Other hobbies?

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
I do some MMA when I can, although it's been a few months. I also like sim racing, got a motion simulator and 3 projector setup. My newest hobby is my baby girl, born just before Christmas.

I bought an acoustic guitar some years back, fully intending to learn. Tried for a couple of days and boy does it hurt your fingers! Unfortunately I haven't tried it since.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I do some MMA when I can, although it's been a few months. I also like sim racing, got a motion simulator and 3 projector setup. My newest hobby is my baby girl, born just before Christmas.

I bought an acoustic guitar some years back, fully intending to learn. Tried for a couple of days and boy does it hurt your fingers! Unfortunately I haven't tried it since.

That sim racing setup sounds quite fantastic. What is your game of choice?

Congrats on the baby girl!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I am a guitar guy myself an an avid weightlifter. I also am a sneaker head and love traveling.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
I'm a big football (proper football, not American lol) and motorsports fan. I also used to do a bit of simracing (iRacing and rFactor). The discussion about whether TPA physics are better than Zen's elsewhere on this forum made me laugh as this is always a big point in simracing as well :)

Craig Booth

Feb 28, 2012
I'm a big football (proper football, not American lol) and motorsports fan. I also used to do a bit of simracing (iRacing and rFactor). The discussion about whether TPA physics are better than Zen's elsewhere on this forum made me laugh as this is always a big point in simracing as well :)

True, I never get involved in such debates, there's never a conclusion and always ends in misery.

N

Nik Barbour

I'm into emulators (think i've got one for every system I ever owned or wanted when I was a kid) must have about 6k roms just on my phone - never mind my pc.
I was a classic car nut, but had to give up when my missus stopped work when she had my lad who was 3 the day pinball arcade came out on android (that didn't go down well that I wanted to play that day) (congratulations on your little girl Craig!)
So sold my classic and got into cycling to work instead - got my next car picked out though for when she does go back to work! (I like 60's 70's Vauxhall's the most - got my eye on a Firenza)
Apart from that I'm into rock / metal (favourites are Metallica, Therapy?, Wildhearts) - going watching Parkway drive next month in Manchester!
Between work and kids there's not much time for anything else - welcome to the club Craig!

N

Nik Barbour

Jeff - just got your clip to play (YouTube update incident)
Sounds awesome!
How many guitars you got? (everyone I know who's into it is never happy with 1 - mate of mine has 12 now)

Bowflex - where abouts you been travelling to? I love travelling too!

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Sounds awesome!
How many guitars you got? (everyone I know who's into it is never happy with 1 - mate of mine has 12 now)

Thanks man! I currently have 4 guitars....I used to have a few more, but I had to downsize a bit.....although I already have my eye on a couple others I'd like to have.....:)

N

Nik Barbour

Your really good!
That friend of mine I mentioned has just converted one of his bedrooms into his guitar room!
He's got them all around the room on stands now - looks great!
My wife Jane plays accoustic. She's tried to teach me a few things but I couldn't get the chords!
It's a real calling I think to some people!

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I am just finishing a degree in mechanical engineering so that has pretty much been my life for the last four years.

I am a tinker, taking things apart, building new things, etc.

Here is a picture of a joystick I built two summers ago when I had some free time.

Finished_case_with_blog_address.jpg

I actually built a bunch of unfinished cases which I was selling over at www.shoryuken.com, but at the moment they are just collecting dust.

Last edited:
N

Nik Barbour

Hey ND3G!
I'm a Mechanical Engineer (and a tinkerer) as well.
I like your handiwork with the joystick!
Any idea who you want to work for / what area you want to get into when you finish your degree?
I'm a CAD Admin / Development Engineer for a Coal Mining Machinery design company (we make Powered Roof Supports for Longwall mining) - so when not helping people with cad modelling problems, I do a bit of programming - and also we do the Development work (my field is welded structures design).

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Sounds awesome!

I've mostly been exploring the land west of the mississippi. I lived in Detroit and Orlando so I did everything east of the Mississippi in the U.S., Bahamas and Canada. Also been to most of Germany and Denmark. My next few places on tap will be Colorado, Washington and Oregon.

N

Nik Barbour

I've mostly been exploring the land west of the mississippi. I lived in Detroit and Orlando so I did everything east of the Mississippi in the U.S., Bahamas and Canada. Also been to most of Germany and Denmark. My next few places on tap will be Colorado, Washington and Oregon.

Sounds great!
Only been to America once, we did a few days in New York then went down to Florida.
We had a week in Havana a while back, and have been to Goa in India. I like Italy the best, we've been all round the Amalfi coast (Capri / Sorrento), been to Rome a couple of times, had a break in Venice, last time we had a driving holiday around Tuscany.
I'd love to see more of the States, always wanted to drive route 66!

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
My newest hobby is my baby girl, born just before Christmas.

Congrats! My son was born ON Christmas, so I know what you're going through. I work from home, and my productivity has dropped a little bit...

Right now I'm a tad hobby-less, but I'm working on it. I bought a scroll saw just after Christmas, and it plan is to start playing around with it and making some wooden toys/puzzles for the little guy when he's a bit older.

I'm also buying a bunch of equipment to make chocolates at home. Bought a few books, and an infra-red thermometer (the kind with the laser that you point at things for a reading), but I still need to order some nice chocolate molds, pick up a slab of marble, and get some good quality chocolate to use as the base for the chocolates I make. I figure this will be a hobby my friends and family enjoy.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
Another guitar player here haha. I've been playing for 30 years. I do graphic design for a promotional advertising company and gig weekends. I was a guitar instructor for 13 years on the side at a local music store. I liked the video Jeff, thanks for posting. I'm a huge Derek Trucks fan as well as the Allman Bros. I have that same Les Paul Studio but in the dark finish. I have the fat 50's neck on that one, but a thinner 60's profile on my LP Standard. A few American Deluxe Ash Strats and an American Standard Tele. I have a few beaters as well. I either play through a Mesa Rectoverb 50 or a real basic 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe. I love collecting and playing guitars and drawing. I've been really lucky to always have found work doing the same stupid stuff I do in my spare time. Good to meet you guys.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Another guitar player here haha. I've been playing for 30 years. I do graphic design for a promotional advertising company and gig weekends. I was a guitar instructor for 13 years on the side at a local music store. I liked the video Jeff, thanks for posting. I'm a huge Derek Trucks fan as well as the Allman Bros. I have that same Les Paul Studio but in the dark finish. I have the fat 50's neck on that one, but a thinner 60's profile on my LP Standard. A few American Deluxe Ash Strats and an American Standard Tele. I have a few beaters as well. I either play through a Mesa Rectoverb 50 or a real basic 40 watt Fender Blues Deluxe. I love collecting and playing guitars and drawing. I've been really lucky to always have found work doing the same stupid stuff I do in my spare time. Good to meet you guys.

Right on, man. It's always nice to meet a fellow ABB fan. Sounds like you have some really nice gear. I'd love to jam with ya sometime and learn some stuff from you. Doing gigs on the weekend would be my dream.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.