Now for something really old - 1951 Genco Hits and Runs

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Here's a link to the pinside thread. Check it out to see how dirty this game was.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genco-hits-and-runs-did-dad-pay-too-much

Basically, I repaired this game for my father. He bought if from an antique shop and wanted to get it running right. I told him that I'd give him my time for free but he's paying for the parts. He agreed. So I brought it home about a month ago and, as of today, I'm just about done. Some minor adjustments to do and I want to put a few more games on it to see how reliable it will hold up.

Anywho, this is a game called Hits and Runs by a company that's been gone since the late 50's. With a production run of just 490, there's very few in existence today. Heck, there's just two listed on pinside including mine. This game came out about four years after the first flipper game, Humpty Dumpty. It was probably designed by Harvey Heiss with input from Steve Kordek. This is just an educated guess because Heiss was the designer at Genco at the time and Kordek assisted him. Kordek's influence is definitely seen in the two flippers at the bottom. An arrangement that he introduced in 1948's Triple Action. However, unlike today's games, they're placed outwards instead of inwards. The game is basically about scoring runs which happen when you roll over the lit rollovers at the top of the playfield. They do rotate so it's not the same one lit all the time. Every now and then either side lane will light up and rolling through them will award "special." When the score motor turns it moves the two little guys at the top back and forth. The figure on the right is original but the one on the left was added many years ago. I painted him to make him look like the other guy. The pop bumpers did not have lights in them which I thought was silly so I added sockets and tied them into the general illumination.

Believe it or not this game uses DC voltage for its coils. The transformer is mounted under the playfield and it has this large apparatus called a selenium rectifier attached to it which converted the current from AC to DC. Well, this thing did not work right anymore which seems to be common in these old Genco's. So, I took a modern day bridge rectifier and re-routed the AC voltage through that. Much more kick now. I thank Pinball Ninja (Clay Harrell) for his details on how to do that.

So, as always, here's some pics.

image url

adult photo hosting

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Ya'know DTown. You could put these pretty pictures in a big hardbound book and charge an exorbitant price for it. It's been done and with, imho, lesser quality pics.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I wouldn't say I have enough for a book but if local people were interested in opening their collection up for me to photograph, I'd consider it. I wonder, though, how many copies of the "Pinball" book were sold? Would it even be worth it? I just do this because of my love for photography and pinball and I like documenting some of the work I've done. Since the summer, I've repaired five games:
1976 Williams Aztec
1972 Gottlieb King Rock
1977 Williams Liberty Bell
1992 Williams The Getaway
1951 Genco Hits and Runs

I have two more in my garage which will just have to wait till spring. A 1974 Gottlieb Top Card (which I can't wait to get working) and a 1958 Gottlieb Sunshine which I picked up for $45.00. Does not have a back glass so I'm on the lookout for one. Worse comes to worse, I can always get a repro in that $250.00 range. Would be acceptable considering the low price I payed for the game. Playfield and plastics are in really nice shape.

But, I think I'm going into hibernation for the winter. Finally getting some TPA on PS4 on the 23rd. Many games to play.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
I wouldn't say I have enough for a book but if local people were interested in opening their collection up for me to photograph, I'd consider it. I wonder, though, how many copies of the "Pinball" book were sold? Would it even be worth it? I just do this because of my love for photography and pinball and I like documenting some of the work I've done. Since the summer, I've repaired five games:
1976 Williams Aztec
1972 Gottlieb King Rock
1977 Williams Liberty Bell
1992 Williams The Getaway
1951 Genco Hits and Runs

I have two more in my garage which will just have to wait till spring. A 1974 Gottlieb Top Card (which I can't wait to get working) and a 1958 Gottlieb Sunshine which I picked up for $45.00. Does not have a back glass so I'm on the lookout for one. Worse comes to worse, I can always get a repro in that $250.00 range. Would be acceptable considering the low price I payed for the game. Playfield and plastics are in really nice shape.

But, I think I'm going into hibernation for the winter. Finally getting some TPA on PS4 on the 23rd. Many games to play.
beautiful pictures dude!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts