New builds?

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Why don't they just release an early access version on Steam? This game won't be a finished product before the ps4 version get released and ported on PC, anyways. It's not just about fixing bugs and glitches here and there, it's also about polishing art and visuals. It's a blatant lie to pretend it won't take a few months to complete the job. So, in the meantime, better let players enjoy it in its current state and make some money right away.

Simply answer...because everyone that bought it would have to follow the template us beta testers are following. It takes some getting used to at first and following how the Dev's expect to hear about reports. It' very, very organized, and well run. Just opening the doors to people could mess up much of that organization. It took a bit of time to get everyone to report bugs and issues in the proper manner they wished to have them reported to them. It might also have something to do with the PC beta testers not missing much if anything at all. The Dev's are working furiously to keep up with all the reported bugs and issues and they at this moment are keeping up with what we all report. Right now it is super organized and everyone is on page.

I partly agree with other people speeding up the reporting of issues, but only partly. I have to think about the very methodical system in place right now. Too many cooks spoil the broth was a phrase my mother always said when too many family members hit the kitchen looking to speed up the meal being prepared. She was right...it always was inferior when the entire family jumped in and tried to do what she was doing. We learned to leave her alone after a few lack luster meals we helped out with.

It also should be mentioned that us beta testing all the tables paid very good money to be in the position we are in now. FS just can't open the doors to everyone after having us beta testers throw down $400 USD to be in our present position. It would cheapen the special offer we pledged to get into.

Hang in there guys. It won't be too long now.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Since we are a small staff, we do get shuffled around a bit. Time spent on this current table pack doesn't take away time spent on the PC version. First, it means that Teed Off and Haunted House will be ready for PC when it ships, so that's another table pack everyone gets right away. Also Haunted House is Gottlieb System 80, the same chipset as Black Hole. Not promising anything but that could turn out to be an improvement many people have wanted.

Time spent on the PS4 (for me a few hours here and there), will translate to the PC version when we upgrade to DX11.

dach

May 29, 2013
My statement charging neglect of the PC version wasn't meant as an attack on any programmer. It merely was a statement pointing to pushing PC aside to develop other projects or tables. From the initial release of the PC beta to the TZ supporters were any efforts made to polish the PC version? Inputs? Visuals? ect.

I'm as anxious as any for the PC version but seriously I meant no offense to Mike or others. It's obvious they are a small developer stretched thin.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
Ports to PC are trickier than you might think. You have to account for different operating systems, different hardware, different configs and settings, etc. etc. Ports between and general development on a console is much easier due to the hardware always being static and the number of settings is limited and known. Even a Mac version is easier because Macs are comparatively static to a PC.

Take the case of the issue I reported where the game is basically unplayable to me because it uses the crappiest tiniest settings possible and won't let me change them. Was I lazy in reporting it ages ago? Yeah. I kinda hoped it would be fixed and was a known issue to FS (yeah, totally my bad for making that assumption). Multiple people responded with the same or a similar issue, but for some of them a workaround fixed it and for others (like me) it did not. This may mean the same problem or several problems with the same unfortunate result. I dunno. I have not looked at the code. Statistically there will be some significant subset of people (significant does not indicate size, just that it is a legitimate statistic and not an outlier) with this problem that could potentially cause FS money in lost sales either directly by those affected or by those reading about the problem who choose not to buy. So it is in their interest to fix it (I hope, sometimes it is determined the loss is less than the cost to fix the issue). Screwy stuff like this is normal for PC development, even a "port".

As far as a slowdown when it comes crunch time for a new table pack, hey, FS needs to pay the bills. If they get their thing out late that causes a lot of financial woes for them really quickly. They are a small shop and they need their peeps working on things in order of a reasonable priority.

Plus, come on, you all know you want that upcoming table pack. I am pretty stoked about this one. I loves me some Haunted House. I've played hours and hours of it and flipped it several times irl on some very steep play settings, so I look forward to having a handy pocket version with me wherever I may go.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
There will be more builds, the product is not in a releasable state atm.

See, that I'd disagree with. Right now the PC game has never been as complete and stable as it is in this current revision: the menus are working well, controller/keyboard access is working as expected, all tables play well and there's only a few gameplay and graphical bugs here and there that are hindering the 'complete' experience.

I'd say that if Farsight released the game tomorrow we'd see no more complaints than any other system, but Farsight are trying to eliminate as many preventable bugs before release as they can. Meanwhile it's actually a pretty low priority because the current beta revision is running very well, if the game was crashing every five minutes or there was a huge input problem (like the patch a few revisions ago) then there'd obviously be a problem, but there isn't.

Long story short, the game IS in a releasable state. Not in it's best state, but if it was a pinball machine, it'd be closer to Cactus Canyon than Wheel of Fortune.

Ripley

Aug 28, 2013
See, that I'd disagree with. Right now the PC game has never been as complete and stable as it is in this current revision: the menus are working well, controller/keyboard access is working as expected, all tables play well and there's only a few gameplay and graphical bugs here and there that are hindering the 'complete' experience.

I'd say that if Farsight released the game tomorrow we'd see no more complaints than any other system, but Farsight are trying to eliminate as many preventable bugs before release as they can. Meanwhile it's actually a pretty low priority because the current beta revision is running very well, if the game was crashing every five minutes or there was a huge input problem (like the patch a few revisions ago) then there'd obviously be a problem, but there isn't.

Long story short, the game IS in a releasable state. Not in it's best state, but if it was a pinball machine, it'd be closer to Cactus Canyon than Wheel of Fortune.

Very interesting statement, thank you, Rudy.

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013

I have to disagree. There's still a number of issues that need resolving (most notably the menu running too fast in fullscreen mode).

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
See, that I'd disagree with. Right now the PC game has never been as complete and stable as it is in this current revision: the menus are working well, controller/keyboard access is working as expected, all tables play well and there's only a few gameplay and graphical bugs here and there that are hindering the 'complete'

I disagree that "the menus are working well, controller/keyboard access is working as expected, ".

You can't even go through the tables with the flippers, fail.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013

If you had not played this game on any other platform before and just had a mouse and keyboard connected, would you honestly say that the controls are working as expected? I don't think so at least. The interface is clunky to navigate and also logging in to your Farsight account is not localized (on a Swedish keyboard for example you press AltGr + 2 to get the "@" character). You can't press TAB to move from the email input to the password input and so on.

You have no Graphics options to change and without setting application specific settings in nVidia or AMD Control panel the game looks like a the jagged edge of a saw when you enable Post Processing.

Sure, they could release it now but I think it would be taking unnecessary flack.

Roope

Sep 13, 2013
If you had not played this game on any other platform before and just had a mouse and keyboard connected, would you honestly say that the controls are working as expected? I don't think so at least. The interface is clunky to navigate and also logging in to your Farsight account is not localized (on a Swedish keyboard for example you press AltGr + 2 to get the "@" character). You can't press TAB to move from the email input to the password input and so on.

You have no Graphics options to change and without setting application specific settings in nVidia or AMD Control panel the game looks like a the jagged edge of a saw when you enable Post Processing.

Sure, they could release it now but I think it would be taking unnecessary flack.

This reply got me a bit worried.

Haven't seen the menus or played the game on any other platform since I'm a PC gamer. Menus and settings on PC games are really important. Menus are the very first thing that people will notice, it's like first impression at job interview, they should be rock solid and build PC in mind. If I would be responsible for the PC release I would make it so that the menus are something that PC gamers wont hate from the start. Also settings should be in game or at least at launcher since vast majority of people will not go to tweak driver settings. Also for PC there should be enough stuff to tweak not just resolution.

Nothing is as frustrating as studios releasing subpar versions for PC which clearly shows that they didn't know how to make a proper PC port. This will hurt the sales I'm dead sure of that. Also some posts about bad texture quality is worrying me. There should be no reason to have crappy textures on PC unless devs were fools and only have low res textures available (which is unlikely since textures are normally down scaled from hi res images).

So as much as I would like to get this game as soon as possible, please make it a proper PC port even if it take a little longer.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.