Nu Skool Breaks

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
kutiman is a musician who one day some time ago decided to try dling a bunch of yt vids of people showing themselves practicing their musical instruments, and try mashing 'em together... the youtube-generation's EBN and such like that! brilliant - and a real home-grown breakbeat!! awesome how he makes this track mix and break down, even including pipe-organ into the mix! (as far as i've seen, his other vids are a bit less frenetic, but are just as artistically molded and crafted... his own music/band is awesome in its own right!)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
here's another favorite of mine in the world-beat vein - talvin singh; a nice remix of something off of his "O.K." disc i'd never heard before... :)

p.s. i sooooo wish mtv still was airing AMP - best reason still currently for that network to bother existing! ;0

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
OHHHH YAYYYY, finally found something buried in my brain (one from the mid-ninties mtv "AMP" era) - alec empire's "low on ice"... a real "drone" of a dub-bass track... always liked this one.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Hey [MENTION=4374]WhiteChocolate[/MENTION], that Alec Empire... My brother used to have a cd of his. It was more hardcore/tear your face off. And strangely enough he used to have a record of Talvin Singh's. He gave it to me, so I'll have to dig it out. It's just interesting because I'm surprised I've heard of those. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. But I do like giving people suggestions. As far as not being an expert, when I wikipediad nu Skool breaks, there were a bunch of artists I hadn't heard. But from the sounds of it you'd be more into experimental. You really gotta check out Boards of Canada, and Ulrich Snauss if you get the chance

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Another break for ya. Funny, cause in the comments, I was the only one to leave 2 or them 3 years ago. Don't even remember doing that

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
Hey [MENTION=4374]WhiteChocolate[/MENTION], that Alec Empire... My brother used to have a cd of his. It was more hardcore/tear your face off. And strangely enough he used to have a record of Talvin Singh's. He gave it to me, so I'll have to dig it out. It's just interesting because I'm surprised I've heard of those. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject. But I do like giving people suggestions. As far as not being an expert, when I wikipediad nu Skool breaks, there were a bunch of artists I hadn't heard. But from the sounds of it you'd be more into experimental. You really gotta check out Boards of Canada, and Ulrich Snauss if you get the chance

maybe that other alec empire record was of his Atari Teenage Riot stuff? -that- shiz is very hardcore, definitely -not- "easy-listening" music! i actually was into ATR first, back in my "i'm so goth" days lol... then saw that clip on AMP and it blew my mind that he could also make such sweet, mellow drumbass sound. funny how yin/yang his talent runs... the original title of that track i guess is "22:24", so if you're looking for that disc/mix, might search by that title instead of "low on ice."

last i knew, talvin singh didn't have too much stuff commonly available stateside; he might have more that's import-only perhaps... just love international djs and their mixing of club with traditional music/instrumentation; kutiman of course has very much the same flavor.

i seem to remember you (or someone else) posted some ulrich and board tracks here or in the music vid thread; i'll tune into them next time i come across them! :) dig lots of the other stuff upthread here too.

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Thanks a lot man. It means a lot to me that I'm not the only one that digs this stuff. I don't believe anyone posted boards or ulrick yet. But it's about time. Plaid is very similar to boards, but plaid likes to combine 3 or 4 melodies ontop of eachother, whereas boards like to mess with the sounds a bit more. Here is an example of plaid combining melodies...

Love love love Plaid. If you look closely there is a plaid sticker on the glass in Shawn of the dead. I'd suggest Rest Proof Clockwork. It's like the 'dark side of the moon' of experimental. To me at least

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I'm too excited about the Stern + FarSight merger to post a spooky breakbeat today ;)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
(coming back to thread after a bit of a break away; busy with other threads/other things in life...)

that amb tune is rad; very melodic, mellow bridge... then makes ya wanna jump in your seat! very much in the talvin-singh vein, seems to me!

ohhh, meat beat manifesto! something i've very much been needing to fill out my early waxtrax collection (of which there's practically none; much exposure back in the late 80s/early 90s, but never got myself). they were *****in'... (oh i can't even say "beechin" here? ;0) waxtrax back then wasn't just ministry, though it was "the house that ministry built," as the saying went way back when... :)

thinking of which, another waxtrax group i dug, not only for their beats, but because they were soooo unapologetically political, was "consolidated"... ever hear of them extork? they were like mbm but really, really in-yer-face way back before - i dunno, maybe it was important to be so!

actually just search youtube for "wax trax" if you never have; lots of interesting stuff there... but here's a sample of consolidated, just to try... (check out the barcode on the back of the guy's neck there near the beginning... think the wachowskis maybe were into this group before they wrote "the matrix"? ;0)

maybe not very break-beat, but very "slam-beat"... loved this shiz, back then! there wasn't anything like it at the time. and i loved the political vibe... the push-back was really hard, against movies and music like this at the time (thanks somewhat to the PMRC movement in the late eighties, and thanks Tipper Gore for why i didn't vote for the 2k election! lame, i know, in retrospect... it wouldn't have changed the music industry anymore than it already had, with the parental warning labels that already had been self-imposed by the INdustry at the time... :\)

... unfortunately it was all just grist for the "clear channel" radio industry to have a "9-11" to ban such stuff like "rage against the machine" from the airwaves... (look up the story; radio-station networks post-9-11 effectively "banned" playing RATM and other "agenda" music at the time! paving the way for the "disney-opera-ifivcation" of american pop radio to this day... and "hottest r&b sensations" like MF zendaya and her GD zit commercials twice/three times per comedy-central breaks ;0... )

:\ yes, music is political! -everything- is political, even disney, no matter what my sister thinks, lol! ;0 just sayin', just to say i'm sayin'. ;)

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Oh whitechocolate, you know I can never keep up with your words.
Chill out on this for a sec

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
^ so I showed that to a random person to let them know what kinda music I listen to. Cause everyone else said they like metal. Probably a bad example, and it sounded like sh[l on my phone. At least I admitted what I listen to is weird. Funny that that person said they do like dubstep though. But he was like, yeah that's weird. He mentioned something about wub-wubs. But there are some wubbers in there. It's just more subtle and building when it comes to breaks.

^ that right there is exactly the convo I have with new people about TPA. Replace the music with TPA. Maybe I'm just really bad at selling these awesome things. Shoulda played him Breakfastaz, right Dreks? Just hate that after the fact I can think of a bunch of beginner breaks tracks. I'm so sick of people calling it disco, or even techno. I can live with people saying, oh you listen to techno... Eminem kinda killed it for a bunch of people. And why in the hell do people think it's gay? Enough with showing (real life) people what I listen to. No one gives it a chance. It just boggles my mind because to me, it could be played anywhere. Maybe it's because I'm always alone, and it's much better to actually sit there by yourself and listen to what's going on in the track. Either way, I'll keep posting whatever nu Skool breaks tunes pop in my mind to you guys, because at least some people in the world care. Just wish people were more open. If they don't hear the hardcore sh[l going on in the tracks, they aren't playing it loud enough, or just aren't paying attention because they'd rather be listening to thier damn Eminem.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Not sure what to classify this as, who cares? Defiantly not nu Skool breaks. But it's for ShutYerTrap. Strings + beats, well here ta go... And if you like this you should check out hybrid - finished symphony! They hired a whole symphony and wrote all the parts. Maybe I'll post that aswell.

These really just belong in a movie, so work your magic SYT

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.