Mike Kubin, Stern designer, my friend, died this week.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Some here will recognize the name, but Mike designed the second most requested Stern game (by a whisker), Seawitch.
He came through the ranks from engineering, assisting Harry Williams on Flight 2000, the ultimate winner on this site. He also had a hand in numerous other titles as engineer before getting his signature on designs of his own. It's safe to say that Seawitch was his pride and joy though, and that's how we met:
I'd go into the bar every day after work to drink martinis and play that game. One day the owner introduced Mike to me as 'the guy who made that game', and soon after we were best of pals. We were both single then, so most of the good stories can't be told in public. But I can share one quick one re pinball:
I'd been to the Stern factory numerous times to visit Mike at work (I actually met Harry Williams there!) and on one visit told Mike I loved the backglass art on Quicksilver. He asked if I wanted one, but we couldn't find any in the plant. So we went to Gary Stern's office and took the one he had hanging on his wall. That glass is still hanging in my basement along with "The *****" (as we affectionately called Seawitch) and Warlock, a game Mike designed for Williams.
I eventually married and moved to the suburbs, he did the same a few years later. We were both busy with "responsibilities", and eventually lost touch for nearly 15 years. Until...
TPA published the Stern "most wanted" poll. I was so excited that Seawitch was actually in the running that I tracked Mike down via Facebook (really, my wife did it since I'm not on it) to tell him about TPA and this site. He'd heard of neither but we spoke for a good 45 minutes and it was like we'd never lost touch. Caught up on jobs, kids, wives, and life in general. We also relived some of the old days, laughing much. We left it with me promising to bring my iPad to him and showing him Seawitch when TPA made it.
That can't happen now, but a couple thoughts:
If it hadn't been for this site and the poll, I probably wouldn't have gotten nostalgic to reach out to Mike. Thank you all for that! And...
I can't think of a greater gift I could present to his kids than Seawitch immortalized for the ages by a TPA version. If any mods here would be kind enough to point Farsight to this post I'd appreciate it. Maybe it can happen sooner rather than later. I've just learned that there's no guarantee of "later".
Mike was 57 and leaves two teens and his wife. It was my pleasure to be his friend, and to appreciate his contributions to the game we all love.
Thanks for your indulgence.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story, it really was a pleasure to read and I'm glad the TPA poll brought you back together as friends. Mike Kubin designed some incredible games, Seawitch among them.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
First off, my condolences for your (and the pinball community's) loss of a close friend and great pinball designer. I'm glad that The Pinball Arcade and the Stern Poll were able to unite two close friends after nearly 15 years of separation and you two were able to catch up a bit before he passed.

Poll #5 : Stern/Data East/Sega of our Top Ten Most Wanted Table Poll Series will take place August 4, 2013 - August 17, 2013 and Seawitch is already scheduled to be one of the 30 tables in the poll. I have no doubt that Seawitch will rank very high in the Top Ten tables selected by the pinball community in that poll. The poll results will be forwarded to Bobby King (Lead Designer at FarSight Studios) for consideration to be included in The Pinball Arcade.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and great designer, Mike Kubin. And thank you for sharing your touching story with us. Seawitch was my favorite from that Stern era (and there were some really good ones). Just a super combination of gameplay, art & sound.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Sorry for your loss. 57 is too soon!

Hopefully if the pinball gods smile upon us, we'll get to play sea***** some day. :)

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I am also sorry to hear about your loss Wizened. I am glad that you were able to reconnect again because of the Stern poll. I got to play SeaWitch for the first time this last Wednesday. The machine looked brand new. It was added a month ago to the arcade I was at Wednesday. The machine must have arrived directly from the workshop that refurbished the machine.

It was great fun to play and none of the pictures or videos I saw while researching for the Stern poll does this machine justice. It's a beautiful machine, is great fun to play and deserves to be part of the TPA.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for sharing that, Wizened--a great story about the backglass, and I'm glad he got to hear about his table doing well in the poll. I didn't know anything about him before your post, but looking him up on IPDB I see he also designed Lectronamo, another fine table.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Wizened, sorry to hear this.

I voted for Seawitch in the recent poll, as it looks like a classic table in every sense. I think at the time of voting I commented on it's 'speed, art and sound'. Looks like it has everything you could wish for in a well designed table.

Hopefully FarSight will eventually bring it to TPA one day.

And on that day I will be having a few Martini's in honour of Mike and yourself.

Best wishes buddy.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Sorry to hear this, and I will certainly be seeking out Seawitch in real life and hopefully here on TPA in honour of your friend.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I saw SeaWitch in a Youtube video of an Australian gentleman's collection , out of the 30 various and mostly classic pins he documented, That machine table stood above the rest , so Im a big fan of getting it on TPA this year.
Thanks for sharing , and my condolences on the loss of your friend.

Wizened

Jun 10, 2012
Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. Sheryl, Mike's wife, has seen and appreciates them too.

karl

May 10, 2012
Sad to hear about your loss but glad you got a chance to reconnect.

Thank you for sharing your story with us, it made a big impression.

I voted for Seawitch on the last poll and I will vote for it again when the Stern/Data east/Sega poll opens in a month and I sincerely hope we will get Seawitch on the TPA for you, his family and all the rest of us to enjoy

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.