Metroid Prime

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
A looooong time ago, I got to play about 20 minutes of this game.

Of course then, the Nintendo Gamecube was in the then current console generation and there really was not much better technologically.

After picking up MP: Corruption for the Wii, it's been sitting and sitting, as I had Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime: Echoes on order from Lukie Games and had to wait over 3 weeks for delivery (it's the cheapest option and was an expected delivery time).

I've been trying to power through Super Metroid. I'll be honest, I find the game so frustrating and was starting to worry that Metroid Prime might not be for me.

To divulge my setup.
I'm playing on an early generation Wii, with GC Backward Compatibility.
I'm playing through component cables into my TV using Progressive Mode for 480p.
My TV sound is output via TOSLINK Optical cable to my Surround Receiver which has full Dolby Pro Logic II support.

Funny experience, the first level I thought the sound was a bit aenemic, turns out the the game defaults to Mono, and I still had to fiddle around with the Wii sound settings to actually get Dolby Surround. Suffice it to say that fiddling around was worth it.

I've said this a few times. I love the GameCube. You see...I'm a huge Dreamcast fanboy, but a lot of my love for it is also affected by rose tinted glasses. My XBOX is the same, although I must say that a lot of my old favorite XBOX games haven't really aged all that well. This is what makes the GC so special to me. I never had one until a few years after having an XBOX 360. I have no nostalgia or good memories with the system. This makes all the games new experiences to me, and I get to experience them fresh, yet spoiled by new hardware, and it still is generally a great experience.

But this post isn't about the GameCube, it's about Metroid Prime and I want to return to it.

My worries caused by Super Metroid so far have been unfounded, though the first 10 minutes I wanted to tie the person who designed the controls to a horse and slap the horses behind and watch the guy get dragged into the sunset...I think, much like in Shenmue, by the end of the game, even fathoming the controls differently will be considered a form of heresy.

Despite the fact that 480p just doesn't look that good by todays standards, resolution aside, the game looks great and has aged surprisingly well. It's so far very smooth and even though it's first person, the platforming aspect is actually functional (ask me why I never finished Half Life).

I'm still early in the game. I've only fought one boss, unless that group of wasp things guarding the missiles is considered a boss, I considered it more of a trap or something. So far I am enthralled.

I made this thread in case anyone wants to reminisce or if anyone was looking for a great retro game to play. I look forward to posting later on to update on my progress.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I couldn't get into the 1st person transition. Let me know your thoughts when you've completed the game. Maybe i missed something great.

That being said, the Gamecube and Dreamcast are the only consoles i've kept over the years. Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron are all-time greats for me. Only game i have or Dreamcast is Soul Caliber. My friends banned me from playing as Sophitia or Siegfried for reasons of parity.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Metroid Prime...this has got to be one of the best game series ever created. I had the opportunity to play the Trilogy on the Wii and it played fantastically.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm looking to buy the trilogy as long as I can get a good collectors edition for a reasonable price. I think some guy on ebay probably thinks I'm a big A-Hole because i tried 3 max bids and he had already max bid higher and i raised his bid price by over 30$ in a few seconds lol

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Metroid Prime is one of the best game I ever played (easily in my top 5). Echoes and Corruption are good too, but back in 2002, the first Metroid Prime was really a pure blast. And it is still. IMO, the sequels don't reach this level of perfection.

I finished MP seven times (hard mode, 100% items & log book without walktrough as I liked so much this game). And I even made a run just to play with the Fusion suit (back in time, you had to downlad it via the NGC/GBA connection with Metroid Fusion cartridge, but I guess the suit is an unlockable item in the Wii compilation).

Graphics, ambiance, music, level design. Everything is awesome in this game. I can't speak too much further as I don't want to spoil you.

And OMG, this menu and music (missing in the Wii compilation, a shame!). It gives me chills every time:

Funny thing is that a pinball game based on the game was released on NDS. Pretty good too.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'll probably pick up the do game for my daughter's 3ds.

The nice thing about having never really played it before is that I get to enjoy it without being clouded by nostalgia.

