Lanes and Games in Cambridge, MA (thanks Nightwing!)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Just went to this place last night. Since I relocated to the area a few weeks ago, I was hoping there would be a great place for silver ball action. This was definitely it.

I had chatted with Nightwing and he suggested the place. I am very grateful to him and owe him a beer and a credit on the table of his choice!

The place itself was about a six or seven minute walk from the alewife station at the end of Boston's redline subway. Easy to get to and a pretty safe walk for the most part. Lots of bunnies on the path. The building is pretty much the only business around Asgard as I could tell. The gateway inn hotel is next door but that place has a horrible reputation.

Inside the facility was really quite clean. The bottom floor is something called candlepin bowling which I look forward to trying some day. Smaller balls and pins. Upstairs is regular tenpin bowling. The game room was very nice. Foosball, air hockey, terminator salvation gun game, a couple racing games and other arcade machines I ignored. Lined up on one side of the room were the real attractions! Closest to the entrance (far right side of the tables) were the newest tables. Metallica was the first machine you come to followed by avengers (hulk edition with fist toppers), spider-man, x-men, iron man with mask topper, tron legacy, ac/dc, Simpsons pinball party With topper and Addams family with color DMD.

This was a nice selection considering the size of the room. All tables were maintained very nicely and while I was the only person in the room for about ten minutes, it filled up and for the next 40 at least three tables were constantly in use. Most of the machines were a dollar without bonus credit options. Addams and iron man were 75 cents, three plays for $2. Tron , and Simpsons offered 4 plays for three dollars.

Did not try any food there but a decent menu of typical bowling alley fare plus some additional selections were available. Great experience overall and can't wait to go back next weekend!

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
You are most welcome!
I figured that you would like it,especially with it being close to you. :)

Candlepin Bowling is an experience you should try. Differences from regular tenpin include:

• Small balls that you bowl one- handed
  • You get three balls per frame
  • Most important: You have to keep the fallen pins on the lane. You can hit them & use them to take out the pins still standing.

I can't say enough good things about Lanes & Games. Though next Saturday I'll be at the Pinball Wizard Arcade - soooo looking forward to that!

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
This takes me back! I spent many an hour playing pinball at Lanes & Games when I was in graduate school in the 1990s. Probably Star Trek: TNG most of all, though they had a Twilight Zone and an Addams Family as well.

Didn't play much candlepin there, because most of my friends greatly preferred tenpin, and Lanes & Games was unusual in that they actually offered both types of bowling (many places around here, including the place right up the street from me, only have candlepin).

I'm glad to hear that they've still got some pinball.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
AFAIK, when they say 'bowling' in New England, they mean candlepin bowling, as opposed to ten pin bowling that the rest of the world calls bowling.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
AFAIK, when they say 'bowling' in New England, they mean candlepin bowling, as opposed to ten pin bowling that the rest of the world calls bowling.

Actually, New England has three types of bowling - the aforementioned candlepin,duckpin - which is smaller bowling balls and pins,also three balls per string,but otherwise plays like tenpin,which is the universal bowling standard.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
You are most welcome!
I figured that you would like it,especially with it being close to you. :)

Candlepin Bowling is an experience you should try. Differences from regular tenpin include:

• Small balls that you bowl one- handed
  • You get three balls per frame
  • Most important: You have to keep the fallen pins on the lane. You can hit them & use them to take out the pins still standing.

I can't say enough good things about Lanes & Games. Though next Saturday I'll be at the Pinball Wizard Arcade - soooo looking forward to that!

That sounds really awesome. I will have to plan a trip there myself one day. Have an awesome time!

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
when i was growing up channel 27 used to air candle pin bowling out of cambridge. this may possibly be the bowling alley they aired the games from. That said AFAIK candlepin bowling is unique to state of MASS . Duckpin bowling is also 3 balls per frame and uses the small balls and the pins are smaller then the ten pins. However you do clear the dead wood out of the lane. I am not 100% sure but i think duckpins are unique to R.I. but i may be wrong on that.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
when i was growing up channel 27 used to air candle pin bowling out of cambridge. this may possibly be the bowling alley they aired the games from. That said AFAIK candlepin bowling is unique to state of MASS . Duckpin bowling is also 3 balls per frame and uses the small balls and the pins are smaller then the ten pins. However you do clear the dead wood out of the lane. I am not 100% sure but i think duckpins are unique to R.I. but i may be wrong on that.

Duckpin bowling is mostly found in RI,but you can also play in MA,CT,IN,MD,and supposedly there are alleys in the DC area & one in Nebraska. (We here in RI have our fair share of tenpin bowling as well)

Candlepin is mainly in MA. I also remember the candlepin bowling shows on channels 27 & 5 when I was growing up. You can also find candlepin places in the northern New England states. In fact,Funspot arcade has some candlepin lanes. I do think that there was a candlepin alley in RI when I was a child,but it has been closed for sometime.

In fact, going back to pinball - I played my first pinball game at what was my favorite duckpin alley,which was in Seekonk,MA. They had a decent arcade for its time. Sadly,it was demolished a number of years ago to make way for a Pep Boys store. (And,Yes - I do love bowling) :)

I really wish I could go there myself, Nightwing- but I might not have the time :(

I'm disguising my trip there as a segment for my access show - but I've been dying to go to TPWA ever since I found out that they were getting a WOZ - and that they also have Banzai Run as well. I'll be posting my thoughts about that arcade after I go.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
They also have the new Star Trek. Metallica is playing great. Simpsons is in fantastic shape. They do a great job there. And the bowling isn't half bad either!!!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts