Now for something a little newer - The Getaway!

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I spent the entire summer repairing EM's so I was on the lookout for something a little newer. I really can't afford games like TZ or some of the "best" WPC titles. So there are very few that I would consider dropping the dough on. BSD comes to mind.

Anyway I've always liked Getaway. I do remember playing it at a local Pizza Hut when it was new. I always thought the Supercharger was the coolest toy in a pin. Even better than Rudy. So, earlier last month I bought one at the York Show. $1750.00. Not a steal but a decent price. Did not work. Column of switches out. Turned out to be the U20 Chip on the CPU. Replaced and socketed. Seller told me the triac board had issues so the Mars Lamp (the beacon light) didn't work. No. Someone had plugged the triac board into the wrong outlet on the driver board. Works fine. Also had some reset issues. CPU voltage was 4.86 or so in attract mode. Replaced BR1, BR2, C4, C5 and the voltage regulator on the driver board. Brought voltage up to 4.96. Wish it was over 5 but haven't had any resets when putting the game through stress tests. Also rebuilt the high voltage section of the DMD board with GPE kit and added a remote battery holder.

Playfield torn down and cleaned. Supercharger taken apart, cleaned and polished. All coils taken out and mechanicals cleaned or replaced as needed. Shifter taken apart and cleaned. Cliffy posts installed along with the tunnel saucer protector. Added a couple lights. One under the tunnel saucer and one in the far back left corner under the green tree plastic. Whole game re-rebbured and Super Bands installed. Playfield cleaned with Novus and several coats of Meguiars Carnauba Wax applied. Ramps cleaned and polished with Never Dull. Most of the LED's are Comets with a few Pinball Bulb LED's as well. Mostly the cool whites.

Make no mistake this is "players game." It has some planking and raised inserts that I leveled as much as I could within the boundaries of my skills. Cabinet is decent with some fading on the left side while the right doesn't look like there's any. Nonetheless, it's pretty wicked and now I'm just waiting for my dad to have some free time to visit and help me carry it in the house.

upload images

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Great pics as always dtown.
I'm with you on the supercharger. The first time I got a ball in there I was blown away. One of the best toys ever for sure.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
If you get all three accelerator magnets working, then this mechanism is the fastest thing in pinball.

If this makes it to TPA, I would hate to be the Dev doing the mesh testing on this particular area. So many lost balls... 😉

karl

May 10, 2012
Looks like you did a fantastic job on this beauty. Congrats! And pretty damn good pictures also

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Awesome pics. Thank you for sharing. Love the one with shift reflected in the ball.

Enjoy the game!

Thanks everybody. I really appreciate the compliments. Getting the ball to sit still was a b*tch. That Diamond Plate playfield is so slick.

My next project really turns the clock backwards. A 1951 Genco Hits and Runs for my dad. Can't wait to see how that one turns out. :rolleyes:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Moved my Getaway inside from the garage today. Thanks Dad for the help! Though I was able to run her through stress tests in the garage, the game was on a cart and, since I have a low ceiling out there, it was never in a position for playing.

Jebus freakin' Chiminey is this thing fast! :eek: The kickback fires the ball into the tunnel which, some of the time, can't hold it, and shoots out the side. Think it's the fault of the Cliffy, or should I make the playfield steeper?

Wife was asking "when does the light come on?" I told her "when I get to multiball...oh and the ball just shot down the left outlane." Jebus, this game is wicked! Less wax next time. :D

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Wow, these pictures of pinball are some of the best Ive ever seen - the shift ball pic was an instant iPad background change for me, I would be very interested to see some more of your pinball photographic work if youve got it all in a thread somewhere (nudge nudge wink wink)

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Wow, these pictures of pinball are some of the best Ive ever seen - the shift ball pic was an instant iPad background change for me, I would be very interested to see some more of your pinball photographic work if youve got it all in a thread somewhere (nudge nudge wink wink)

Thanks. My best stuff gets posted in the threads with the associated table. The rest gets trashed. I'm working on a really old game right now and have some ideas already in the works. ;)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Mmm... sorry.
Wow, this table looks so rare.

It is. With a production run of only 490 in 1951, there's very few in existence today. My dad just happened to come upon one in an antique shop. From what I know, there's two listed on the pinball serial number database, two listed as being owned on pinside (including mine), one at the Paris Pinball Museum, and one sold at the Silverman auction over the summer.

I just finished work on the backbox. All four of the steppers had some kind of issue other than just needing to be cleaned. It's tedious because so many of these parts are almost impossible to replace. You should have saw me soaking two of the stepper arms in PB Blaster just to get them off of their shafts without breaking them. I took a break today before going to work for the weekend because I needed to. It's also cold in my garage too. :rolleyes:

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I really admire what you are capable of.
We're talking about art here.
I mean it.
Can't wait for the pics. :cool:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts