Nexus 7 and TPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
Just seen my Christmas Pressie coming back from the shops with my wife.
It's a Nexus 7 - Yeeeesss! Can't wait now.
Dropped a lot of hints, but thought they were falling on deaf ears. :D
Big sh1t eating grin all over my face now!

That is awesome news. I would like to have one of those myself.

N

Nik Barbour

With a USB OTG cable my USB Sega Saturn Pad started working instantly without the need for any app. This thing never ceases to amaze me. Now if TPA could just add support for inputs beside touchscreen we'd be in business.

+1 for customisable keyboard inputs in TPA

Trying to summon up the bottle to root it so I can use sixaxis app.
Gulp! Never confident doing this.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Just seen my Christmas Pressie coming back from the shops with my wife.
It's a Nexus 7 - Yeeeesss! Can't wait now.
Dropped a lot of hints, but thought they were falling on deaf ears. :D
Big sh1t eating grin all over my face now!

Dude! Sweet!

No more waiting for your phone to go out of contract!

You'll love the Nexus 7. My wife is really enjoying hers, because it enables her to read social media sites while feeding the small child.

N

Nik Barbour

Dude! Sweet!

No more waiting for your phone to go out of contract!

You'll love the Nexus 7. My wife is really enjoying hers, because it enables her to read social media sites while feeding the small child.

Cheers mate - it plays TPA & Zen beautifully. (is Zen portrait only? - got a 2 min try before snatched off me)

Something about your post makes me feel like I've bought a 'Chick' tablet now (marketed for a woman).
Have I bought the Porsche Boxster equivalent of a tablet?
I'll have to change the pink leather folio case for something more grey or black:D

Going to use it for a week, check there are no hardware faults, then try and build up some courage to root it (I want to use 'Sixaxis' app).

Always nervous unlocking the bootloader and rooting with new toys. Going to keep the rom stock though I think.
Noticed Xda have toolkits for root now - almost 1 click.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012
Always nervous unlocking the bootloader and rooting with new toys. Going to keep the rom stock though I think.
I'm also tempted to unlock mine, but I'm holding off now. Other than screen flicker, I really love mine and I don't feel the need to change much. My phone is rooted, so I can use Bluetooth tethering between that and the tablet.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm also tempted to unlock mine, but I'm holding off now. Other than screen flicker, I really love mine and I don't feel the need to change much. My phone is rooted, so I can use Bluetooth tethering between that and the tablet.

If Farsight would implement customisable keyboard inputs I might not even root.

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Cheers mate - it plays TPA & Zen beautifully. (is Zen portrait only? - got a 2 min try before snatched off me)

Something about your post makes me feel like I've bought a 'Chick' tablet now (marketed for a woman).
Have I bought the Porsche Boxster equivalent of a tablet?
I'll have to change the pink leather folio case for something more grey or black:D

Going to use it for a week, check there are no hardware faults, then try and build up some courage to root it (I want to use 'Sixaxis' app).

Unlocking and rooting the Nexus 7 is incredibly easy. Just download the Nexus toolkit from XDA developers. In fact here is the link for you

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

and the thread on XDA site...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2015469

The toolkit works with all nexus devices and has everything you need included in one nice neat tidy little package.

In addition anything you do to root or unlock the device can be undone. It can be relocked and returned to stock without a trace left that you have unlocked the bootloader and/or rooted it. In fact I used to own a Nexus 7, but I had to return it. So I relocked it and returned it w/o any issue. The whole thing is pretty easy, just follow the simple instructions and it'll be easy.

Also, anytime you unlock the bootloader on an android device it wipes the internal memory of said device. So better to do it soon, rather than wait and lose all your stuff. Especially since on the Nexus 7 you can undo everything if you decide to return it.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I rooted mine and my android phone and it's great. Really opens up a new level of functionality, especially the ability to block ads, which is fantastic. Also the potential of damaging your device is virtually nil when you are just unlocking bootloader and rooting it. Although once you start flashing roms/kernels you have a chance to break it, but, only if you flash something which is not meant for your device, or the specific version of your device. Anyways, good luck!

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Thanks DornoDios! - I'll use it for a few days (check for hardware faults) then root.
I have done a few devices in the past, but it's always different somehow when it's your new toy.
Happy Christmas!

N

Nik Barbour

Couldn't wait re rooting - had it a day and wanted to use the ps3 controller.
2 Guinness, 1/2 bottle of wine, 2 Cuba libres later, rooting was less nerve wracking.
Had a couple of driver issues, but it's done now. The Wugfresh root toolkit is a nice piece of programming.
Much nicer playing with a wireless controller.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Couldn't wait re rooting - had it a day and wanted to use the ps3 controller.
2 Guinness, 1/2 bottle of wine, 2 Cuba libres later, rooting was less nerve wracking.
Had a couple of driver issues, but it's done now. The Wugfresh root toolkit is a nice piece of programming.
Much nicer playing with a wireless controller.

Hi Nik - have you tried Revenge of the Rob-o-bot with the wireless controller too, and if so how does it play?

Does anyone know if an Xbox wireless controller can be used as cell?

N

Nik Barbour

Hi Nik - have you tried Revenge of the Rob-o-bot with the wireless controller too, and if so how does it play?

