Modded iCade Core with side buttons

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
If you decide to go with the GoldLeaf Pushbuttons their diameter is 27mm. Since they are screw-on they will fit perfectly in the existing holes.

Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for this tip. I ordered some GoldLeaf buttons and replaced the bottom row of buttons on the iCade. They are a million times nicer than the ones that come with the unit! I may replace all of them now. I'm also thinking about building some sort of pinball controller for the Playstation3 using a dismantled dualshock controller and some of these buttons.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Glad you are satisfied with them. Yeah, the difference is night and day! How are you finding playing TPA with the iCade buttons on the unit? There's no way I'd be able to play that way, that's why I mounted on the side.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Glad you are satisfied with them. Yeah, the difference is night and day! How are you finding playing TPA with the iCade buttons on the unit? There's no way I'd be able to play that way, that's why I mounted on the side.
Hasn't improved my game play at all but my hands/wrists certainly appreciate the lighter touch!

Samandor

May 31, 2013
If all the controls were removed from the top, and an iPad cradle set nearer the front and flattened to about 15 degrees, this would be a perfect laptop TPA platform. Ion should either make one, or sell icade guts as a kit for fanatics.

I ordered one of these a couple days ago, then saw your mod - great job! It won't be long before I void the warranty!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
If all the controls were removed from the top, and an iPad cradle set nearer the front and flattened to about 15 degrees, this would be a perfect laptop TPA platform. Ion should either make one, or sell icade guts as a kit for fanatics.

I ordered one of these a couple days ago, then saw your mod - great job! It won't be long before I void the warranty!

This is what you want. I'm in the process of making mine now.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4587-My-Pinball-Arcade-Cabinet-%28iPinCade%29

Samandor

May 31, 2013
That is sweet! I'm thinking of something more scaled-down - maybe attached to a lap desk. Also thinking of control options for the Mac. I really hate using buttons for nudge, though. (Another idea for FS - setup to allow the iPad to be used as a Bluetooth controller for desktop and/or console versions. Having purchased both, shouldn't there be a way to make them work together?)

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Never did get my side buttons installed due to other projects taking up all my time. Should hopefully have some time this weekend once i buy the 28mm spade bit.

Things change so fast on this iCade thread, so what's the latest "ideal" setup - is it joystick nudge now?

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I am doubting too.... Will i build a controller like device with pinbuttons, or do i want to go all out and build a full pin cabinet.....

Maybe i do both, and start first with the controller.

On youtube i saw some guys that only made a box with buttons. It looked ugly, but i think that plays the best.

My virtual pinfriends, these are difficult descisions men need to make in life, ;-).

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Never did get my side buttons installed due to other projects taking up all my time. Should hopefully have some time this weekend once i buy the 28mm spade bit.

Things change so fast on this iCade thread, so what's the latest "ideal" setup - is it joystick nudge now?

The only nudging supported on iCade right now is the original left and right. There hasn't been any word from FS on whether or not they will add the new up nudging. I think the "ideal" placement for nudging is a button on the side. You can get to it very quickly without moving your hands away from the flippers buttons.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Has anyone tried these side button mods with ION's larger wooden upright iCade unit?
I'm guessing this one would have much more room to accommodate side buttons?

Turbine

May 19, 2012
The only nudging supported on iCade right now is the original left and right. There hasn't been any word from FS on whether or not they will add the new up nudging. I think the "ideal" placement for nudging is a button on the side. You can get to it very quickly without moving your hands away from the flippers buttons.

Thanks. I like the idea of joystick nudging, but might not be that practical to move your and that far and back again in time.

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Has anyone tried these side button mods with ION's larger wooden upright iCade unit?

I saw this one before I started my dedicated iCade pin cab: http://osxonthinkpads.wikidot.com/icade-pinball-edition

I'm actually planning on just adding 4 buttons to the sides of my second original iCade model, just so it could be more of a complete cabinet for arcade games and pinball. However, you're somewhat limited to drill just anywhere on the sides because there is a plastic surround behind the wood, underneath the existing controls. Depending where you place the pinball buttons, it may take additional work than simply drilling holes.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Thanks for the link Codeena :)
I'm thinking of just keeping the cab in it's original upright position and adding the buttons to the sides. Though I'm just guessing at this stage because I don't actually have it in my hands (only ordered it last Thursday).

I also have a spare full size pinball cab from an old EM that was beyond repair, which I plan on fitting a 40" LCD screen into and connecting the iPad into via HDMI, as opposed to going the whole Visual Pinball & PinMame setup.

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
I just realized the best nudging option would be shake to nudge if you had the custom built cabinet. If the iPad was secure and TPA gave some sensitivity options for shake, you could have it work like a real machine.

Samandor

May 31, 2013
I just realized the best nudging option would be shake to nudge if you had the custom built cabinet. If the iPad was secure and TPA gave some sensitivity options for shake, you could have it work like a real machine.

Exactly! The iPad capability is there.

Samandor

May 31, 2013
I saw this one before I started my dedicated iCade pin cab: http://osxonthinkpads.wikidot.com/icade-pinball-edition

I'm actually planning on just adding 4 buttons to the sides of my second original iCade model, just so it could be more of a complete cabinet for arcade games and pinball. However, you're somewhat limited to drill just anywhere on the sides because there is a plastic surround behind the wood, underneath the existing controls. Depending where you place the pinball buttons, it may take additional work than simply drilling holes.

Yikes! Repurposing of the cabinet may have made purchasing that instead of the Core unit worthwhile. Think I'm staying the course for a laptop design in the meantime (buttons ordered).

Samandor

May 31, 2013
I haven't opened the iCade yet, but if it's possible to remove the springs from the joystick, might it be hung as a pendulum in the cabinet for a more proper nudge simulation?

Codeena

May 5, 2013
Thanks for the link Codeena :)
I'm thinking of just keeping the cab in it's original upright position and adding the buttons to the sides. Though I'm just guessing at this stage because I don't actually have it in my hands (only ordered it last Thursday).

I also have a spare full size pinball cab from an old EM that was beyond repair, which I plan on fitting a 40" LCD screen into and connecting the iPad into via HDMI, as opposed to going the whole Visual Pinball & PinMame setup.

Cool Dagwood. You'll probably see what I meant about drilling in the buttons what you open up your unit.

As far as your full-size iCade cab plan, I'm afraid Gord Lacey had mentioned that TPA does not work well with HDMI. In addition, are you certain a 40" would fit in your cab? I have a standard-sized full-size cab and it barely fit a 37", and that was after I decased it. Perhaps you'd need to do some additional cutting to your cab.

pra4snw

Nov 21, 2012

Just got my iCade with wooden cabinet today - great deal on Amazon right now - and immediately wanted to relocate the buttons. I found this thread and got excited to see that it had already been done on the Core. Too bad I didn't see it earlier, or I might have just picked up one of those.

Anyway, what's done is done, the cabinet is actually pretty cool. When assembling it, it's just the Core surrounded with wood, so I imagine screw on buttons would be needed for the extra depth. If anyone has attempted adding side buttons to one of these, I'd like to hear about it.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Got my iCade today too! :)

I'm impressed with it's size & solid build. My only disappointment is that I can't play some of he retro Atari games like Lunar Lander in portrait mode, other than that, the wooden cabinet and rubber feet offer good stability even when playing rough, though I do need to find a way to lock the iPad in place, because it tends to fall out easily when playing on unstable surfaces.

I also now see what people mean about the lack of available space for installing flipper buttons on the sides ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.