Official Williams Volume 2 news

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
Not hurting sales as far as Zen is concerned, because it sold better than they were hoping for. Essentially they are selling to 2 audiences; the Zen crowd that never played TPA (shockingly their numbers are many), and the TPA crowd who already owns many of these. Hitting the big titles already done is for the first group’s benefit. It also serves the second crowd by allowing them to directly compare and see just how well Zen is treating these titles. Now that they know these are being received well, it’ll be safe for them to do some of the unmade titles but their lead time is much greater than FarSight’s ever was, so don’t expect anything of this nature till pack 4.

I'm one of the original Zen crowd veterans, having been enamoured with the game since 2010. The reason why I never played TPA is because the ball felt like a floating hockey puck and I could never get any feel for it. The only TPA table that I played for an extended period was Tales of Arabian Nights but it never really gripped me and I never got into the game as I did with the Zen tables. I had more than enough goals to aim for with Zen's tables that I never had a reason to give TPA more of a go. My gaming requirements have changed tremendously over the last couple of years with family, work and study responsibilities so the Williams tables has been a godsend for me as I can still enjoy a decent game in a relatively short amount of time. I'm looking forward to any new Williams / Bally table that Zen is going to bring out as they are all new to me. My biggest hope for their originals is that they will design and release them with both Zen and Arcade physics like they have for the Williams/Bally tables as I'm more interested in playing with arcade physics from now on.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
My biggest hope for their originals is that they will design and release them with both Zen and Arcade physics like they have for the Williams/Bally tables as I'm more interested in playing with arcade physics from now on.

Cloda, I share your sentiment.

The lack of Deep’s physics engine on all other Zen tables is the one thing that’s stopping me from buying them. I wanted to buy them all during the recent Steam sale but just can’t take the plunge without knowing which (if any) tables will receive the updated physics.

I understand that each table will need a lot of rebalancing in order to make them playable with the new physics but I really hope Zen can make it work.

Last edited:

tpafan

Nov 5, 2013
And see, I love the look of the plastics! If you go into table view and look, you can see how the light adjusts through the transparency, sometimes with a rainbow like shimmer. It looks how brand new, clear plastic should. Being used to seeing yellowed or scratched or heat warped plastic, I saw a Whitewater with perfect plastic and it was a revelation. I was reminded of that as soon as I saw what Zen was doing, and my first thought was I couldn’t wait to see Whitewater, No Good Gophers, and Creature.

Hi,

How do I go into table view with Zen Williams Pinball?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
And see, I love the look of the plastics! If you go into table view and look, you can see how the light adjusts through the transparency, sometimes with a rainbow like shimmer. It looks how brand new, clear plastic should. Being used to seeing yellowed or scratched or heat warped plastic, I saw a Whitewater with perfect plastic and it was a revelation. I was reminded of that as soon as I saw what Zen was doing, and my first thought was I couldn’t wait to see Whitewater, No Good Gophers, and Creature.

I get where you're coming from but for me they still have a bit of an ethereal look to them, and not quite convincing as a solid object.

tpafan

Nov 5, 2013
I use an xbox controller on PC. Pressing and holding the X button while using the left analog stick enables the look around table view.

Ah I'm playing with keyboard and couldn't get the table view whatever keys I use. With my Xbox controller connected it works, thanks!

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Cloda, I share your sentiment.

The lack of Deep’s physics engine on all other Zen tables is the one thing that’s stopping me from buying them. I wanted to buy them all during the recent Steam sale but just can’t take the plunge without knowing which (if any) tables will receive the updated physics.

I understand that each table will need a lot of rebalancing in order to make them playable with the new physics but I really hope Zen can make it work.

I agree with both of you as well as members who share the same thought. I've been playing mostly Zen table until the release of Williams Vol 1 and I must say, That I wish these physics were in Zen's older tables. I actually love all of Zen's tables aside from a few that I probably wouldn't play even with Deep's changes. Certainly some tables would require a huge overload to compensate. Like one of you said, I'm hoping the new original/licensed tables Zen makes will have the new physics.

With that I didn't get any tables past TPA season 3 (Well maybe World cup Soccer). I've always thought that TPA was a bit floaty and Zen's was too heavy. The williams release was a breath of fresh air. With these physics in Zen's tables, it would also be a breath of fresh air.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
All the tables released prior to FX3 would benefit the most from Deep's physics change, and many of those already got a slight tweak between FX2 and FX3. Zen is now well aware that they have a whole untapped market out there who would buy the old tables if new physics are applied, plus it would add unity across the platform when choosing between Single Player and Classic Single Player (which I always thought was the most confusing way of labeling something!).

With the Williams packs, I find myself not playing Arcade mode exclusively. I play an equal amount in Zen mode just because sometimes I want to progress deep into the game without the struggle. It's fun having all the passive and active upgrades as well. I switch back and forth between the two versions, sorta creating a mini challenge with myself to see how different the scores can be. I also find myself joining in on a lot of random tournaments using the Williams games, just to face off with other people. That alone is what has made firing up TPA a much rarer instance for me.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
New pack #2 release schedule

Dec 4 – Xbox One, Windows 10, Steam, PS4 Sony Europe, Mac
Dec 5 – PS4 Sony North America
Dec 18 – Nintendo Switch in North American and Europe

Cloda

Oct 15, 2018
With the Williams packs, I find myself not playing Arcade mode exclusively. I play an equal amount in Zen mode just because sometimes I want to progress deep into the game without the struggle. It's fun having all the passive and active upgrades as well. I switch back and forth between the two versions, sorta creating a mini challenge with myself to see how different the scores can be. I also find myself joining in on a lot of random tournaments using the Williams games, just to face off with other people. That alone is what has made firing up TPA a much rarer instance for me.

My priority these days is fast, intense games and as such I don't enjoy the Zen mode as such anymore. I find it exhilarating in classic arcade mode to suddenly get that one game where everything click and the score just soar. The reality is that I can then play twenty more games over the next couple of days where I don't get anywhere close to a decent score but knowing that the next high scoring game can happen at any moment. That thrill is what I enjoy most about the classic arcade physics compared to the grindy and predictable gameplay with Zen mode once you master a table.

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
My priority these days is fast, intense games and as such I don't enjoy the Zen mode as such anymore. I find it exhilarating in classic arcade mode to suddenly get that one game where everything click and the score just soar. The reality is that I can then play twenty more games over the next couple of days where I don't get anywhere close to a decent score but knowing that the next high scoring game can happen at any moment. That thrill is what I enjoy most about the classic arcade physics compared to the grindy and predictable gameplay with Zen mode once you master a table.

Yep, this is how I feel too. Trouble is, now my taste buds have been spoilt by the new challenging physics I can't face playing the old tables knowing that each game will last sooo long. So if they could add the physics to the back catalogue... Would be awesome.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I find it exhilarating in classic arcade mode to suddenly get that one game where everything click and the score just soar. The reality is that I can then play twenty more games over the next couple of days where I don't get anywhere close to a decent score but knowing that the next high scoring game can happen at any moment. That thrill is what I enjoy most about the classic arcade physics compared to the grindy and predictable gameplay with Zen mode once you master a table.

Exactly this. That's what pinball is all about.

The fact that Zen have managed to capture this is a breath of fresh air. For me, it's pointless playing any other way.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Agreed. This is the reason I could never could get into Zen pinball before, but now I’m blown away with what they’ve done with the license and the new physics so far. If they add arcade mode to their other tables then that will be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
finally i have seen the best physics in classic arcade mode , plus with the animations on top of the cake , what else could one bloody ask for !!!!:cool:

Members online

Members online