Android - Bug [Nexus 7 2013] Flippers become non-responsive in portrait mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
*SOLVED*

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428133 had the fix for me. I applied the "10" touch screen driver to my Nexus 7 2013, and the sensitivity issues were elimated.

Description

During play in portrait, I have noticed one, and sometimes both, flippers become non-responsive and I have to mash the screen to get them to work again.

Reproducible

Tough to say, but I'd estimate about 30%.

Has anyone else got a N7 2013 and has observed this issue. I was following someone on a G+ N7 2013 community who also reported the exact same issue with Pinball Arcade, but isn't a forum member AFAICT.

Additional Info

In most cases, the right flipper is the one affected. Sometimes the left flipper also becomes non-responsive. Sometimes both flippers don't work when tapped.

I've tried moving my fingers up the screen a bit which kind of helps, but the issue is my thumbs block the important areas of the screen such as outlanes.

The issue doesn't seem to present in Landscape mode as much.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Jared. Are you rooted with fullscreen? Or are the system buttons still active? I've noticed on my note2 that if I hit the menu button my flippers are non responsive for a press or two.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
What were you playing when it happened?

Only - 1 week back when beta 18 first released, I had the same issue when playing Tee'd Off. I had about 3 non responsive inputs in 10 mins of play.

This was only in TO, it was the 'a' beta in portrait on the N7, and I haven't played it since HH got it's Cellar visible.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
What were you playing when it happened?

Only - 1 week back when beta 18 first released, I had the same issue when playing Tee'd Off. I had about 3 non responsive inputs in 10 mins of play.

This was only in TO, it was the 'a' beta in portrait on the N7, and I haven't played it since HH got it's Cellar visible.

Yeah, this started happening on the 18b beta for me.

Both Tee'd Off and Haunted House are affected the worse, but I think other tables I played are also affected.

And, yes, that is about the frequency it is happening to me.

I am rooted, but do not use fullscreen (my hands are big enough that I would never get toward the lower part of the screen near the system navigation bars.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Jared. Are you rooted with fullscreen? Or are the system buttons still active? I've noticed on my note2 that if I hit the menu button my flippers are non responsive for a press or two.

I am rooted, but do not play with FullScreen. I didn't tap the home row at the the time. My fat fingers are too high up the screen in portrait.

Now I am on a device that does not have a home screen lock like the TF300T did (really miss that feature, actually), I should probably look at getting this sorted in the short term.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I am rooted, but do not play with FullScreen. I didn't tap the home row at the the time. My fat fingers are too high up the screen in portrait.

Now I am on a device that does not have a home screen lock like the TF300T did (really miss that feature, actually), I should probably look at getting this sorted in the short term.

I don't recommend full!screen as it now has issues with Zen.

I recommend this...

GMD hide soft keys * Root (Root is Required) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.hidesoftkeys
This hides the Navbar for Nexus devices freeing up screen real estate. I've been using full!screen+ to do the same job, but it has stopped working with various apps (Zen mainly) and despite emailing the dev, he says there is nothing he can/will do. So this acts as an even better replacement IMO.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Re the OP-

If you re-install the last pack 17 beta (t2 fixes), does it remove the problem?

I only noticed it in Tee'd off, but haven't managed a lot of play time this week.
I'll give some more tables a test today (it's my afternoon off - yay!) with 18c on the N7 using touch input and report back here.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Played TO for a half hour, with force 4xMSAA = on and Mipmapping=off (worst case I could think of) and it didn't miss a single input via touch.
Played random other tables for another half hour inc HH, but again no missed inputs.

I've been deleting and re-downloading the rez files for the pack 18 tables before any play sesh, just to be on the safe side.

Seems my initial beta 'a' problem is no longer present with 'c'.

Last edited:

mercatfat

Sep 28, 2013
Although I unfortunately have nothing new of any real value to contribute, I'm definitely having the same issue on my Nexus 4. It happened on occasion previous to the 18th update, but I got my device just a couple weeks ago so I can't really trace it back any further than that. That's not at all to say that I'm new to PA, but the device I'd used for 2 years previous was too weak to handle anything but ancient tables with any degree of consistent playability. Oh, and I couldn't ever have sound on, either. To say this device has resulted in a performance increase would be a massive understatement. And frankly, an occasionally dead left flipper was nothing compared to the short freeze+frameskips which I was used to as being the primary reason I'd have balls drain unnecessarily.