Though I'm sure having that nostalgia would be a sure boost to enjoyment. I'm thankful to have a fresh experience. A couple times now I've jumped out of my seat thanks to relative quiet becoming a blast of noise from all directions because I ran into a room and forgot I'd be ambushed from enemies tunneling underground or a wall tentacle knocking me into harmful radioactive water.

So far the backtracking has been reasonable as well. The game is simply brilliant so far.

My fiance was watching and told me the game looked like Counter Strike and I got mad at her and started explaining how the similarities are only cosmetic at best.

The visor effects in heat or the rain are amazing. The overall detail is astounding as well.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Super Mario Sunshine and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle were some of the very first video games I ever played!

They also scarred me for life. I couldn't bear to walk to a flower in SMS and see a Pokey pop out, and I couldn't bear to walk into a treasure room in SA2B and see a jump scare ghost pop out. Don't know what my deal is with jump scares though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
***THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS***

So yesterday I got to the mechanical thing that has two arms that shoot fire and it rotates. When you damage it it shoots fire upward and angers the war wasps.

The first time was hell. But I had to defeat it so that I could get the morph ball bombs, so I could get eaten by that weird frog thing and get through the door it was blocking so i could morph ball bomb the switch so I could lower the radioactive water so I could get to the door but obviously I could hear a tone telling me that the water level was lowered "for a limited time only" so I hung around and after a while the tone got faster and more urgent so I just killed some of those bat things that torpedo at you when you get near and collected missles and stuff.

It was bedtime at that point so instead of moving forward, I went back to the save point...at least I know where I want to go, but I want to go back and collect some things now that I have the morph ball bombs.

There are a bunch of these half-pipe things though and I really want to find the dash or whatever enhancement so I can get up those as well.

This game kind of reminds me of the sims. I got this...now I just need to do this this this this this this this and get this to be happy.....phew.
[MENTION=2355]Captain B. Zarre[/MENTION]
If you still have a cube or even a Cube compatible Wii, I suggest giving this a run through. You would probably love it. The jump scares are there but usually followed by a huge sheepish grin.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
There are a bunch of these half-pipe things though and I really want to find the dash or whatever enhancement so I can get up those as well.

You'll need to find out what it is called then.

This post above really doesn't contain any major spoilers for those who know Metroid, but I do know what happens throughout the whole Trilogy...and the storyline is just so well written.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
You'll need to find out what it is called then.

This post above really doesn't contain any major spoilers for those who know Metroid, but I do know what happens throughout the whole Trilogy...and the storyline is just so well written.
I think it's the dash or morph ball boost. I'll probably prefix most of my posts with a spoiler warning just to be safe.

I usually post on message boards in an extremely stream of concious manner so usually what I intended to say gets omitted and other stuff pops up.

Currently I'm fighting the giant plant with the lights. Killed me twice but I got the pattern down this time I think. Those scythe wall tentacle vine guys are annoying and the runes were kind of dumb in the one room that leads to the giant plant guy. I couldn't activate the one in the grass for the life of me for a bit.

Anyway it's bedtime and I will beat the plant guy tomorrow.

Scumble373

FarSight Employee
Jul 1, 2014
I think metroid prime has to be one of the greatest games on Gamecube. Metroid Prime 2 was also really good.....call me a purist, but I thought corruption was GARBAGE.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I think metroid prime has to be one of the greatest games on Gamecube. Metroid Prime 2 was also really good.....call me a purist, but I thought corruption was GARBAGE.

Err... Garbage is a little bit extreme. ^^

Corruption has great controls via the Wiimote, level design is as good as in the previous MP, some music tracks are awesome (Bryyo or SkyTown) and some environments too (SkyTown again and the Valhalla wreck) and a lot of new game mechanics are very fun and immersive (e.g. grapple). Some references to Super Metroid with the Aurora Unit / Mother Brain are welcome.

What seems wrong to me is obviously the Hyper-Mode thing, which makes you almost invicible. Even in the hardest difficulty, if you're cautious, nothing really tough. Too bad.

I also think there could have been better to do with the other bounty hunters, than only use them as bosses. Same thing for Samus' ship (I wish I could pilot freely in space, between planets, even as a simple gimmick).

And like in Echoes, the Federation is so much bland. Eek.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts