New JJP: Dialed In by Pat Lawlor

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Remove the cell phone and rename the machine Quantum City. Or retheme it as a Futurama machine.

I like the layout but the theme definitely isn't for me, although some of the things the phone does throughout the game are pretty cool.

OMG, re-theme it Futurama, replace the generic bits with a futurama ship, animated talking bender head, professor doomsday device ect... Futurama Quotes all over the place. Genius.

I agree, it looks like Junkyard Wars II. The junkening. :eek:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
After reading some more info on pinside and watching the vid, it actaully looks kind of cool. Very quirky though. ;)

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Played it at Expo about a dozen times. Came home, ordered the Limited Edition. Can't wait until it arrives!!!! Very fun and cool table. Still waiting for Hobbit to arrive too, that will be my first table. Looks like the first 2 will be NIB tables.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Here's what bugs me about everybody wishing it was themed to an existing license; nothing is new anymore. It's all just rehash, reboot, sequel to, re-imagining of, and people no longer seem to want to let something grow on them. Embrace new storytelling, take the time to let it become your new favorite thing. Most of all, reserve judgement until you've actually either played or watched extended playing of the machine before throwing out the theme within 30 seconds.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
There's a reason why so many movies have a number in their title or are the 10th iteration of a franchise. It's less risky, because people want this stuff. I don't get it too, but it makes me sick like hell to the point I don't want to watch this stuff any more. One of the worst examples ever was Highlander. The story was finished, but the movie was too successful not to do a sequel. For me it destroyed the good memories of the first movie. #endofrant

Although I might never play this table, I'm quite happy to see JJP doing their own, unlicensed stuff. There are so many tables without a license attached to it out there, but I think we have already forgotten how it is to have an original table.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
There's a way to do original intellectual property while being fully recognizable in theme anyway. Williams did this superbly; Attack from Mars is the king of that, with Medieval Madness, Cactus Canyon, Whitewater ranking up there too. Sequels even work there too: Getaway, Revenge from Mars. Just from the name you know what it's about. Dialed In as a name doesn't do that. There's no room in today's attention hyper-deficient media age to ask and answer "what is that?".

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There's a way to do original intellectual property while being fully recognizable in theme anyway. Williams did this superbly; Attack from Mars is the king of that, with Medieval Madness, Cactus Canyon, Whitewater ranking up there too. Sequels even work there too: Getaway, Revenge from Mars. Just from the name you know what it's about. Dialed In as a name doesn't do that. There's no room in today's attention hyper-deficient media age to ask and answer "what is that?".

Maybe they should have called it hashtag? Emoji battle? I do agree, the name alone doesn't sell it, but the look of the table itself intrigues me. Licenses also work in reverse, where I don't want to be seen playing Flinstones, and I hated Congo the movie so much it's hard for me to give the table a fair shake.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012

I liked "Killer App" better, but that probably got cut because of the fact that JJP wants to appeal to a family-friendly market. Although I concur that the present name is not strong, it's difficult to judge a "brand" name on it's original appeal when it has been there for more than 20 years and became synonymous with excellent gameplay and theme integration. Attack from Mars could easily have been a very cheesy EM for all I know if I'm not that familiar with the machine in question. Medieval Madness has that nice alliteration going like CC and even WhiteWater so those names have something going for them of the bat. But Whitewater is also a really funny sounding name for a pin, especially when you're not familiar with rafting. Cactus Canyon sounds like a bad western....etc. So if Dialed-In will be succesful in terms of gameplay and innovation (and the first impressions OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED THE D@MN TABLE! :) are quite good), objections to the name will probably dissipate quite quickly I think.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well, look at it this way: it's original IP so no licensing besides negotiating with JJP/Lawlor so it may make it into TPA? Technical issues aside... seriously though would you pay $10 for it (going rate for new Sterns in SPA)?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I think all things pinball have seen a steep increase in price point the last couple of years, and that now includes SPA tables as well. Offcourse I'll pay it because I'm crazy enough for pinball anyway :)
I don't think we'll see any JJP's anytime soon in TPA because of the LCD monitor(s), I'm not a technical guy but I have doubts if mobile could handle that kind of video processing? That and licensing for WOZ and the Hobbit probably.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.