NYKO controller work with table's Start button?

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
On some old threads here I have seen where people suggest to use the NYKO Playpad controller with Android TPA. I have that controller and it works well with many apps on both my Android (Samsung Galaxy S3) phone and on my Kindle Fires. In the Pinball Arcade, once I have a table started, I can use that NYKO for all the basic functions- flippers, plunger, and nudge. But I cannot get the NYKO to Start a table after that table has been selected. Once I am on the screen that has Start, "Game setup", "Exit Table", "Table menu", and "Leaderboards", the "Start" button is flashing on the TPA screen but the "A" button on the NYKO doesn't select Start. The only button on the NYKO controller that I can find that does anything at that point is the "B" button and that activates "Exit Table".

Has anyone else tried the NYKO controller and either run into this same problem, or found a way to get the NYKO to select the Start button on this screen?

Notes:
1) I have this same problem with TPA on both Android and Kindle Fire.
2) The "A" button does Start the flow when I have the wheel of tables to select which table.
3)The reason I need this is because my Kindle Fire (or possible my Android device), is going to be on the other side of the room near the TV. So I want to be able to use the NYKO Bluetooth controller to do all the functions. In other words, I don't want to have to get up from the couch to have to touch the screen every time I want to start or restart a table. :)

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I think that's just down to the controller implementation by FDS. Haven't used it for a long time, but I remember vaguely you could enter a table via the controller but not restart it via any controller. All hid controllers will behave the same regardless of brand.

Just press the button on the damned screen. It's probably like only a foot away from you. :)

Edit - just read your notes, screens five foot away. You should have bought an Nvidia Shield. Whole things your own fault.

Last edited:

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Edit - just read your notes, screens five foot away. .

Yeah, but when playing TPA with my family member who is very novice at pinball, that 5 ft (well more like 8 ft) from the couch is going to turn into miles when I have to get up to restart the table every minute on my Fire (that was going to be hard wired to the TV through its SlimPort to HDMI connection). :) If I want to be on my feet that much with TPA, I can stick to standing alone in front my pseudo-cabinet that's on PC/Steam.

... You should have bought an Nvidia Shield. Whole things your own fault.

Actually, I DID buy an Nvidia Shield TV! Google Play would not install TPA on that Android TV device. So I had to sideload it. Then I could not get the NVIDIA Shield Controller to navigate the TPA menus, so I hooked up a wireless mouse. When I clicked the mouse on the Start button to start any table, TPA tilted! (Much like rob3d mentioned in http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/10291-Android-TV-support?p=233356&viewfull=1#post233356 ) In fact all of that happened last night, so today I am exploring other ways of playing TPA on my TV. Do you have a way to play TPA on an NVIDIA Shield TV ?

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It is nothing wrong with your controller.

As Baron suggests, TPA doesn't have full HID support.

You can navigate from the front screen > carousel > game flyover. But that is fat as the mapping goes for the UI.

Zen does, and is an excellent example of how it should be done.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Ok, thanks. I guess I will use the Fire TV Stick again when I am on the TV, which with the Fire TV version of TPA, fully supports the controllers I have tried with it. (NYKO and Amazon's own.)
Or better yet see if can get Gamestream to carry TPA from my Nvidia GTX video card to my Nvidia Shield TV. That's ideal anyways since I own all of the tables on Steam PC, while I own far fewer tables on Kindle Fire (which I also use on Android).

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I've got a Shield K1 Tablet which got MM6.0 just before Christmas.
The controller mapping and controller software was initially very broken by the OS upgrade and just didn't work. Then last week Nvidia released an OTA update to version 1.1 and everything is fixed again.
The shield controller has a thumb track pad which means you can easily navigate non controller games from the sofa and the gamepad mapper allows additional control functions to be added. The shield tablet also has a hdmi out port, so when you're not on the move, plug it in and you have a mini console.
Should definitely be the best way for you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.