Pc DX11 compared to PS4

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any differences (good or bad) between dx11 on pc and ps4. Ive been following these threads for sometime in the hope one day cab support will be there and I can build my own cab, but it seems that there are so many issues getting dx11 to work properly when it seems much easier to just buy a ps4 and play it on there. Now I know some will argue for and against this, but cost wise...ps4 seems so much cheaper. As I can gather, to play dx11 you gotta have a good pc setup and Ive seen graphics cards alone cost more than a ps4. A pc setup for a cab would cost tons compared to a games console.

So, I'm just wondering why go through the hassle of setting up the pc etc, when it'll play straight away on a ps4. And I mean 'wondering' in a way that I'm not calling the pc platform...i mean it as a way of finding out if investing in a pc is a way forward for me or not. If there was a portrait mode on ps4 then surely this option would put the ps4 platform ahead of pc (zero setup, less bugs, less crashing, lower costs etc compared to pc). Once again, Im not calling the PC, I'm just trying to get an accurate comparison of the 2, and to see which option is more suitable for a cab (obviously depending on wether ps4 had a portrait mode etc)

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
For a cab, a PC is the only option I would recommend. The consoles also have longstanding bugs and the process to update and patch is terribly cumbersome and slow. The variable sliders for lighting effects along with portrait mode are vital to any cab. The PS4 may not ever have these options made available. Also, the upcoming free camera mode that is currently being tested for PC may not be implemented on the consoles.

A PC that can play PBA at a similar resolution and quality level of a PS4 is not that expensive. The PC can be upgraded to play at much higher resolutions and potentially on multiple displays, while the PS4 is not going to have this ability.

At 1080p, the PS4 and a PC running DX11 will look nearly identical, at least they do to my eyes. Though, my PS4 benchmark is Gorgar. After every PS4 update, I go to Gorgar and check to see if the bumper lights are working like they should, and they never do. Some of the PS4 bugs were corrected on the PC months ago.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Please keep in mind that this is still a beta version. In addition, MOST of the issues reported with performance are from users who are really trying to stretch on PC specs (usually on graphics cards). It should also be noted that you do not need the latest and greatest in graphics cards to run TPA DX11 at max settings. A $100-$150 dollar card will get you there. I am running an AMD Phenom II x4 B50 at 3.2Ghtz, 4 gig of ram, and a ATI 7790 card running at max settings with no issues at 60FPS. These would be considered lower to mid-tier specs by most. I put this machine together about 18 months ago for about $400. I have a similar spec'd machine in my full cab and it can run VP with no issues as well. A PC will just give you more options going forward.

If you are considering a cab build down the road, the PC really is the only way to go.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
PC is the only way to play portrait so for me even without a CAB its a no brainer
Plus your steam purchaced tables will work on both Mac OSX or Windows.. win win.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Day and date release of tables on PC versus waiting a month or two on PS4.
Bugs and other issues can be fixed and implemented without having to go through Sony evaluation.
If mods happen, like the current cab one, they will happen on PC, not PS4.
The ability to also run Visual Pinpall, Zen(?), and eventually Zaccaria tables in cab mode. Not guaranteed for PS4.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Yeah, I see how there are definite advantages now. Whilst there is no portrait mode on console (at least at the moment) I can see now the main advantages would be the versatility of the pc i.e. upgrades, easier updates and bug fixes, no sony to go through. Ive always played games on console rather than PC so its a bit alien to me, but it looks like I'll have to source a pc and start learning how to set it all up etc. Not sure if there are min specs required, or threads related to this on here...if anybody knows if there is a thread and would be so kind to point me in the right direction Id be most grateful. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ive always played games on console rather than PC so its a bit alien to me, but it looks like I'll have to source a pc and start learning how to set it all up etc.. :)

Same boat. For years my buddy has been trying to get me to dump console play in favor of PC. My argument was always the ease of setting up a console, plus as a Playstation fan, the exclusives. As I've gotten older, I found myself playing fewer and fewer exclusives, with the last ones me being a fan of were "Uncharted" and "God of War". I still haven't bothered to pick of GoW: Ascension, and I'm not going to buy a PS4 just for the next Uncharted.

So I downloaded Steam, picked up a few games during a winter sale for next to nothing. Then I discovered the Humble Bundle deals, and downloaded games for nothing. I upgraded the video card, got a better controller, whaddya know, I'm playing more on PC than PS3. Then I started buying on the cheap games that I already had or wanted for the PS3 via Steam. And damn if they didn't look better.

It took probably a year and a half, but I really feel like I'm now a gamer on the PC. The overwhelming urge to get a PS4 has totally subsided. We bought our 9 year old a Wii U for xmas, and I've barely touched it. My friend is now harping on me for not playing with keyboard and mouse, and I don't think that will change any time soon. I enjoy leaning back, using thumbsticks, and feeling rumble. Plus I don't do FPS, so controller is usually just great.

