Orbals: Farsight's Other Game

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet...

http://orbals.com/

Not sure what to think...

orbal1.jpg

orbal2.jpg

"We're excited to give you a first look at our new action game, Orbals"

"The Orbals need your help! Their world had been disturbed by a strange evil force! It's your mission to control your team of characters around tricky 3D levels by solving puzzles and defeating nasty enemies."

"The first 30 free-to-play levels will be released in 2014"

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
orboy!

heh, highly dobut itll appeal to me, Slong as tpa does t suffer because of the more casual title

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
looks like it plays like Mojo you have to break colord blocks but you can only break blocks of the color you last rolled over, try to finish the level in a set time limit. They just dressed up the ball and made a world instead of a slate. I bought Mojo and Gphof for $10 each for PS2 a long time ago it was ok but I think with motion control would be more fun.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Very cutesy style. Looks like puzzles and stuff so actually has some decent potential. If it is fun enough it could sell very well.

N

netizen

Much like the UI shots, these are from an Alpha build i would hope that the UX for the game changes based on the input they get from beta testing; that hasn't yet begun.

It looks like FS has gone back to their roots in some ways. They had a game that began their pinball journey, and now if they are taking what they have learned in pnball, physics-wise, and are applying it to a different environment. :/

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
If it helps them supplement the costs of TPA for a little longer, I wish them the best of luck in their new endeavor.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Not really sure who they're tying to target with Orbals, but even for mass appeal, those pics are really dated looking. Again, I have no problem with cutesy, but that is NOT cute design- Super Mario 3D world is cute, this looks very homely in comparison. I too wish them the best, and hope that the gameplay is insanely addictive, otherwise there's no way they have a chance at success.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
think of playing it with cellphone accelerometers, like a ball on a surface tilt to move and a button for brakes/camera to look 360° its a fun game and they ramp up the difficulty by making you swap multiple colors to get to the core or even 2 colors multiple times.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
The visuals look very 90s PC game, imo, so I hope they work on that before release. Hopefully it does well for them and doesn't detract from resources used for TPA.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
:confused:

Farsight is really a "surprising" studio...

From this :

*TPA screen*

to that:

*Orbals screen*

o_O'

It's one thing I've always said: pinball is definitely FarSight's forte.

Now, I haven't played Mojo! so I dunno how good it is, but I have played other games they did (Game Party 3 and that PSP Scarface game come to mind) and the quality was... quite varied. Scarface is honestly not a bad game (except on certain parts of the audiovisual presentation. Man, those animations are extremely choppy!) but Game Party 3, hoo boy. It's nearly unplayable on certain minigames due to the motion detection they used. It's a complete crapshoot. Now, I'm not expecting some motion detection like that of Nintendo's games, but come on.

It was amusing unlocking a Sektor outfit and pairing that up with a sombrero, though.

As for Orbals... I'll wait and see. Looks promising.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Well Mojo was decent. I enjoy the marble rolling style games (Marble Madness, Mercury, Hamster Ball, Monkey Ball, etc..), plus this has the Break-Out play thrown in as well.

I don't believe it's an entirely new concept though. I remember ther being a game on the NES with the same ideas, only it was 2D. Obviously hehe. :)

I do think Mojo on the PS2 looks much erred than this. Perhaps this is a smart phone screen shot.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Mojo was awesome, I'm a huge fan of marble-rolling type games as well. The one thing I was disappointed about was the lack of original music, but besides that, it was a hidden gem of a game that deserves more attention.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts