Monster Bash - Frankenstein multiball bug?

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
I don't know if this is just me, my tablet or a bug that others have found on Android; but, ever since the last table updates, whenever Frankenstein multiball starts, the table crashes to a black screen with only the score window showing. I'd be grateful if others could check that there is a bug here or just something unfortunately unique to me, thanks.

Edit: This bug only happens on my Asus Transformer Prime, but not on my Galaxy Note 3, so now I'm thinking it may be a hardware rather than a software fault - any suggestions please (other than deleting and re-downloading the table, as I don't want to lose my hi scores and goals)?

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I don't know if this is just me, my tablet or a bug that others have found on Android; but, ever since the last table updates, whenever Frankenstein multiball starts, the table crashes to a black screen with only the score window showing. I'd be grateful if others could check that there is a bug here or just something unfortunately unique to me, thanks.

Edit: This bug only happens on my Asus Transformer Prime, but not on my Galaxy Note 3, so now I'm thinking it may be a hardware rather than a software fault - any suggestions please (other than deleting and re-downloading the table, as I don't want to lose my hi scores and goals)?

Frankenstien Multiball works fine on an N7-2012 with latest Google Play store build.

Only suggestion really is to delete the Monster Bash table rez file and re download. Doing this will not wipe your score for MB or any other table though. These are all held in another file called 'Saved_data'.
Only way to wipe scores/goals is manual deletion of saved_data, or clearing the apps cache.

To do clear an individual rez file and re download -
Fire up TPA.
After splash screen, go 'options' & 'manage tables' - scroll and pick 'monster bash' and delete the file.
Back out, and go to 'my tables'
Pick MB, and re download the table rez.

If this doesn't work - only other solution is uninstall TPA and reinstall. This will wipe your scores though.
Other than that it's hardware which isn't realistically going to get resolved, unless you root and try a custom rom.

Hopefully a table rez delete does the job eh!
Good luck.

Edit - this post here gives you instructions for backup of saved_data file. http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=138203

Last edited:

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
Thanks for that very informative reply, Baron. I knew about the managing tables part but didn't know that the saved data was in a separate file, much appreciated.

Edit: Unfortunately, I cleared the Monster Bash rez file, re-downloaded it, tried playing again, same thing happened, crashed on the Frankenstein multiball. I tried reducing texture quality and all other available option, including hard reboot of my Asus tablet, but all to no avail. This is now really baffling me, because before the latest official update from Google Play and re-downloading the updated Moster Bash table at that time, last week on the day WhoDunnit was released, Monster Bash ran just fine. I'm suspecting a RAM issue, because I seem to explored every other option available to me :( MAYbe me having over 300 apps/games installed on that tablet is causing an issue - what do you reckon?

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry man - I'm have no good ideas on this.
It's odd that only MB is giving issues, and Franky multiball in particular. Do other MB multiballs give you issues? Do other tables with multiball give you issues?

I don't think MB is one of the more device intensive tables, this i'd believe are the older alpha numerics like FH or BOP, and I've heard RBION was the one table that just pushed the N10 to far when first out.

Couple of things you could try....

Firstly - back up 'Saved_data' just in case before fiddling.

1 - you could install an older version of the last beta, over the top of your play store install - this would effectively move you back one version, allowing you to see if this was a recent breakage.
You'd have to delete mb rez and re download with beta installed.
Once finished with beta - just go to play store and TPA will want to update back to latest play store version (delete and re download rez again). No saved_data loss with this technique.
Last beta here...
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php?p=137790

2 - uninstall - reinstall of TPA. This will lose your saved_data unless moved or backed up. You can move your tables rez files to make it less painful. If rooted you can move the saved_data file or if not use the helium method from the other post above.
Data locations for TPA =

TABLE DATA = /MNT/SDCARD/ANDROID/DATA/COM.FARSIGHT.ANDROIDPINBALL.JAVAPROJECT/FILES/...

SAVE DATA = /DATA/DATA/COM.FARSIGHT.ANDROIDPINBALL.JAVAPROJECT/FILES/saved_data

Like you said - you could try cleaning the device a little - but if it runs initially I'd doubt this is the issue - but who knows.
Good luck mate.

Last edited:

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
Cheers for the instructions and advice mate, I'm going to try a few other tables, such as RBION before trying what you suggested. The device is rooted, so backing up and moving any or all the files won't be an issue. I'll get back to you later on with my testing results (this *could* take a while, cuz I'm no Tommy), thanks again for your valuable help.