Does anyone know if an Xbox wireless controller can be used as cell?

Hey Silverballs - yeah I've just tried Revenge of the Rob-o-bot with the controller and it plays real nice.
Only thing that can't be mapped is the nudge up because its a physical movement, same goes for nudging on Zen too, although TPA is fine because its a touchscreen for nudging.

I'm using sixaxis app which only works with ps3 controller, but I know there is another thread in the android section which talks about controller options using an app linked below.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poke64738.usbjoy

Jared Morgs and Darkuni use this app, which I think can connect to an Xbox controller. I'd send Jared a PM see if he can give any advice.

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
I was just playing Revenge of the Rob-o-bot earlier myself! It's a pretty fun game, although took me a good half dozen plays before I started to get the hang of it.

Also, glad to hear my post was helpful. Don't have the Nexus 7 anymore unfortunately. Although I did get a new phone with the same Tegra 3 processor. TPA is not quite the same on a phone with a 4.7 inch screen, but, it'll have to do for now, lol. Btw, the phone is an HTC One X+.

Oddly TPA doesn't run particularly well on the One X+ unless you root it and use this program called 'renovate game boost' or you can use 'SetCPU' and change the governor. Apparently HTC's default governor is really aggressive in trying to save power, which ends up causing the occasional skipping of frames and such. Thankfully though all is working well now after making those changes.

Did you see the top score on Rob-o-bot? Top guy has like 1.4 billion and the next closest score is around 10m i think. He must be a haxxorz! lol

N

Nik Barbour

Re connecting via Wiimote with 4.2.1
Had an issue attempting to connect a wiimote via both bluez.Ime and natively within Jellybean and snes9x.
Kept receiving the error "bt socket connect failed"
Seems Google screwed with the bluetooth connectivity in this release.
Copied below is the author of bluez.ime's explanation........

Usually this happens because Android recognizes your device as a HID (Human Input Device) and handles the connection. When Bluez-IME connects, the device has already connected, and refuses the second connection.
In this case, it should all work without Bluez-IME, because Android handles the connection. I have heard reports that you can disable the auto-connection somewhere in the Android settings by long-pressing the paired device and selecting something on the menu.
Sadly there is no way for me to fix this, because the device needs to be paired before Android will connect, but once paired, it "hogs" the connection.

Sixaxis app works ok, as it has received a recent 4.2 fix, other similar bluetooth apps (usb/bt joystick centre 6) will / are going to struggle to connect to any device running 4.2
Beware before you upgrade your rom - hopefully this will be fixed in the next version.

N

Nik Barbour

Apparently JB 4.2.2 OTA update for Nexus 7 has started rolling out about 9hrs ago.

Post up, if you've got it, & regarding TPA compatibility.

*if you're rooted - don't forget 'OTA rootkeeper' app by Voodoo is an excellent tool.

Last edited:

Day

Jan 9, 2013
Apparently JB 4.2.2 OTA update for Nexus 7 has started rolling out about 9hrs ago.

Post up, if you've got it, & regarding TPA compatibility.

*if you're rooted - don't forget 'OTA rootkeeper' app by Voodoo is an excellent tool.

thank's for the heads-up Nik. l immediately headed on over to G-Play and installed OTA rootkeeper and made a backup. up till now the update is not being offered, even if I go into system and check 4 updates it says I'm up-to-date on 4.2.1. does one need to temp unroot to qualify for and be offered the update.... or should I be patient... they'll get to me when they're ready :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

N

Nik Barbour

thank's for the heads-up Nik. l immediately headed on over to G-Play and installed OTA rootkeeper and made a backup. up till now the update is not being offered, even if I go into system and check 4 updates it says I'm up-to-date on 4.2.1. does one need to temp unroot to qualify for and be offered the update.... or should I be patient... they'll get to me when they're ready :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm not completely sure, this will be my first update on a stock - rooted device. All my other rooted droids have had the OS replaced (Cyanogenmod or MIUI) so required manually updating through 'RomManager'.

I'm guessing, keep root shown and the update will be made available in batches.

If anyone actually knows the procedure - post up please.

N

Nik Barbour

Hearing reports this doesn't fix the bluetooth connectivity issue with controllers.

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
Mine just updated, southern California at about 1 pm I'd say. Now running JB 4.2.2, no issues so far. TPA works great. CV is still buggy but I didn't think this would fix it.

Nick could you post a link to said Bluetooth info? There's a ton of open threads around with no answers to these questions.

N

Nik Barbour

Mine just updated, southern California at about 1 pm I'd say. Now running JB 4.2.2, no issues so far. TPA works great. CV is still buggy but I didn't think this would fix it.

Nick could you post a link to said Bluetooth info? There's a ton of open threads around with no answers to these questions.

Thanks for the update mate, glad there are no issues with TPA.

The bluetooth controller connectivity issues are confirmed un-fixed in 4.2.2 on a Nexus 10 by Shane Monroe, who posts on these forums, but was sharing this info on Google+ last night.

The weblink to the thread is here....
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/s...wwp3mMEEDPOoxEzmSIkwWFAAAuCxJUigBMNCVlKCktLUC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts