Nexus 7 2013 (Gen 2) Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I was lucky enough to get a Gen 2 Nexus 7 a few days ago.

tl:dr

This thing is an absolute beast. The current set of tables have absolutely Zero issues performance wise using this device. Which is not surprising considering this device is about twice as powerful as my Tegra 3 TF300T.

Let me know if you want any specific things tested regarding TPA or see any screens for particular tables. I'll do my best to get them.

User Experience with TPA

Gameplay wise, I think my thumbs are too big for portrait mode. I find my thumbs drift into the tilt touch zone between the flippers. However the fact the tablet has speakers on the left and the right of the back of the tablet suggests it is designed to be used in Landscape mode. Definitely more comfortable to play in landscape when holding with hands. Portrait will be the mode I configure hardware controller mapping for though. The tables seem to be designed to play in landscape.

As for me downgrading from a 10.1" tablet to a 7" tablet, I thought it was going to take some adjustment. But I have been surprised. Because the screen resolution is double the resolution of the TF300T, I am essentially about the same from a viewing perspective. But with less weight, less bulk in my bag each day, and some serious grunt.

Technical

From a technical standpoint, this tablet does not have Tegra, but a Snapdragon processor. This means that MSAA 4x graphics mode works flawlessly accompanied with the power of this device. Not a chug to be seen or heard. Crisp text. Smooth textures.

Battery life is quite decent. I was using it to play music and try out some games yesterday and I was down to about 50% from usage between 7am and 2pm. My TF300T got about that much life as well, and it was a much bigger screen with a much bigger battery.

Sound

Twin speakers work quite well. Crank them up and decent sound comes out of them. Don't expect much bass.

One thing I did notice is there is a terrible hiss coming from the speakers when in-game on TPA. It happens at the end of a single played sound. For example the Boininininining noise on FL2K in attract mode has a really audible hiss associated with it at the end. This doesn't occur on other games I play. Whether this is the device or the game sound server, I can't be sure.

General Gameplay

As an aside, with the Nexus 7 I am able to play DoubleFine's Dropchord using a graphics mode called "The Future" - hoooollllyyyyy moly it is eye scorchingly beautiful, *and* performant. The TF300T ran like a Pentium 1 when I activated The Future graphics on this game.

As far as Zen Pinball goes, well, if TPA looks great on this device, then Zen looks astounding. Bring on Pro Pinball Timeshock!

I need to find myself a SlimPort HDMI adapter kit so I can connect the tablet up to my 22" landscape screen and see how it all performs in this configuration. It is possible that I might actually be able to get back stereoscopic 3D mode in Zen Pinball HD (unless they crippled it when I reported it a while back).

Shiny Screenshots

Some screens for you (be assured in-game the graphics are super sharp and ball movement is like you're standing in front of the table. No fast-movement ball ghosting or tearing):

2013-09-12%2003.41.07.png

Portrait orientation. Detail so fine on the Pin*Bot talbe you wouldn't believe it from this picture.

2013-09-12%2003.48.39.png

Landscape Home Screen

2013-09-12%2003.49.51.png

Landscape ST:TNG

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Great review Jared - your making me want an upgrade.
I've not got to see one of these yet.
Are you going to root it?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Great review Jared - your making me want an upgrade.
I've not got to see one of these yet.
Are you going to root it?

I'm strongly considering it. There is a one click root method for Windows that makes it simple to unlock and re-lock the bootloader.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the insight, Jared. Glad you are enjoying TPA on the new device.

I wouldn't object if you wanted to post some more table screens in portrait mode ;)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks for the insight, Jared. Glad you are enjoying TPA on the new device.

I wouldn't object if you wanted to post some more table screens in portrait mode ;)

What are your favorite tables? :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Anything but Goin Nuts!

*Attack From Mars*

Probably the finest example of lighting and alpha planes in _any_ TPA table to date.

y5y2a2es.jpg

Top playfield with flashers going.

pa6ybe8e.jpg

Cropped launcher view.

aqeze7a8.jpg

BLAST THOSE MARTIANS!

usyqetu9.jpg

Side view of the table, showing the detail in the playfield.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'll add this: if there is a device that could take a good shot at hi res graphics, it would be this one @Ryan Routon ...

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks, Jared! AFM looks nice.

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to test the portrait mode in the PC beta, if FarSight manage to get it included.

timmyD

Nov 28, 2012
All I can say is I'm very happy with my 2nd Gen Nexus purchase. It is a lot better than Gen 1 in categories like screen (wow!), weight (lighter), size (its easier to hold portrait mode), speakers (yes, two speakers, better positioned and certainly louder).

The other subtle improvements like cpu and gpu speed are just that, they are significant, but somehow "subtle" to me, the aesthetics really won me over (did I mention the screen?) :)

It's not perfect. It wasn't free, and somehow, touch typing, I have many more errors than on my smaller Note 2. Also, the camera is nice, I forgot that. It's not even smartphone quality, but at least it's something.

Oh, and Zen HD and TPA absolutely ROCK on this gizmo!

If you are happy with the 1st Gen Nexus... You can skip this Gen perhaps and get gen 3 next year, that's my opinion though.

Now I'm in Heaven if FS releases
Haunted House (coming)
High Speed (1)
Cyclone

Oh and 50 other tables ;)

Tim

N

netizen

Looks good Jared.

Makes me eager to see what Samsung does with their big.LITTLE processor balancing program they have been coding for the exynos chipsets that they are currently testing in the S4 i9500. It is one of the projected chipsets for larger tablets once the load balancing and power issues are sorted, which the newest code release has apparently done.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7313/samsung-announces-biglittle-mp-support-in-exynos-5420

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Looks good Jared.

Makes me eager to see what Samsung does with their big.LITTLE processor balancing program they have been coding for the exynos chipsets that they are currently testing in the S4 i9000. It is one of the projected chipsets for larger tablets once the load balancing and power issues are sorted, which the newest code release has apparently done.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7313/samsung-announces-biglittle-mp-support-in-exynos-5420

It will indeed be interesting to see what they do with that tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts