PC - Request Pay twice for different platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Some Guy

Jun 18, 2012
Except for the lighting, the flipper physics and handling, the table physics in some small ways, the bumper action on tables that had weak ones like firepower.
Yup other than all that they are exactly the same.
The "post-processing" option to enable lighting was available on my iPad. Anything physics related are either intentional tweaks that will almost certainly be coming to the other platforms, or side-effects of moving to another version of the engine.
It's not like they're rebuilding the tables from the ground-up here, they will have built a "master" table in-house, and are porting it to run on all platforms.
The PC versions of the table should involve the least amount of work, as it has access to the most powerful hardware and shouldn't need any work done reducing the quality to run well.

It shouldn't matter what platform I bought a table on, I should be able to play it anywhere my account is linked to.

Yeah, if your realized just how much work they've put into the PC version specifically, you'd change your tune a bit. If they didn't have the extra revenue from PC exclusive sales, there would be no PC version in the first place.
They should be making revenue from new tables, and new customers from opening up access on a new platform. Reselling us content we have already bought is terrible consumer practices.

Why should this be limited to the PlayStation family of products? You buy it on PS3 and get access on the Vita and PS4. How is that any different?

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The "post-processing" option to enable lighting was available on my iPad. Anything physics related are either intentional tweaks that will almost certainly be coming to the other platforms, or side-effects of moving to another version of the engine.
It's not like they're rebuilding the tables from the ground-up here, they will have built a "master" table in-house, and are porting it to run on all platforms.
The PC versions of the table should involve the least amount of work, as it has access to the most powerful hardware and shouldn't need any work done reducing the quality to run well.

It shouldn't matter what platform I bought a table on, I should be able to play it anywhere my account is linked to.

They've put a ton of work into getting the game to run within the Steam framework, optimizing for all the bazillion different PC hardware setups out there, squashing PC specific bugs, adding custom controls, PC specific menu options, Portrait and Cab options, etc. We're talking months of work here, tons of hours, and programmers don't work for peanuts.

If Farsight adopted your business model, they probably would've stopped making new tables long ago due to lack of revenue, and there would be no PC version in the first place., so this whole conversation would be moot. I think people forget just how small of a company they are, and as it is right now they're not making much of a profit, but only enough to sustain their current model.

They should be making revenue from new tables, and new customers from opening up access on a new platform. Reselling us content we have already bought is terrible consumer practices.

Why should this be limited to the PlayStation family of products? You buy it on PS3 and get access on the Vita and PS4. How is that any different?

It's not limited to Sony. If you buy the tables on iOS, you can install them on other iOS devices you own. Same goes for Android, same goes for PC because each platform has its own marketplace....but if you expect to buy them once and then be able to play them on all the different platforms with different marketplaces, that's just not realistic. As others have said, you can't buy BF4 or COD on the Xbox and expect to get it for free on PC. If the big corporations don't allow that, it's even more absurd to expect a small company like Farsight to do that since they're much more dependent upon their sales.

So with that I'm closing the thread because there's really nothing else that needs to be said here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.