Monitor rotate for DX11 on PC

TheTrain

Jan 9, 2017
Hello all!

New poster but long time reader of the forum.

I am in the process of slowly building my first cabinet and have run into a head scratcher when it comes to Pinball Arcade and DX11 rotation.

I am unable to run the game in portrait mode on DX11 at the proper aspect ratio. It just shows a cut down version of the game in the middle of the screen.

Things I have checked already:
- Do I have DX11 installed = Yes, confirmed with dxdiag
- Can I run Pinball Arcade as DX11 in landscape mode = Yes
- Have I fixed the save issues with the configure menu = Yes, moved to a non-Stern folder
- Have I tried launching from Steam and PinballArcade11 = Yes
- Have I tried different orientations of the monitor = Yes, landscape and portrait as well as flipped
- Have I tried starting in widowed = Yes, as well as Alt+Entering into game a few times

Am I missing something obvious here?

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Do you have a 16:10 monitor?
I remember reports of players that tpa doesn't support 16:10 properly.
(I have 16:9)

TheTrain

Jan 9, 2017
Do you have a 16:10 monitor?
I remember reports of players that tpa doesn't support 16:10 properly.
(I have 16:9)

Normal 1920x1080 (16:9).

I know you have to do some funky stuff to get the cam mod running, but for the life of me I can't get PB Arcade DX11 running properly in portrait.

cyborgcnc

Jan 19, 2017
Normal 1920x1080 (16:9).

I know you have to do some funky stuff to get the cam mod running, but for the life of me I can't get PB Arcade DX11 running properly in portrait.

I have the exact same problem!! Running windows 7,nvidia card with latest drivers.

I have read every post and looked at every thread, but no matter what, TPA refuses to run in portrait mode with dx11... no problem with dx9...but no go with dx11...this is with.12 as well as .15 versions...

Can someone who has this working help???

Last edited:

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
I'm in the same boat with my recently purchased cabinet which is a "Vertigo" from VPcabs.

The Vertigo comes with all Zen Pinball FX2 games and does a fantastic job of making those tables come to life. It includes dedicated flipper and nudge buttons; and a separate small monitor at the top for "DMD" support. Of course, you're not going to be able to play a quality iteration of "Attack From Mars" via Zen. (The Vertigo does support "Attack from Mars" via Visual Pinball, but I don't feel the graphics and physics are up to par with Pinball Arcade.)

Anyway, I thought I would just launch Steam from the Windows 7 desktop, and see how far I could get running Pinball Arcade just on the main monitor. Long story short, I'm still trying to get it to run in portrait mode. (After that I'll need to map the flippers to the dedicated buttons; get the nudge working; and so on.). Pinball Arcade runs in portrait mode just fine on my iPad Pro, so I thought for sure the PC version would have a setting to provide that functionality.

Anyway, if anybody knows how to do this, I sure would appreciate some help!

Brandon Garvin

FarSight Employee
Oct 10, 2016
I'm in the same boat with my recently purchased cabinet which is a "Vertigo" from VPcabs.

The Vertigo comes with all Zen Pinball FX2 games and does a fantastic job of making those tables come to life. It includes dedicated flipper and nudge buttons; and a separate small monitor at the top for "DMD" support. Of course, you're not going to be able to play a quality iteration of "Attack From Mars" via Zen. (The Vertigo does support "Attack from Mars" via Visual Pinball, but I don't feel the graphics and physics are up to par with Pinball Arcade.)

Anyway, I thought I would just launch Steam from the Windows 7 desktop, and see how far I could get running Pinball Arcade just on the main monitor. Long story short, I'm still trying to get it to run in portrait mode. (After that I'll need to map the flippers to the dedicated buttons; get the nudge working; and so on.). Pinball Arcade runs in portrait mode just fine on my iPad Pro, so I thought for sure the PC version would have a setting to provide that functionality.

Anyway, if anybody knows how to do this, I sure would appreciate some help!

Have you set Windows to use portrait mode with your display? If not then that could by why it's not working as you expect.

If you have set Windows to portrait mode, what resolution are you trying to run the game with? If you don't set the backbuffer resolution to a portrait resolution instead of a landscape resolution then it won't launch in portrait mode. If you have a 1080p screen you would set the width to 1080 and the height to 1920, for example.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Playing in portrait works fine for me with both TPA and Stern. Only issue I have is the camera angle always seems to be scewed. See screen shot below. I see more of the left side than right - everything looks to be sloping to the right. This is the same on all tables and both STERN and TPA.

Is there a reason for this or am I doing something wrong?

YorCuWQ.jpg

*EDIT* posting this back in landscape the issue doesn't look half as bad. If I view this on a portrait rotated monitor then I see the issue. Is this something to do with aspect ratios?

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I think the flipper posts are centered with regards to the bottom and sides of the screen, and where the rest of the table falls just depends on the table. Most, if not all, include the plunger and ball lane on the right, and with the flippers centered in portrait mode, it shifts the table over to the right just a bit.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
yeah I tried it again - looks the same as Landscape! I hadn't been drinking honest. Must be an optical illusion due to off center layout.

TheTrain

Jan 9, 2017
UPDATE:

For whatever reason downloading Stern Pinball Arcade has fixed this issue for me. Not sure if it had to do with the small update that came out for Pinball Arcade recently or not.

Has anyone else had success?

Now, however, I am seeing that my GXT 710 is painfully to slow to run DX11 tables.

Time for a GTX 1050!

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
Finally got DX11 mode working on my cab ... and it's *sweet* !!!

Now if we just had some *official* cabinet support ... (fixing to explore the camera mods posted here ... )

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.