Lawlor vs Ritchie (Steel Cage Match)

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
The comments in the "most overrated table" thread and my REALLY bad reaction to F-14 today made me aware of something. I probably should have figured it out sooner, but I'm slow.

A lot of the tables I dislike the most in TPA - many of which are the ones a lot of y'all seem to love the most - are Steve Ritchie designs. Notably: Firepower, Black Knight, T2, and this F-14. What I should have figured out is that I dislike all these tables for the same reason.

The ball moves too damned fast.

These tables move the ball at such speeds that I can't actually keep track of where it is. I'm a lousy pinball player, but these are the only tables in here where I make mistakes not because of lousy play but because I can't keep pace with the ball. F-14 shoots balls past the flippers so fast that by the time I react it's already gone.

I'm not actually ninety years old. I may not have the reflexes of some overheated 14-year-old, but I ain't THAT slow. These tables are just geared for nothing but speed speed speed. And when you get past the speed, they're ... kinda dull.

So that's the classic Steve Ritchie design, then? All about moving the ball fast and not so much about providing interesting things to do with it.

(Ironically, the two High Speed tables - which are ABOUT his need for speed - and his speeding tickets, heh - are the two I can usually manage to play, but I still don't find them very interesting.)

It occurred to me - when reading about people disliking Lawlor tables - that Lawlor tables are kind of the opposite. They don't play super fast, but they have lots of noises and gimmicks and fun trickery and things to do. Most of my favorites in TPA are Lawlor designs.

Of course, the difference could be an even simpler one: Lawlor tables are fun to play even for hacks like me who aren't very good; but Ritchie tables are no fun until/unless you get very good at them.

Flame away. I can take it.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Celebrity deathmatch

Feel th power

If I was stranded on a island and could only choose pat or stevie, I'd choose a pretty lady

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
AND GOODBYE TO ANYONE STANDING IN JOHN CENA'S WAY!

(Lawlor, by the way, though I have some Ritchie favorites.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'd need a picture of Ritchie before ruling on that. I know what Lawlor looks like.

Your wish is my command, ma'am!

Steve Ritchie:
steve.jpg

Pat Lawlor:
hqdefault.jpg

And FWIW... Brian Eddy:
hqdefault.jpg

George Gomez:
Gomez-TWD-Mustang.jpg

John Popadiuk:
99.jpg

John Borg:
Metallica-pinball-John-Borg.png

Keith P. Johnson:
maxresdefault.jpg

Ed Krynski:
krynski1.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
More...

Dwight Sullivan:
Expo2K-8DwightSullivan.jpg

Jon Norris:
34b8892.jpg

Mark Ritchie:
87.jpg

Barry Oursler:
barryoursler_2095.jpg

John "Doctor Flash" Trudeau:
JohnTrudeau.jpg

Joe Kaminkow:
IMG_1965.jpg

Lyman F. Sheats:
Pinball-competition.jpg

Dennis Nordman:
ohio_2.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
Still more...

Lonnie Ropp:
2574140-lonnie+ropp+2.jpg

the notorious Dave Christensen:
Dave-Christensen-Expo-2009.jpg

Doug Watson:
7fc91bc40df9c527733a720f87b4ee6c.jpg

Margaret Hudson:
IMG_3389.jpg

Joe Balcer:
JoeBalcer.jpg

Greg Kmiec:
hqdefault.jpg

Jim Patla with Paul Faris:
74.jpg

John Youssi:
youssi.jpg

invitro

May 4, 2012
Somebody help me, I can't stop...

Chris Granner:
Cgranzo.jpg

Larry "L.E.D." DeMar:
VP_DeMa_2002.jpg

and last but not by any means least, the late Python Anghelo:
Python.jpg

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Of course, the difference could be an even simpler one: Lawlor tables are fun to play even for hacks like me who aren't very good; but Ritchie tables are no fun until/unless you get very good at them.

Flame away. I can take it.

No flame here. This is actually a pretty good assessment.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
invitro,you forgot gomez.

I vote for Ritchie. I love the fast pace. lawlor has way to much stop and go for my taste.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Most lawlor games in TPA are MUCH easier than real life. they are utterly brutal when you try the real thing.

I'm not bad at f-14 in real life myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts