PC Ghostbusters update is OUT!

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
downloading now... running now... crossing fingers it's got decent lighting support...

result: Yeah, lighting is much improved over the mobile release. I think the digital sound (music) seems too compressed though but it's nothing game breaking.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
So if I bought the season seven pass which now includes Ghostbusters will I get Ghostbusters on SPA for free now?
Can someone confirm this?

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I believe in the podcast they have stated it's cross-buy but I don't think the Stern Pinball app is updated yet so can't tell you for sure. I had bought season 7 previously so nice to see it included right off the bat.

I like it, a lot. I don't find it super easy too, the side lanes can hurt as they should. Def with DX11, I recommend put the room lighting down, that helps the lighting pop a lot better. For those curious, the skill shot works on the steam version.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
One surprise: There doesn't appear to be a pro version of the table

Yeah there was some fun in the Twitch stream because someone mentioned the Pro version and the guys thought they meant TPA "Pro" version i.e. coin door etc., when was really meant was the Stern Ghostbusters Pro table which is the cheaper version of Premium and has a different layout, regular bumpers, no subway ramp, etc.

However the answer to both questions is still... "No":

- TPA "Pro" version may arrive with limited stuff (table exploration) but no Coin Door (why? emulation issues? Stern won't allow it?).
- Stern Ghostbusters Pro won't ever be made (and frankly I don't care, this is one Stern table where Premium >>> Pro).

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I think all Stern Spike games (which Ghostbusters is) are not running emulation but are scripted (they have a way to convert the source code so it's not fully scripted from scratch) so if they add some kind of pro settings, it will need to be scripted in. I'd have to think that's not where I want them to focus their energies. ;)

I'd still like to see a pro version of the table (ie: pro/premium/LE) but only because that's the model I play in real life at local arcades so love the same version at home. However as they say, this one will do

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The Stern SPIKE and SAM tables are running natively compiled executables/DLLs from Stern's own source code, so there's no actual "emulation" required: they're not emulating the MPU, they're running the code directly. So in that way, yes, they are "scripted", but not "scripted" in the same way that EMs and some early SS tables are.

I guess the "coin door" menus etc. are not part of the main game code and therefore aren't included in the agreement with Stern.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
And I thought they developed the spa app in the first place because it uses so very different techniques and method thingies for physics, emulation and stuff.... Very funny.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
downloading now... running now... crossing fingers it's got decent lighting support...

result: Yeah, lighting is much improved over the mobile release. I think the digital sound (music) seems too compressed though but it's nothing game breaking.

music is definitely an issue crackle crackle crackle all over.

update - Did you know that hitting play from Steam downloads area auto launches the DX9 version without the version/options prompt? yeah, me neither until now.
So... sound/music is worse in DX9 Crackling isn't as bad in DX11 but sound quality/compression still doesn't sound as good as it should.

Last edited:

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
I thought it was just me. The crackling in theaudio is a bit of a bother, but it doesn't ruin it for me. Maybe they can fix this later.

Anyway, the table both looks and plays great, and I'm very pleased with this release right now.

Last edited:

Striker

May 26, 2017
Never played this table before. I loved the original movie, so this one is quite a treat with all the scenes and soundbites from the movie. Having said that, I had no idea what I was doing and played a few games to get a feel for the table.

I got one or two slowdowns the entire time, not counting the times I got an achievement. (The achievement display seems to cause a brief slowdown on most tables.)

Didn't notice much sound cracking, except when it plays the Ray Parker Jr. "Ghostbusters" song during attract mode. Sounds like it did on my old radio when I was a kid.

The rule set seems complex! It seems like there's a hundred different things you can do on this pin.

Magnets . . . why did there have to be magnets under the table? I get it, ghosts messing with your ball and what not. The magnet under the table in TAF was the least popular thing about it; at least in that pin there's a trick to temporarily turn it off.

The left ramp and library hole are ball killers for me right now. Left ramp seems to be that way by design. I'm getting better at saving shots coming back from the library hole.

Pantah010

Jan 31, 2013
I tried to play it today for the 1st time, the slowdowns make it unplayable for me..

This table uses the most cpu I come across of all tables so far in TPA (got all tables).

I hope they can fix or tune this somehow, because its the 1st table I can't play on the cab.:(

(maybe the SPA version will run better)

Looks realy cool though!;)

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Are you guys having any of these problems that the iOS version has?

Shots not being lit during modes
Extreme slowdown/input lag during Video Mode
Slimer moves much too fast
Warbled, crackling audio

iOS also can't choose the skillshot.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Are you guys having any of these problems that the iOS version has?

Shots not being lit during modes
Extreme slowdown/input lag during Video Mode
Slimer moves much too fast
Warbled, crackling audio

iOS also can't choose the skillshot.

Barely flashing, but more colors would be nice.

Modern Stern DMDs suffer the same way.

Slimer speed...maybe not.

Audio needs work too.

Zappa

Nov 15, 2013
The left kickout always spits the ball right between the flippers.

I can't play this game in its present state.

Yet another Fail

Members online

Members online