTED) Kindle Fire HD as of this writing, but I'm unsure about future versions of the modified Kindle's Android OS.

Last edited:

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
MogaPro ordered :) ¥a¥ me! Here's to hoping it gets some pin pounding action soon ;)
Good things come to those who wait!

Gamestop shows limited availability at 50 new. It seems any HID mode controller should work for the basics though and GS shows a house brand HID for 25.

Also, it's probably been mentioned but I'm getting consistently awful frame rates on black hole and going nuts. I've also randomly noticed that circus voltaire should have lights under the flipper rails, and scared stiff colors are funky in places.
Nuff ramblin

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
MogaPro kindle connectivity confirmed. B mode tested HID kindle fire hd 7"
Button actions didn't match the graphic shown in nova 3. Everything seemed "slid forward" on the controller by 2 buttons.
No pivot app in kindle store.
That being said it was easy to setup and has some nice features. Tested the June tpa beta and could map the same buttons that worked in nova 3 which was everything but the L2 and R2.

Gamestop had in-store pickup ready as soon as their store opened this morning.

Ok I shuts up and hopes Ryan gets more free time ;)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
MogaPro ordered :) ¥a¥ me! Here's to hoping it gets some pin pounding action soon ;)
Good things come to those who wait!

Gamestop shows limited availability at 50 new. It seems any HID mode controller should work for the basics though and GS shows a house brand HID for 25.

Also, it's probably been mentioned but I'm getting consistently awful frame rates on black hole and going nuts. I've also randomly noticed that circus voltaire should have lights under the flipper rails, and scared stiff colors are funky in places.
Nuff ramblin

You are using HID mode on the Kindle Fire?
I thought HID was blocked in their version of the BT spec.

$50 is a bit too much IMO to spend on a pad. I'd probably buy one for $25, but I'd still like to just use my Wii Remote. Nintendo pads are always very accurate and low latency.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Oddly from what I can tell, kindle does support the HID mode but not a wii remote (pairless bluetooth). I bought a wii remote last night to test and finally returned it accomplishing nothing. More than likely I was the problem though :p

My last controller cost $250 (but it came with a free ps3) ;)
The stand and clip for tablets/phones make a nice addition but the lack of kindle store driversware is still kind of a bummer.

Either way tho, it sure beats just touchscreen;)

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Oddly from what I can tell, kindle does support the HID mode but not a wii remote (pairless bluetooth). I bought a wii remote last night to test and finally returned it accomplishing nothing. More than likely I was the problem though :p

My last controller cost $250 (but it came with a free ps3) ;)
The stand and clip for tablets/phones make a nice addition but the lack of kindle store driversware is still kind of a bummer.

Either way tho, it sure beats just touchscreen;)

So which games have you tested with your Kindle Fire + MogaPro?

The Wii Remote has to have support built into the app. There are quite a few emulators that have this support and it works flawlessly. If you want to try them search for MD.emu, SNES9x.emu, PCE.emu, nes.emu, 2600.emu, neo.emu, among others. Just select the Wii Remote option and press the A+B buttons on the Wii Remote and you will have complete control over the emulator (menu + in game).

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I'm just discovering its very game by game. Bards Tale everything works perfect....GT auto nada. I was expecting a connection in the bluetooth manager which never appeared.
I am admittedly ignorant, I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts