Outlanes - One of the features of the pinball we hated the most :D

amxmodx

Nov 7, 2013
I believed nobody likes the outlanes feature for the pinball game. Cause as long as the ball goes into the outlane = instant drain and the ball is lost.

However, imagine a pinball game without outlanes, pinball wouldn't be that fun and challenging I guess?

joseph5185

Nov 8, 2013
I believed nobody likes the outlanes feature for the pinball game. Cause as long as the ball goes into the outlane = instant drain and the ball is lost.

However, imagine a pinball game without outlanes, pinball wouldn't be that fun and challenging I guess?

Goin' Nuts is such a table that actually doesn't have outlanes, but it's definitely quirky and different in other ways... ;)

Also, this is where skill in nudging/tilting comes into play.. if/when needed.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012

Removing the outlanes would take a lot of fun out of pinball on most of the tables that have them, I think most people agree. What makes you think outlanes is a hated feature? :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
theres a joke to be made...but I better not. :p
I think the problem with the outlanes on TPA is the rubber in that area isnt bouncy and at times seems slippery as the ball shoots through 2 posts with rubbers uncontested but the trade off is easier nudges and overall game play. My main gripe still is the top of the sling shot that react similarly enless the ball is barely moving. On T'eed Off I had a ball hit the left top of the right sling caused it to pop but for some reason the ball went right towards the right outlane. This wasnt an issue with me before owning a real machine and it immediately became appearent and has bugged me since.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
some pins tried to make the outlanes fun. EBD for example had specials in the outlanes that awarded a reply when lit. Others like centaur had gates and posts to give a chance to save an outlane ball. Granted there has to be some sort of a way to end the ball otherwise a game could go on forever barring a SDTM drain or the like.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
some pins tried to make the outlanes fun. EBD for example had specials in the outlanes that awarded a reply when lit. Others like centaur had gates and posts to give a chance to save an outlane ball. Granted there has to be some sort of a way to end the ball otherwise a game could go on forever barring a SDTM drain or the like.
Wizard of Oz has features in both outlanes that let you attempt to save your ball. The left lane has 5 targets and a bumper in it, hitting all 5 activates a long sequence of shots that have to be made to resume normal play, but there is no time limit on doing so and there is some scoring involved (although you can't see your score while you're in "limbo".) The right outlane has 4 rollovers, rolling over all 4 lights one shot (usually the right ramp) for the chance to resume play, but it's under a really strict time limit (about 6 seconds).

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

Well isnt' that cute... BUT ITS WRONG.

I love outlanes. Yep. After playing a table like Goin Nuts, you realize how bad a non-outlane design really is. I'm all about fair outlanes and tight base flippers. What I consider tight would be AFM, and what I would consider too wide is CFTBL. Outlanes are a big part of pinball, it's part of the challenge, without them it just feels, completely wrong.

Without outlanes, you could forget about interesting competition videos. Matches would probably take on average 3 hours instead of 30 minutes. Very bad idea. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say outlanes are bad for pinball. I don't think any true enthusiast would ever hold such an opinion, no offense.

I do appreciate some extra 'help' though. Lawlor's double inlanes, Richies patented Kickback, or something quirky like Centaur's posts, or Fathoms reversed outlanes, make for interesting and fun gameplay.

Last edited:

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Hah, Lawlor's double inlanes are a devil! Making it look like you have a better chance at getting the ball into at least one inlane, when in truth it's probably the exact opposite, for whatever reason. Nothing as infuriating as watching your ball jumping from the innermost inlane, straight to the outlane. But I love it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Hah, Lawlor's double inlanes are a devil! Making it look like you have a better chance at getting the ball into at least one inlane, when in truth it's probably the exact opposite, for whatever reason. Nothing as infuriating as watching your ball jumping from the innermost inlane, straight to the outlane. But I love it.
Indeed. I have countless times watched the ball hopscotch along the dividers to the left outlane on Twilight Zone.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Indeed. I have countless times watched the ball hopscotch along the dividers to the left outlane on Twilight Zone.

That one is really bad, but my biggest gripe is probably Addams Family's inline right below the Thing flipper. Flip away, and be ready for a heavily horizontal pinball completely out of control unless you miss the super-tight swamp shot, or let the ball fall past it, apparently straight down into the inlane. Woe on you if you expect it to actually go there....

Same sort of goes for the right one on Funhouse, but at least on that one, I've learned to slap the table from the right at the right moment, to force the ball into an inlane 90% of the time... (also a great way to get gangways)

Did I mention that I love these? Yeah, it's weird how pinball affection works. :p

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
That one is really bad, but my biggest gripe is probably Addams Family's inline right below the Thing flipper. Flip away, and be ready for a heavily horizontal pinball completely out of control unless you miss the super-tight swamp shot, or let the ball fall past it, apparently straight down into the inlane. Woe on you if you expect it to actually go there....
At least on the ones I've played, if you hold the Thing flipper out and give a small nudge, you can pop it right onto the upraised lower left flipper. It's tougher than it looks though, and don't try it if The Power is on.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Outlanes are one of those things that separate the average players from the great players. You basically have to nudge before it happens, which means you will have to anticipate an outlane drain. Another thing you want to do is keep the ball off the slings if you can, I think half of my outlane drains were because of a sling knocking the ball down an outlane with such velocity that no amount of nudging could save it (though this is rare)

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
i kinda like outlanes. i actually dont feel bad when i drain on the outlanes. because either i tried my best to nudge the ball out of there. or sometimes i nudge the ball into there when it was probably gonna be safe (doh') in that case i can usually laugh it off. the only time i scream aloud is when i get a particular evil center drain that is unfair, im looking at you T2.

i may be wrong, but dungeons and dragons pinball doesn't have outlanes either.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts