Linux version status

swift

Apr 7, 2014
Back in 2013 we were promised a linux version. The FAQ regarding the linux version states: "Once we've managed to release on the major consoles we'll have more time to invest in new platforms."
The console versions are out for some time now. So now we should get some kind of time frame, if they really mean to release it. Cause i'm not going back to the spyware OS that windows has become.
It shouldn't be that much work, since they already have a working android version, so maybe they can share some code between versions.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
I don't believe that linux port will ever happen. An as linux user myself, I was hoping for that. But since than I tried PC version more than once and that is not something that I actually want, mobile versions are way more fun and practical for me. So I just stopped caring for linux port. They should rather invest that resources to improve android version.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
After comparing the Mac version under El Capitan to the PC version under Windows XP on the same machine (2012 Mac Mini), the PC version looks better lighting-wise, but the gameplay definitely feels faster/harder on the Mac version. I was just killing on the PC version without even trying, but games like Firepower and Junkyard felt much closer to the real machine on the Mac version for some reason. I don't know why that it is, though. One assumes they use the same basic physics engine.

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
I have given up hope for a Linux port. There just aren't that many of us out there playing virtual pinball. If a real Linux port comes around I'd probably grab it and buy all the tables packs (again) but for now the PS4 is how I play, with video going to my computer monitor and sound through my computer speakers. I have had success with getting TPA to work well really well with Wine however, if you want any tips.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
One assumes they use the same basic physics engine.
They do, developer Mike Reitmeyer already confirmed that.

Better lighting (even DX9) requires more computing power.
You also experience a performance drop when you run Windows in a virtual enviroment and not directly on iron.
Next thing is, most PC players here focus on the DX11 version. Windows XP doesn't support DX11.

Last edited:

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Ironically, back when games on Windows were still being written with OpenGL support you used to get better performance under WINE than on Windows. That was mostly because the Windows OpenGL drivers were a bit crap due to focus on the DirectX drivers, whereas Linux only had OpenGL to worry about.

In general, the performance drop from running in WINE is pretty low even with DirectX translation. Unfortunately I think its going to be some time before we get DirectX 11 support working well enough in WINE.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Back in 2013 we were promised a linux version. The FAQ regarding the linux version states: "Once we've managed to release on the major consoles we'll have more time to invest in new platforms."
The console versions are out for some time now. So now we should get some kind of time frame, if they really mean to release it. Cause i'm not going back to the spyware OS that windows has become.
It shouldn't be that much work, since they already have a working android version, so maybe they can share some code between versions.

"Promises" from FarSight do not mean squat. We have also been "promised" the WiiU version, a new GUI, pinball-cabinet support, "Orbals", DLC for the Xbox 360 and DX11 support. We are, just now getting DX11 support, 360 DLC once a year, no new GUI as of yet, and pinball-cabinet support has been pushed to the back burner. No sign of Orbals, or the WiiU version which has been advertised since 2012.

The only reason I will put up with the invasive virus-prone spyware that has for years been called Windows is for Steam. Consoles just do not get support for my favorite games assuming they get the games at all.

Any company that advertises a non-existent game as available for three years should have no credibility in the game industry. I'm surprised that a reputable company like Stern is so eager to work with them. Oh well, whatever helps Jersey Jack's!

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Just bumping to check if there's any updates on the matter. I'd have just written it off as vaporware by now if it wasn't for the linux question in the FAQ of TPA's own site.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.