Edit: Yeah, I use Root Explorer too

Last edited:

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
It's gonna take me a few days for testing all the tables. I tried moving all the rez files to one of my external MMC's with Directory Bind but it still makes no difference with Monster Bash. It still crashes on the Frankenstein Multiball and also Mosh Pit multiball, so I've discovered. So far, no other tables have had any problems, such as Fish Tales multiball, for instance. I'm still toying with your idea of overwriting the latest official Google Play of TPA with the last beta, but what bothers me about that is, even if it did fix the problem with Monster Bash, wouldn't the last beta cause problems with Whodunnit, if that's only a beta version, compared with the latest official build from Google Play?
Btw, I have succesully backed up saved_data to a few places, clouds included, so no chance I'll lose that.

One last querie for now....seeing as I recently had to redownload about 75% of 'improved' tables for the official latest version of TPA, wouldn't overwriting the official Google Play version with the beta make all those latest tables incompatible or would the latest beta run those rez files as they are, without having to go back to all the previous rez files of all those tables?

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It's gonna take me a few days for testing all the tables. I tried moving all the rez files to one of my external MMC's with Directory Bind but it still makes no difference with Monster Bash. It still crashes on the Frankenstein Multiball and also Mosh Pit multiball, so I've discovered. So fare, no other tables have had any problems, such as Fish Tales multiball, for instance. I'm still toying with your idea of overwriting the latest official Google Play of TPA with the last beta, but what bothers me about that is, even if it did fix the problem with Monster Bash, wouldn't the last beta cause problems with Whodunnit, if that's only a beta version, compared with the latest official build from Google Play?
Btw, I have succesully backed up saved_data to a few places, clouds included, so no chance I'll lose that.

One last querie for now....seeing as I recently had to redownload about 75% of 'improved' tables for the official latest version of TPA, wouldn't overwriting the official Google Play version with the beta make all those latest tables incompatible or would the latest beta run those rez files as they are, without having to go back to all the previous rez files of all those tables?

Hey Zed!
Moving the rez files only helps whilst doing a full clear cache/clear data/force stop/uninstall/reinstall of TPA. It saves you having to manualy re-download the rez files again basically. It won't fix your issue.

Good that you've grabbed saved_data. Saved myself countless times having this backed up.

Wierd that only MB multiballs so far - I would have blamed the rez for sure. Your next best bet is full uninstall / reinstall of TPA for me.

The 'install last beta' suggestion was really, just to help you pin point when and what broke. Initial thought was with the beta on your device, you could delete the mb rez, run the table and it would get the correct version for the install. But I'm not sure now I mention it, that it works this way.
I'll test that and come back here.
It's not a permanent solution, just a test to establish it worked prior to Who dunnit. If you stuck with the beta, you wouldn't get any new tables going forwards.

I'd definitely try a reinstall of TPA next though.

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
Yup, that was one of the first things I tried, even disabled mip mapping but it still didn't fix it. I think, at the moment, rather than going backwards, installing the previous beta, then uninstalling TPA and most probably find I'm still in the same position with Monster Bash, I'll wait 3 more weeks until the next official Google Play update and see if I have any joy with that before trying anything else. It seems like a lot of work and time to spend on just fixing one broken table otherwise....a table that I have working on PC and my Galaxy Note 3 anyway. Uninstalling TPA from my Asus Prime is the last resort I'm going to take.....call me cynical, but I just have an odd feeling that uninstalling and reinstalling TPA isn't going to fix the problem yet.

Edit: Well, F me, I fixed it! All I did was turn off the multi-ball camera on MB and it hasn't caused a problem since doing that.

Anyway, thanks guys, especially you, Baron, for all the help and suggestions, always appreciated.....cheers again :)

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Further to the 'install previous beta' suggestion - it seems time travel isn't possible unless you have a backup copy via Titanium.

I decided to go right back as far as I could. Scrolling backwards through Android thread posts, I saw things I haven't seen in several years (including Jaredmorgs first post) to find the earliest beta posting I could.
Initially Android beta's were email invite only through a third party company, but I found the earliest open posted beta link, plugged in the usb/otg adapter, connected the flux capacitor, made sure it had 1.21 gigawatts available, hit download, and found the link is no longer valid.
Kept trying through the months until I hit one with a valid link still, and eventually hit pack 20.
Tried an install and got...
zahenaza.jpg

I think you would have to uninstall TPA prior to install of any older version beta.
Not that this is going to fix the OP's problem, it was just an experiment.

My old Titanium backup copies still restore though, but are obviously only of use to myself. Very nostalgic travelling through the old packs (the original menu seems weird now - plus I found the one where you could only scroll in landscape).

Uninstall - reinstall is very easy and quick to perform if rooted.
As long as saved_data is backed up you have nothing to lose.

Man, I have been around here way too long.

zedster

Aug 17, 2012
errrmm, but I seem to have already fixed it, dude

I never liked all that scrolling in landscape, but I still play landscape on my Asus and my PC rig for that matter.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.