NBA Regular Season

invitro

May 4, 2012
the season should be much more fun to watch in Philly and LA.
It might be a little interesting to see if the Lakers and Sixers are last again. The Lakers were six behind Phoenix and subtracting Kobe should improve them by more than six games, so I don't think they'll be last. But the Sixers were eleven behind the Brooklynettes... I don't think they can pull out of the cellar unless the Nettes do some serious ubertanking. Maybe they'll try to snag Stauskas and start him, that might do it.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It might be a little interesting to see if the Lakers and Sixers are last again. The Lakers were six behind Phoenix and subtracting Kobe should improve them by more than six games, so I don't think they'll be last. But the Sixers were eleven behind the Brooklynettes... I don't think they can pull out of the cellar unless the Nettes do some serious ubertanking. Maybe they'll try to snag Stauskas and start him, that might do it.

Totally agree on Stauskas. Just brutal watching him play this year.
Add the player the Sixers will pick at #1 to the team. Plus Joel E is practicing now. If his foot holds up and Saric comes over to play, then I don't think they will have the worst record next year. Not a playoff team, but not dead last IMO. Plus they might add a free agent or two. They have a ton of money under the cap. In fact they will have to spend some just to get above the salary floor minimum.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Possible Free Agents for Sixers IMO.
Rondo / Jennings / Ty Lawson / Chalmers
Afflalo / Eric Gordon
Bazemore / Evan Turner (comeback ?)
Ryan Anderson ?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Local ESPN was talking about how despite Ingram probably being better fit for 76'ers, they probably will cave to pressure to take Simmons. We in Lakerland seem to be happy either way. Also mentioned how Simmons' agent might try to pull one of those 'if Philly is going to draft him, he'll just go play in __________ and wait a year to join the NBA' like Kobe did since he really really really want to play for the Lakers. Of course Kobe was bluffing, but it worked.

The radio guys were downright giddy as now they finally have good news to talk about whether it be who to pick in the draft, should the draft pick be traded, and what any of this might mean for FA. What cracks me up is we have two major sports stations here in LA, and neither talks Clippers because metrics show people change the station as soon as talk moves to them!

invitro

May 4, 2012
So I'm watching the pregame show for GSW-OKC, game 4, and Russell W walks in the arena wearing overalls and a goofy hat. One of the TNT hosts says he looks like he just got back from fishing.

Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of a game of Fish Tales.

Synchronicity prediction: OKC moves up to a commanding 3-1 series lead.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Synchronicity wins as always...

Russell: 36 pts / 11 reb / 11 ast triple-double, in massive 24-point OKC win over GSW to up series lead to 3-1.
Me: 9729M on FT (#11), in massive gain over previous high of 4125M (#29).
Russell's fishing hat: "You're not gonna eat that, are you?"

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Great score on FT there Invitro! I see you in my rearview mirror from spot #10.... :)
But about those Western Conference Finals: I'm very disappointed in the Warriors. I've been always interested in the NBA and have been following it from the early '90's on. It just cooled off for me after Jordan stopped playing. Picked up again somewhat with the Lakers, but haven't been closely watching the Miami Heat and Spurs championships. I've been mesmerized this season though, by the play of Stephen Curry, and the Warriors as a team. Love it that they play for one of my favorite old Bull's players! So the first time in maybe 10+ years I've actually watched whole games again and found myself whooping it up on my couch. 73-9, wouldn't have thought to ever see that Bull's record be broken. Anyway, as the saying goes "72-10 don't mean a thing without a ring" and now here are the GSW stinking the place up! Where is that crisp passing team that can produce offense out of thin air? Where is the stifling defense? Where is the dominance of small ball? How come a team like the Thunder suddenly have the Warriors' number? Sure it's the playoffs and teams can go on a run, and sure, the Thunder seem to be clicking all of a sudden. I'm just not seeing those Warriors of the 2015-2016 season. I'm not ready writing the Warriors off yet, but they have a 250-9 odds to beat to overcome 3-1 and that will be very unlikely. I just hope they can go out fighting and at least show some of this season's magic again. Maybe there is some credence to them being lucky last year with all the injuries in the other teams. If they can't beat the Thunder, they would have had a very tough time dealing with a healthy Cavs team that is also peaking at the right time. I can't bear the thought of watching a Thunder-Cavs Finals series though....

