PS3 - Request Option to disable two-stage flippers

Quartrez

May 24, 2013
I understand your preference for the buttons, but the triggers really operate mostly the same way except on a wider scale of motion. Its really just a matter of what's comfortable. Once you know the activation point in the trigger's range of motion its easy to be precise with.

It's the wider scale of motion that screws me up. When I play pinball, I need that on/off feeling I get from the flippers to be translated with how I play the game. It has to be a button. I hate when it's not a button, it doesn't feel right. Same goes for the PS Vita portrait mode which uses the touchscreen for the flippers. The PS Vita screen detects your thumbs even if they're a few millimeters over the screen. This means the flippers often don't go down when you need them to. (Which screws up aiming and passes)

But it doesn't really matter, I just have to use my Logitech controller :p

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It seems like an easy enough "fix" for Farsight to add an on/off option, but adding the ability to play music off your PS3 hdd is easy too, but they don't seem to want to add it.
I expect this will not change so we better just deal with pressing harder on the trigger buttons.

Crunchewy

May 29, 2013
How do you use a 360 controller with a PS3? I prefer the 360 controller and if I could use one of mine with it that would awesome!

The 2-stage flippers don't bother me, though. I actually think that's pretty cool.

Somebody needs to make a pinball controller.

The thing I would kill for an option to disable, is changing the view in-game. It's infuriating when in the heat of a game I accidentally brush one of the change view buttons. There needs to be a way to lock the view.

Last edited:

Fozman

Jun 1, 2013
As I've said on Facebook many times...pressing L1/R1 harder is different than pressing L2/R2 in farther. Many missed opportunities from machines with upper flippers. They really need to add an on/off feature. It can't really be that hard to do...

Quartrez

May 24, 2013
I'm bumping the thread. I just bought a new PS3 after my old one bit the dust (Well, the laser bit the dust) and now with the new PS3 controller I have, the shoulder buttons are new and it's almost impossible to press the button entirely, making tables with upper flippers nearly unplayable.

I cannot possibly stress this enough: The game MUST have an option to deactivate double-stage flipper controls.

I shouldn't have to plug my old Logitech PC controller to be able to play the game functionally.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I'm bumping the thread. I just bought a new PS3 after my old one bit the dust (Well, the laser bit the dust) and now with the new PS3 controller I have, the shoulder buttons are new and it's almost impossible to press the button entirely, making tables with upper flippers nearly unplayable.

I cannot possibly stress this enough: The game MUST have an option to deactivate double-stage flipper controls.

I shouldn't have to plug my old Logitech PC controller to be able to play the game functionally.

Don't you still have your old PS3 controller?

But I do a agree. They really need to have the option to turn it off, which should be a very simple thing to add.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Huh, they must be making them different now because I haven't had that problem with any of my PS3s or controllers.

Anyway, on their Facebook today they said, in response to someone else complaining about it:

The Pinball Arcade We are planning on allowing you to toggle that for a patch in the near future.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for the bump and I couldn't agree more. Hopefully it will happen before the L1/L2 buttons on both my controllers are gone.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Huh, they must be making them different now because I haven't had that problem with any of my PS3s or controllers.

Anyway, on their Facebook today they said, in response to someone else complaining about it:

I recently had to get a new controler because one my analog sticks bit the dust, and the L1/L2 buttons are really stiff on the new one. I really have to press hard to get it to flip without a delay. After a few games, my fingers are killing me.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Hi guys. Been lurking for a while now, but I came out of hiding to show support for some controller mapping and a "disable two-stage flippers" option. This is killing me. Why add something that has never been in the game before, that drastically changes the flipper play, and NOT have an option to disable it? That just doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO... It's also a PS3-only thing (as far as I can tell) and for those of us that play on more than one platform it really screws with your head (and scores).

Also - control mapping is a MUST. What I've been running into now, since I'm playing some on my rooted Xoom tab with sixaxis controller, is that nudging is WAY more effective when mapped to the d-pad. After playing on my tablet, when I go back to the PS3 my brain is wired to nudge with the L-R D-pad buttons and it messes my console play all up.