It was playing Haunted House on it a moment ago that finally behooved me to say something, though, as it was virtually unplayable at times due to left flipper issues. I noticed it seemed to be more frequent if my tap was closer to the center, but it wasn't consistent. In the end, it seemed like ~15-30% failure rate on that table no matter where I'd pressed it.

Previous update, it seemed to have a ~2-3% failure rate on some of the more complex tables I'd played- a number so low that I kind of had to assume it was my own mistake. Now I'm starting to not be quite so sure, given the more recent uptick in complete misses. But if knocking the graphics down a bit is the solution for now, I'll certainly take it.

QuiGonJ

Jan 27, 2013
I've noticed it a few times on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as well. I thought it was just me somehow, but it's definitely a problem.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've noticed it a few times on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as well. I thought it was just me somehow, but it's definitely a problem.

OK, that's interesting.

So it isn't limited to the Nexus 7 FHD (I thought it could be an issue with my digitizer not getting the correct voltage - commonly reported issue at the moment).

@Ryan Routon, we might have a larger issue here.

N

netizen

The problem on the Galaxy Tab 2 7inch is related to memory. When the flippers go unresponsive try going to the ram manager and seeing how your resources are, I know on mine it's not a pretty picture.

The 2013 N7 has 2x the resurces, I do not think this is a related issue.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The problem on the Galaxy Tab 2 7inch is related to memory. When the flippers go unresponsive try going to the ram manager and seeing how your resources are, I know on mine it's not a pretty picture.

The 2013 N7 has 2x the resurces, I do not think this is a related issue.

I strongly suspect it was my touch screen driver. I flashed a different version with different voltages for the touchscreen and I've noticed a dramatic improvement.

technokid

Aug 8, 2013
I strongly suspect it was my touch screen driver. I flashed a different version with different voltages for the touchscreen and I've noticed a dramatic improvement.

Just bough my nexus 7 2013 yesterday, and i have the same problem. on my galaxy S3 mini i have no such problem... are you sure this isnt a problem with the tablet?

technokid

Aug 8, 2013
Description

During play in portrait, I have noticed one, and sometimes both, flippers become non-responsive and I have to mash the screen to get them to work again.

Reproducible

Tough to say, but I'd estimate about 30%.

Has anyone else got a N7 2013 and has observed this issue. I was following someone on a G+ N7 2013 community who also reported the exact same issue with Pinball Arcade, but isn't a forum member AFAICT.

Additional Info

In most cases, the right flipper is the one affected. Sometimes the left flipper also becomes non-responsive. Sometimes both flippers don't work when tapped.

I've tried moving my fingers up the screen a bit which kind of helps, but the issue is my thumbs block the important areas of the screen such as outlanes.

The issue doesn't seem to present in Landscape mode as much.

Just bough my nexus 7 2013 yesterday, and i have the same problem regarding no response from screen on right side . on my galaxy S3 mini i have no such problem... are you sure this isnt a problem with the tablet?

QuiGonJ

Jan 27, 2013
netizen, it's kind of random when it happens, but I do have the Advanced Task Manager and I try to kill all the Google crap once a day at least. And by crap, I mean, what is Google Hangouts anyway? Being that I'm a man in my 40s, I always feel like if I try that one, I'd end up on a watch list somewhere...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
netizen, it's kind of random when it happens, but I do have the Advanced Task Manager and I try to kill all the Google crap once a day at least. And by crap, I mean, what is Google Hangouts anyway? Being that I'm a man in my 40s, I always feel like if I try that one, I'd end up on a watch list somewhere...

Hangouts is video chat. I use it all the time to text chat to my family, and I'm using it to keep in visual contact with my wife who is in NZ.

If you really don't want to use hangouts, you should be able to permanently disable it in your apps menu. No need to manage unwanted apps each day then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts