ok, just asking... JJ WOZ IN TPA FEASIBILITY???? :0

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
just wanted to ask, because i don't think i've seen "the big question around here yet"... CAN TPA/farsight EMU A JERSEY JACK TABLE, like "wizard of oz"?? in current form?

if not, -how much- work (lol, i bet, i know!) ... -how much- work would go into creating an emu robust enough to handle what JJ seems to be doing - installing a whole cpu inside a pinball machine? (or, is that, in maybe more limited respects, what stern has been doing all these years while in 'survivor' mode?) just how robust is the raw cpu-power in jj and stern machines, anyways, compared to say, the 'last gen' of pb machines - 90s style williams/bally/gottleib??

for that matter, while asking... what -can- TPA emulate?? and -cannot- emulate?? ranges of years? only specific manufacturers?? i know there's individual fine-tuning of tables, but is there some broader set of properties/presets to manufacturers, or is it more like 'one ring rules all' physics?? (and still, the fine-tuning per table! ;0)

just askin'... :) curious minds wanna know!! it's like a 'bro-out'... GEEK OUT! :)

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It would be spectacularly rough for the mobile devices. I don't know if you've ever looked below a Wizard of Oz's playfield, but there is actually an entire Linux-based PC sitting in the bottom of the cabinet.

Modern Sterns still have the circuit boards in the backbox. I don't recall off-hand what CPU Stern uses for its SAM2 games, but having just done a ROM update on my AC/DC machine, I can tell you that the CPU is not swift.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
Modern Sterns still have the circuit boards in the backbox. I don't recall off-hand what CPU Stern uses for its SAM2 games, but having just done a ROM update on my AC/DC machine, I can tell you that the CPU is not swift.

Stern is shy on exact tech details but it appears that newer Sterns use Atmel ARM-based microcontrollers. My guess is: no, they aren't that swift. PCs and any console should be able to emulate them just fine. Higher end mobile devices with fast processors , maybe as well.

It's the lower end devices that would be an issue even with the Sterns. 90s Williams / Bally games used a 2Mhz Motorola chip which should be able to be emulated by anything modern. The Sterns may be slow but I bet they run at least 10-20 times that speed.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Stern is shy on exact tech details but it appears that newer Sterns use Atmel ARM-based microcontrollers. My guess is: no, they aren't that swift. PCs and any console should be able to emulate them just fine. Higher end mobile devices with fast processors , maybe as well.

It's the lower end devices that would be an issue even with the Sterns. 90s Williams / Bally games used a 2Mhz Motorola chip which should be able to be emulated by anything modern. The Sterns may be slow but I bet they run at least 10-20 times that speed.

It would be cool if they could just make the newer Sterns next-gen console and PC exclusives.

A separate game altogether, maybe.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
It would be cool if they could just make the newer Sterns next-gen console and PC exclusives.

A separate game altogether, maybe.

Ah, but the majority of the money is in the mobile versions. I'm not sure this would be feasible.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ah, but the majority of the money is in the mobile versions. I'm not sure this would be feasible.

I'm pretty sure the latest iPhone, iPad, and Samsung tablets could handle it just fine. At some point, there really needs to just be a cut-off so it can't be used as an excuse anymore. That being said, I think paying for all the licenses of newer Sterns is the real issue here.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I'm pretty sure the latest iPhone, iPad, and Samsung tablets could handle it just fine. At some point, there really needs to just be a cut-off so it can't be used as an excuse anymore. That being said, I think paying for all the licenses of newer Sterns is the real issue here.

Exactly. Tons of games/apps/programs have minimum specifications.

Money for license fees isn't going to be an issue once Orbals is live...

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
yeah, i've gathered that there's already talk about leaving behind some older devices... blah! always having to keep up... i do hope they can jump into the newer sterns; since they're surviving, seems like anyone who gets to play a new one in the wild would be interested in getting a version to play whenever they want! and i know the WOZ is a long shot, long ways down the road, but still, once upon a time we could only dream, "someday there'll be enough comp.power to play decent virtual pinball!" :) maybe if they stripped out/simplified the video display...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.