license issues is a tiger blocking the way

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
these days i browsed many threads about video games theme like add super mario bros to Pinball Arcade,but seems without exception everyone says "unfortunately",really some video games theme base tables must say goodbye to Pinball Arcade?but some even i haven't seen it before :(

Neko20

Jan 7, 2015
it is quite the annoyance for sure. 'Jurassic Park' is one I really hope for, but the licensing is probably outrageous

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
it is quite the annoyance for sure. 'Jurassic Park' is one I really hope for, but the licensing is probably outrageous
i heard some game theme tables like Super Mario Bros、PACMAN、Street Fighter、Back to the Future(had a s*it game in NES,AVGN have preview),really hope i can see these theme tables appears in TPA
but seems movie theme table more easy get licensing even by crowdfunding

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
There is a lot that goes into it. Music, actor likenesses, licensed product placement (ads), actor speech, the studio or gaming co that owns the license. Any one of these things can ruin the chances of seeing a pin come to TPA.
So you just never know unless Farsight tells us. Some they say were a joy to work with, like Elvira (a pinball fan herself). Others are near impossible to even get a discussion with (Disney).
But Farsight has surprised us before. So keep requesting your favorites and keep your fingers crossed that it happens. :)

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
There is a lot that goes into it. Music, actor likenesses, licensed product placement (ads), actor speech, the studio or gaming co that owns the license. Any one of these things can ruin the chances of seeing a pin come to TPA.
So you just never know unless Farsight tells us. Some they say were a joy to work with, like Elvira (a pinball fan herself). Others are near impossible to even get a discussion with (Disney).
But Farsight has surprised us before. So keep requesting your favorites and keep your fingers crossed that it happens. :)

Just look at TAF-nobody expected to see it in TPA, as it was at one point considered "unreachable". Plus FarSight was able to broker a deal with Sony that brought us a couple of good licensed tables. Doctor Who was also considered no bueno due to licensing and FarSight was able to snag a deal with them. They were even able to get someone (the illuminati perhaps????) to back AC/DC.

With those examples, as well as TPA sales, FarSight should be able to gain more negotiating power. BTW, that illuminati reference was satirical-not to be taken seriously.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Just look at TAF-nobody expected to see it in TPA, as it was at one point considered "unreachable". Plus FarSight was able to broker a deal with Sony that brought us a couple of good licensed tables. Doctor Who was also considered no bueno due to licensing and FarSight was able to snag a deal with them. They were even able to get someone (the illuminati perhaps????) to back AC/DC.

With those examples, as well as TPA sales, FarSight should be able to gain more negotiating power. BTW, that illuminati reference was satirical-not to be taken seriously.

TAF didn't get all the rights. Christopher Lloyd refused, so Farsight had to edit him out of the game. I know the artwork was modified, not sure about the audio.

Doctor Who was probably easier - I'm sure the BBC probably has a more complete contract - remember it's licensing a whole bunch of stuff, but sometimes, you only have to deal with one person for that "whole bunch of stuff". If the BBC retained full rights to everything (name, likeness, audio, etc) in perpetuity and for any use, then Farsight only deals with the BBC. American rights are harder because typically people only license what they need - e.g., a movie only license what's in the movie. If they didn't think of merchandising rights, then the license holder has to deal with individual actors to license the merchandising rights too.

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
BTW
i remember Nintendo has authorized many their games appeared in other platforms,likes
Hotel Mario
Zelda The Faces of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Mario Kart Arcade GP2
and current is Pokemon GO

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
弹珠台;245556 said:
i remember Nintendo has authorized many their games appeared in other platforms,likes
Hotel Mario
Zelda The Faces of Evil
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
Zelda's Adventure
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Mario Kart Arcade GP2
and current is Pokemon GO
How many of those were made by a company other than Nintendo? :)

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
Hotel Mario and Zelda are CD-i games by Philips,Mario Kart Arcade GP series are Triforce games by Namco,Pokemon GO is Android&IOS games by Niantic Labs

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
弹珠台;245605 said:
Hotel Mario and Zelda are CD-i games by Philips,Mario Kart Arcade GP series are Triforce games by Namco,Pokemon GO is Android&IOS games by Niantic Labs

Well, Back when Sony was doing the Nintendo PlayStation, Nintendo decided to screw over Sony and work with Philips (and their CD-i platform). So the fact those Mario games exist on CD-i was due to that collaboration. Can't speak about the Mario Kart Arcade games. Pokemon Go is licensed by The Pokemon Company (minority owned by Nintendo - about 30%) to Niantic Labs, so it isn't technically Nintendo. There was a big oops a couple of weeks ago as Nintendo investors realized that Nintendo didn't actually OWN Pokemon.

Oh, and yes, the CD attachment for SNES was supposed to play CD-i games, had it ever been released. (The Nintendo PlayStation you see circulating the internet is Sony's venture to produce a CD addon for the SNES, not the Nintendo-Philips venture).

Members online

Members online