New logo needed!

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I'm going to say some things and I only mean them in constructive ways.

1. The name of the site is Digital Pinball Fans. Our URL has the dot com in it. Although I find the pinball as the dot clever, dot com should not be part of the logo at all. Would you put www. with it? Of course not. And there is not a single logo out there that has any part of a URL in it. It's clever, but it doesn't belong.

Uhm...

Check out

http://chrono.gg
http://gog.com

Even on your quoted site you see 2 example logos showing a .com - one of them being cnn.

EXTERN_0002.jpg

But I agree, most sites don't have that and snce the page is from 2009, it's not current any more and both logos on the page are not being used any more.

I think, the bigger problem is the name itself. It's almost impossible to get the clunky words "Digital Pinball Fans" into a logo without having it cluttered already. And the question indeed is, do they have to be? Maybe a flipper with a "DPF" on it is enough. Or a bumper or whatever (using a flipper is a bit lazy, it would be just copying the idea of the TPA logo). I like the "Keep it simple, stupid" from https://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/06/12-essential-rules-to-follow-when-designing-a-logo/ The logo doesn't need to have the name included. Maybe it's an idea to start thinking about what the logo should or should not include, before actually starting to work on it.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I for one am against simply using the initials DPF. Someone just discovering the site will see DPF and be like, "what the hell is that?" I think the logo should include the full name for the reason of clarity.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I for one am against simply using the initials DPF. Someone just discovering the site will see DPF and be like, "what the hell is that?" I think the logo should include the full name for the reason of clarity.

A graphic image that conveys a sense of the site with the full name to the side also could work. Look at the Pepsi ball, the Coca-Cola bottle. There are many approaches that can be taken and all it takes is a sketch to try things out.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Thanks for all the work Jolson. I too like the last version but only one of us has the final say it’s time to here what he has to say.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for all the work Jolson. I too like the last version but only one of us has the final say it’s time to here what he has to say.

You bloody suck up:p but yes now sure that the rabble have debated its time for our ben volent overlord to choose, cheers for taking your free time and effort jrolson nice to see the community isnt dead yet

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Look up DP in the urban dictionary and you’ll know why DPF shouldn’t be used.

Yeah, I started thinking that while doing some sketches of my own!

Speaking of sketches...

I messed around a bit on paper and then downloaded Inkscape since I don't have Adobe Illustrator on my new computer yet. Inkscape is a free to use vector graphics program. I figure if I'm going to open my big mouth I may as well show some alternative concepts. I truly encourage people to sketch their ideas and then post those. Others can then try to bring them closer to concept in a graphics program. I'll continue to mess with ideas I have, but I just wanted to show there's plenty of directions we can go with this.

matrix pinball 2.jpg

pixel pin.jpg

Last edited:

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I prefer the jrolson (with red font) one, it's also a drop-in-place for the current one.

When the entire site gets redesigned, it can be time to come up with a different one that will match the new colour scheme (should there be one).

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
With red font,
ycrroiH.png

I like this one, but if it's going to "echo" the current style, how about remove the ".com", move "FANS" all the way to the right.

While the idea of using pinball-related images is nice, it might look less cluttered if the bumpers and flipper were removed as well.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
I like this one, but if it's going to "echo" the current style, how about remove the ".com", move "FANS" all the way to the right.

While the idea of using pinball-related images is nice, it might look less cluttered if the bumpers and flipper were removed as well.

dXCZGiE.png

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.