It's for sure a mental shift, going to PC. I'm still fumbling about, have no clue what certain option settings mean, or even if my computer can handle them. Tell you what though, my wallet has loved the game prices, and I don't have that 'next gen' anxiety that goes along with console ownership.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I really don't think you need an amazing setup to do DX11 for TPA. I'm running the game at 60fps on a four year old Radeon HD 6950 in my living room. o_O I mean, sure, you can spend $1000-$2000 on a single graphics card if you WANT to, but you certainly don't NEED to. Any $100-$150 GPU would get you playing TPA just fine.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Day and date release of tables on PC versus waiting a month or two on PS4.
Bugs and other issues can be fixed and implemented without having to go through Sony evaluation.
If mods happen, like the current cab one, they will happen on PC, not PS4.
The ability to also run Visual Pinpall, Zen(?), and eventually Zaccaria tables in cab mode. Not guaranteed for PS4.

+1 on the bugs being more expediently fixed on PC vs. PS4. From what I understand, the PS4's sound, while improved, is still plagued. Also, the PS4 version has no achievement trophies whatsoever beyond season 1.
The possibilities are much more with PC as opposed to any console. I really hope you're right about Zaccaria. It looks like a sweet pinball app I would enjoy if not for the microscopic phone screen.

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I really don't think you need an amazing setup to do DX11 for TPA. I'm running the game at 60fps on a four year old Radeon HD 6950 in my living room. o_O I mean, sure, you can spend $1000-$2000 on a single graphics card if you WANT to, but you certainly don't NEED to. Any $100-$150 GPU would get you playing TPA just fine.

More like $300-$500 should be good for DX11. My new PC I've just purchased in February does run TPA in DX11 at between 50-55 fps on some tables. The rest run at 20-30 fps. CV runs at 1 fph. A $100-$150 gpu will likely get results more like mine.

Still no complaints about DX9 beyond "cheating" being required for most wizard goals in Jack*Bot. Back to that!

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
More like $300-$500 should be good for DX11. My new PC I've just purchased in February does run TPA in DX11 at between 50-55 fps on some tables. The rest run at 20-30 fps. CV runs at 1 fph. A $100-$150 gpu will likely get results more like mine.

Still no complaints about DX9 beyond "cheating" being required for most wizard goals in Jack*Bot. Back to that!

You have a serious problem if you're having those issues. I'm running CV at 60fps, 1080p, on a four year old HD 6950 that only $300 in 2011 and is obviously comparable to a MUCH cheaper card here in 2015... Like, I'm serious, you DON'T have a problem that's solved by spending $500, you have a legit technical issue...

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I've been having various slowdown issues, albeit mainly in menus, with a 970. It's pretty fair to say it's probably just beta tinkering that's causing weirdness on good rigs. When the release happens we'll know what kind of grunt you actually need out of the GPU. I suspect it's not going to be much more than for the DX9 version considering how much more efficient DX11 is.

e: Well, assuming you don't go maxing out all the AA settings etc. That's always going to be pretty heavy.

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
You have a serious problem if you're having those issues. I'm running CV at 60fps, 1080p, on a four year old HD 6950 that only $300 in 2011 and is obviously comparable to a MUCH cheaper card here in 2015... Like, I'm serious, you DON'T have a problem that's solved by spending $500, you have a legit technical issue...

I can sum that technical issue up in 3 letters: A-M-D. I should have stuck with NVidia. Live and learn.....

But that's okay-I'm still rockin' it with DX9. 60 FPS on every table makes it all worthwhile.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Thought it worth the ask...but as a Ps4 user playing TPA, you only get to play in normal 'tv' mode, but in a buildup cab with dx11, the main difference then is the portrait mode and of course the use of buttons etc instead of a joypad. Is it worth the upgrade from console to cabinet...? By this I mean do you really get a feeling of it being almost like real pinball, rather than sat in front of the tele with a controller. I'm hoping of course that it's worthwhile changing to a cab build, but for anyone who has done this, are you glad you did?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thought it worth the ask...but as a Ps4 user playing TPA, you only get to play in normal 'tv' mode, but in a buildup cab with dx11, the main difference then is the portrait mode and of course the use of buttons etc instead of a joypad. Is it worth the upgrade from console to cabinet...? By this I mean do you really get a feeling of it being almost like real pinball, rather than sat in front of the tele with a controller. I'm hoping of course that it's worthwhile changing to a cab build, but for anyone who has done this, are you glad you did?

There's always the halfway point of using a regular PC setup with the monitor rotated into portrait orientation. I'd suggest there are far more PC players who do that (I count myself amongst them), than go all the way and build/buy a cabinet.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
There's always the halfway point of using a regular PC setup with the monitor rotated into portrait orientation. I'd suggest there are far more PC players who do that (I count myself amongst them), than go all the way and build/buy a cabinet.

Do you notice a better feel for the game in portrait mode?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Do you notice a better feel for the game in portrait mode?

Definitely. No table scrolling, better, more natural viewing angles. Of course a lot depends on the quality of the monitor you're using, you use a cheap-ass monitor you're going to get poor results no matter how you view it.

Plus I can use a wireless controller with my PC, so really there's no difference between that and a console. In fact I can have a show or movie on the TV at the same time I'm playing....

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Definitely. No table scrolling, better, more natural viewing angles. Of course a lot depends on the quality of the monitor you're using, you use a cheap-ass monitor you're going to get poor results no matter how you view it.

Plus I can use a wireless controller with my PC, so really there's no difference between that and a console. In fact I can have a show or movie on the TV at the same time I'm playing....

Sounds good. Looks like it's time to get my act together and get step up. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts