PC controller issue

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey forum.

I sent an email to support, but maybe you guys have run into this issue too. A quick Google search didn't turn up much.

Just got a new wired controller I wanted to try out with TPA. I normally use a Logitech f710 wireless, but it randomly loses signal and then flippers don't flip and balls drain. Usually when you are about to do something epic. Plugged in the controller, booted up the game, no button inputs are recognized. This is a plug and play controller by the way, on a Windows 10 machine.

I booted up various other Steam games including Zen Pinball FX2, and the controller worked flawlessly. Dug out my hated Xbox 360 controller, even that did not work in TPA. Thought maybe it was a DX11 issue, so ran DX9. There the controller could navigate the menu, but once a table started, nothing.

One of my Google searches seamed to suggest TPA data gets permanently saved in an odd place compared to other Steam titles, and they said you need to delete the controller info, plug in your new controller, and then the game will recognize it. Problem is they didn't specify where this folder was. Am I to believe TPA only recognizes one controller? And any you plug in afterwards it ignores?

Just to be clear, this is not a case of me needing a mapping program or 3rd party workaround. It wouldn't recognize an official 360 controller either. Anyone else experience this?

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
Have you already tried mapping the controller in game via the Help & Options > Controls > Controller functions?
Does the controller show you as Player 1? Upper left light around the X on the 360 controller.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Controller of Xbox 360 shows me as Player 2. I'm guessing it has the f710 as Player 1? So how do I switch those? Is there an easy way? Because I don't ALWAYS want to only have to play with one controller over another.

In game mapping did not work, by the way.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
Found this ... hope it helps or at least gets you to someplace that will.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/490123197949057473/

Where are saved controller configurations located?

Steam\userdata\userid\241100\remote\controller_config\appid

Retrieve the Application ID for a Steam Game

This process can also be used for Demos, Media, and other products on Steam:

Login to the Steam account
Go to your Library
Right click the installed game and choose "Create desktop shortcut"
Go to your Desktop and locate the new shortcut
Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties
Look at the target path for the number following steam://rungameid/. This number is the Application ID for the game.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have tried restarting with the controller plugged in, but it did not work. Still registered as Player 2. Unplugging the f710 is not an option I want to entertain, as I had to jump through hoops to even get it to work in the first place (thanks Logitech for your lack of driver support since Win7). The bothersome thing is why this is only a problem with TPA? Or at least compared to the other games I play?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
TPA saves some files in a "My Games" folder. Not THE My Games folder, but a custom one in you c/username/ folder. Maybe look there.
Make sure to backup this folder!!!!!!! It's where the save games are.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Some things I've learned:

If you have the 360 controller plugged in and restart the computer, it will still register as Player 2. This is because wireless apparently always registers first.
If you have the 360 controller plugged in and restart the computer but immediately start pushing buttons on the controller during boot up, you can sneak it in as Player one before the wireless registers.
Once the 360 controller is registered, swapping it for a different wired controller by using the same USB port will let that also be Player one.
If you have the non 360 controller plugged in at computer boot up, no amount of button pushing seems to override the f710's spot as Player one.

Something else I noticed, and this bugs me to no end also, is the vibration settings. Vibration in the f710 has always been less when compared to the 360 controller. This new controller I have, the vibration is almost non existent. Thing is, play Zen pinball with it and it's a good strong vibration equal to that of the 360 controller. So again, what the hell? Is there any way for us to be in control of the base strength of vibration?

I really wish I could just be happy with the 360 controller, but I hate it for pinball. I hate the left analogue stick being up high, as that's not where my thumb rests for nudging. The shape of the 360 makes my fingers want to naturally rest on the triggers, not the shoulder buttons, but triggers are not the right feel for pinball. I want to push buttons. However I also find the 360 shoulder buttons to be somewhat mushy. My preferred controller feel is that of a Dual Shock controller. I'd be fine with the f710 except for it dropping signal. Reason I didn't get the wired f310 is that it doesn't have rumble. So here I have a wired dual shock style controller with rumble, and the one game I most want it for doesn't seem to want to cooperate! Might have to send it back to Amazon and try something else. Dammit.