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
What is Golden State's over/under on wins this season?
It's getting harder to watch the NBA with player collusion creating dream team lineups.
What if Jordan, Magic, and Bird all decided to play together? We would have all missed out on a great era of basketball.
I just don't know where this is all leading.

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

It's a two-year contract with a player option for year two, so it's effectively a one-year deal.

I'll predict a 77-5 season for the Warriors. Let's have a contest about that when October rolls around :).

I don't think it's an awful thing, I'm very eager to see what happens.

Here's Kevin's official statement:
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-durant-nba-free-agency-announcement/

More details:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

P.S. At least the Lakers got Timofey Mozgov.

070316_JJ_Kevin_Durant_Hamptons_802-copyBW-copy1-1440x688.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
P.S. At least the Lakers got Timofey Mozgov.

And in 2017 we'll now get Westbrook! Hahahahahaha (I laugh because it feels better than crying)

I do have to laugh though at internet reaction. I honestly would have been more surprised if Durant had of stayed. I don't think this compares to Le Bron going to Miami, mainly because he took his meetings and made a quick choice. No press conference, no ESPN special, just business deal. People are also freaking out over this being the ruin of the NBA, that the CBA was supposed to protect small markets, blah blah blah. Golden State was a joke of major proportions for how many years? They built up, won, and now can attract big name talent. Spike in salary cap gave everyone money to burn. My Lakers had the most money, couldn't even get a meeting, and you don't get more major market than us. So I say way to go GS, welcome to the economics of luxury taxes.

Also thought the way the OKC owners handled the announcement was pure class, unlike that douche in Cleveland, Dan Gilbert.

Now I'm just looking forward to summer league to see how Lakers young core gels with Walton. Looks like we're kicking Nick Young to the curb too, so that should leave our locker room without some drama. Be interesting to see what happens in the West now, with OKC being shaken up, Duncan probably retiring, Clippers always finding a way to fail...who's gonna rise up?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey, remember this thread?!

2 years later and I have something to say...

Listen to any sports radio hosts in the Los Angeles market and you'll hear their utter amazement at the fact a lot of Lakers fans don't want Lebron to come here. I counted myself as one of those, that despite whatever uniform he wears, he'll always be a Cavalier and never truly bleed purple and gold.

For 5 years the Lakers have suffered, and it's only in this last year that things started to look up. Right coach, right draft picks, good chemistry...all things that make success feel earned rather than purchased. In the last few weeks, I've realized something though; the Lakers need a win in the free agency contest. We've been getting hammered in the off season, not being able to land these top free agents. Suddenly I'm very much rooting for us to land Lebron and Paul George, because that means success in the front office, that the team is desirable again. On top of that, the young core would remain in tact.

Or would it? Now comes talk of Kawhi Leonard wanting to be traded from the Spurs to the Lakers. On the one hand, hurray super team (if Lebron and PG come too). On the other, say goodbye to the young core as they'll be traded away to get him. And now I'm back to purchasing a championship rather than earning it. Sure I'd be happy for us to win one again, but it'd be nowhere as sweet. On top of that, we'd probably be able to get him the following season in free agency, especially if Lebron and George are already here, and we wouldn't have to give anything away in the process. Again, the win would be for our team to be desirable as a destination.

I don't know that I'll ever be a Lebron fan. I don't deny the talent, I just think he wins for himself, whereas Kobe won for the Lakers. I don't need a championship next season, I need a team that looks like they know what the hell they are doing both on the court and in the front office. Landing those two free agents will solidify things for me. Land neither, and I'm worried for Magic and Rob, that it's all talk and no proof.

And maybe, just maybe, I'll think about liking Lebron. Maybe.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.