Love these games, I've been playing both PHOF's on PS since they came out, and jumped right on TPA when it was released on PSN. I own both Season 1 & 2 (come on CP and GN!!) and TPA is far and away the most played game on my system.

I also happen to own a Williams System 11 machine IRL. Police Force, if any of you remember that gem from 1989!! I'm an old school pin-head from the 80's, grew up playing Firepower and Pin*Bot, Whirlwind, and Funhouse, among others. I love what you guys do!! I am somewhat disappointed with how some of these tables have translated (BK, anyone?) to the PS3, especially when they looked & played MUCH better in PHOF. Since I play on (and service) real tables all the time, the flipper lag was killing me, and now I have to run the game in 720 to get it closer to the real thing. Would be really cool if Farsight could finally clear up that 1 frame lag in 1080p!!

Anyhow, I finally made my first post!

Game on.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Why add something that has never been in the game before, that drastically changes the flipper play, and NOT have an option to disable it? That just doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO... It's also a PS3-only thing (as far as I can tell) and for those of us that play on more than one platform it really screws with your head (and scores).

They added the feature for realism so that you could deploy the upper/lower flippers the same as on real machines. It was a bit of short sightedness (pun intended) that they deployed the feature without an option to turn it off.

The reason that it is only on the PS3 is because it has the only analog flipper buttons. The 360 might have them but of course FS hasn't been able to update the 360.

Its a good feature. They just need to build in an option to turn it off.

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
I never even noticed that there was two-stage flippers until I read this thread. Then I actually tried it by deliberately softly tapping the buttons, and I still could only get it to work as intended half of the time. I ether have a very sensitive controller, or a very hard touch, but I've never had a problem with this.

Although I have always used L2/R2 instead of the default L1/R1... maybe that makes a difference?

--Jim

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Although I have always used L2/R2 instead of the default L1/R1... maybe that makes a difference?

It shouldn't. I use L2/R2 and the two-stage effect is very noticeable. It feels like the main flipper activation point is when the trigger is about 20% pressed in and the upper flipper activation point is when the trigger is about 50% pressed in. Are you using a standard DS3 controller?

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
It shouldn't. I use L2/R2 and the two-stage effect is very noticeable. It feels like the main flipper activation point is when the trigger is about 20% pressed in and the upper flipper activation point is when the trigger is about 50% pressed in. Are you using a standard DS3 controller?

Not DualShock/ShockAxis, I have an Original 60GB with SixAxis controllers, and I'm using those.
I usually always press the triggers at least 70%, so that's probably why I never notice it.

--Jim

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
They added the feature for realism so that you could deploy the upper/lower flippers the same as on real machines. It was a bit of short sightedness (pun intended) that they deployed the feature without an option to turn it off.

The reason that it is only on the PS3 is because it has the only analog flipper buttons. The 360 might have them but of course FS hasn't been able to update the 360.

Its a good feature. They just need to build in an option to turn it off.

heheh nice pun!

I agree it's a good feature, and I do realize it's just the PS3 version. That's sort of my point. It's just really odd to me that they would change something that drastically effects the gameplay, and not have an option to "dial it in" or disable it. I play on multiple systems and it is just bizarre that something as basic to pinball as the flipper controls are not standardized across platforms. Especially since it hasn't been there from the start. I thought something was wrong with my dualshock the first few times I observed it. I'm not a ham-handed button masher so I noticed right away.

Between the nudging differences and the dual-stage flippers, going between my android tab and PS3 is almost like playing two totally different games, with the same exact controllers and tables. It's weird.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Not DualShock/ShockAxis, I have an Original 60GB with SixAxis controllers, and I'm using those.
I usually always press the triggers at least 70%, so that's probably why I never notice it.

--Jim

Yeah, that must be it. I dug out one of my old SixAxis and verified its the same just as I would expect. I was really just wondering if you were using something third party since I've heard some don't have analogue buttons for everything like the Sony ones do.

On a side note it was a little sketchy trying to launch the ball with a completely dead right stick lol.

Members online

Members online