I hear the PS4 controller is a winner. Is it really plug and play on Windows 10? How's the rumble in TPA on it? I really didn't wanna spend $60 on one, but the $20 option isn't cutting it.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
http://ds4windows.com

If you do go the ps4 remote route ^ I recommend using this. You can completely customize the button mapping, adjust the rumble strength, make the controller light any color or shut it off, also can use the touch pad on the controller for the mouse (comes in very handy). I couldn't go back to standard controller support after spoiling myself with this :)

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
The DS4 controller is not plug and play, you do need a driver. I actually prefer the DS3 (which might be a bit cheaper) that also needs a driver but seems to hold up better, mini usb vs micro usb.

TPA only works with the controller set to player 1.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I've been fine with my X360 wireless controller since:
1. Swapping the flippers to the shoulder buttons. (This causes problems in a couple of recent tables wrt entering initials, but even then there's a workaround to fix that.)
2. Upgrading to Windows 10 - I did get random dropouts with Win 7, but none since upgrading (incidentally, random controller drop-outs are handled fine in DX9 TPA which auto-pauses; but not in the DX11 version). This may have been a driver update though, because I'm pretty sure the random drop-outs had all but gone away a few months prior to upgrading.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
GO for broke and just bite the bullet and get an x-arcade controller and skip the hand held controllers..its so much more fun playing with your hands in a more natural pinbal controll position :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If you do go the ps4 remote route ^ I recommend using this. You can completely customize the button mapping, adjust the rumble strength, make the controller light any color or shut it off, also can use the touch pad on the controller for the mouse (comes in very handy). I couldn't go back to standard controller support after spoiling myself with this :)

Just ordered a PS4 controller from Amazon's used warehouse. $34, figured I'd give it a shot. Read a lot of sites claiming the PS4 controller is probably the best you can use on a PC. Seems that if you are plugged in via USB it is almost good to go?

The DS4 controller is not plug and play, you do need a driver. I actually prefer the DS3 (which might be a bit cheaper) that also needs a driver but seems to hold up better, mini usb vs micro usb.

TPA only works with the controller set to player 1.

Oh great, so I need to buy a micro USB to USB cable then, as I assume the controller doesn't come with the cable. Monoprice here I come. I tried hooking up a PS3 controller, but hated all the mapping you had to do. Sony is apparently very keen on making the PS4 controller plug and play with Windows 10, it just isn't quite there yet.

I hate that TPA is player 1 or nothing. Long standing complaint people have had, having to pass controllers when playing with other people rather than control shifting over to player 2 and their controller. Never understood FarSight's logic regarding that.

I've been fine with my X360 wireless controller since:
1. Swapping the flippers to the shoulder buttons. (This causes problems in a couple of recent tables wrt entering initials, but even then there's a workaround to fix that.)
2. Upgrading to Windows 10 - I did get random dropouts with Win 7, but none since upgrading (incidentally, random controller drop-outs are handled fine in DX9 TPA which auto-pauses; but not in the DX11 version). This may have been a driver update though, because I'm pretty sure the random drop-outs had all but gone away a few months prior to upgrading.

Oh yeah, for sure. When I was using the 360 controller, I immediately swapped to the shoulder buttons. Problem is, thanks to how I play certain tables, the right shoulder button started wearing out! My problem is my grip on the 360 is never comfortable the way I hold a controller. Hence the need for dual shock style.

GO for broke and just bite the bullet and get an x-arcade controller and skip the hand held controllers..its so much more fun playing with your hands in a more natural pinbal controll position :D

Ha! Then of course you also need to play standing. If they had rumble and a tilt bob built in, I think it'd be awfully tempting. Or at least until I saw the price.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.