PC Tourney #6, 2015-12-04: AFM, BRose, CC, CP, CV, MM, NF, T2

Ayrton12

May 31, 2015
Well, I might not be a good enough player for that. My balls just drain from time to time - that sounds odd. Anyway, I think I reached Rule the Universe once, but did not complete it. Most likely not that fast anyway. I can't remember exactly, but do not think I ever solved it. Same with Medieval Madness, started that last mode three times, but unfortunately was never able to complete it, a shame but I admit that I am not a pinball wizard! Staying in silver is the plan, I'd say.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
MM, AFM, and CC are all going to get the best scores when only 1 ball is played the entire 20 minutes, and drained right at the end to collect the bonus.

I got 250M on MM, of which 65M came from bonus on my first ball played, which lasted 13 minutes.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I took some notes during my 43B game, which I was happy about when I got it to start the tourney, but which doesn't look so hot now.

First ten minutes: got 5-way combo almost immediately. In first (regular) multiball, got two SJ's. Started Martian Attack when it was lit.
(when the timer said) 10:00 - I had 9.9B, but had drained badly and was on ball 3 with no EB! I had just started TA, had all the other blue lights, except the last two planets.
7:15 - started RTU, and collected EB (the one from 10 SoL).
5:30 - RTU done, 26.0B.
I got some VLaps, but not many... my largest one was 180M. I didn't drain until literally the last second, so I don't know if my bonus took.
0:00 - 43.1B.

So I'd say... if your game took 17 minutes, that means you drained all your balls I guess? Don't do that... you absolutely need to last the full 20 minutes. You didn't say if you got RTU... you definitely need that too. VLaps are where you get your points in AFM, so after RTU, your goal is to start multiballs and not drain, and collect VLaps, and not drain until seconds left for bonus collecting. I think getting two SJ's (on 1st MB if possible) might be important for some points, but also to make RTU end faster so you can rack up those VLaps.

Afm is up there with my all time favourite tables. Not great at playing them mind, but always trying to improve my scoring. So I gotta ask...what's a vlap :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
So I gotta ask...what's a vlap :)
Oops, sorry about that... a Victory Lap. They're lit after winning RTU and are Big Points. See the instructions for more info ;).

(Sometimes I get in Abbreviation Mania mode...)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Oops, sorry about that... a Victory Lap. They're lit after winning RTU and are Big Points. See the instructions for more info ;).

(Sometimes I get in Abbreviation Mania mode...)

Ha ha...cheers. I'll probably have a challenge getting to rtu but at least now I know that if I do there are the vlaps to look out for. :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Just had a 52.3B game, that's #11 overall. I didn't take notes until I started RTU. I got 2 SJ's on 1st MB, took a few tries to get 5-Way Combo. Most important to me is that I had a nice long TA... I got to 250M or close. I shot the orbits during TA for Bonus X and to park balls. I was worried about time and drained though... you want your long TA to be after RTU of course. I did a couple other things I wanted to do: lost Video Mode ASAP, drained from Strobe MB ASAP, but grabbing Bonus X while balls were draining (not sure if that's better than the 50M's though). I think I lost one ball before starting RTU, but I didn't record my bonus or Bonus X. I don't know if not losing balls is vital for AFM and would like clarification :).

Then notes:

4:52 started RTU.
4:02 RTU done, launched ball. I think this is fast, it felt fast. 43.3B, which I think is very good at this time.
2:07 started TA. I had around four of the 12 shots to start it. This seems slow but it's probably about medium speed for me. I got the 1B Hurry Up, yay!
But my TA was Total Suck. It ended almost as fast as possible. I'm crying and I drained. Total Waste of VLaps.
0:45 start MB, 50B. Get a SJ.
0:00 52.3B.

So I think a good game with the vital exception of my 2nd TA. :) :(

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
One thing to note is that the timer stops during the RTU animation, though I don't know if the timer stops when all the balls are in the trough, or when the animation starts.

If the former, you could get unlucky and have a ball bouncing around the jets for a while. Yeah, I know it's only seconds, but those seconds might be vital.

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
Only two days in ayrton, I think you got plenty of time.

Man gold sure is another level, every decent score is not even top 5!!
I wish I had read the warning about black rose because I just dumped a 500 mil down the drain.....thats the reason I came here to see if it happened to anyone else....

How do you guys aim on t2 gun shot? I freaking hate it! Half the time it doesn't even zoom in and now I have a new angle I am trying to time it on...grrr

I got 330 mil on the Black Rose game I accidentally threw away the first time. And that was just dicking around without knowing the rules. It's a bit funny that after reading the instructions and playing some more games I still haven't been able to beat that score yet. I apparently did something right before. :confused:

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I got 330 mil on the Black Rose game I accidentally threw away the first time. And that was just dicking around without knowing the rules. It's a bit funny that after reading the instructions and playing some more games I still haven't been able to beat that score yet. I apparently did something right before. :confused:

You sunk ships maybe? That's the only thing to do. Start multiball, collect letters (ramps), sink ships.

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
You sunk ships maybe? That's the only thing to do. Start multiball, collect letters (ramps), sink ships.

Yeah, I pretty much just do that and Double Broadside since that gives decent points. And I use the cannon whenever the door is open but maybe that's not necessary. I'm apparently just worse at it when I'm doing it on purpose. I'll get better with some practice.

Gatchan77

Dec 2, 2014
Second place for the moment at the silver tournament on PSN (PS3)

I can do better on Black Rose but i have a problem to submit my score sometimes if i don't wait for the 20 min limit (so i didn't play my last ball ...)

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
One thing to note is that the timer stops during the RTU animation, though I don't know if the timer stops when all the balls are in the trough, or when the animation starts.
Pretty sure it's the former. I remember at least one table in a tourney that would sometimes pause the timer during a bonus count and sometimes not, and it seemed to match whether there was a ball locked on the table. And I'm pretty sure Farsight wouldn't bother coding timer pauses for each animation per game.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I remember at least one table in a tourney that would sometimes pause the timer during a bonus count and sometimes not, and it seemed to match whether there was a ball locked on the table.
Fwiw, I don't know of any exceptions to this rule. Anyone?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Pretty sure it's the former. I remember at least one table in a tourney that would sometimes pause the timer during a bonus count and sometimes not, and it seemed to match whether there was a ball locked on the table. And I'm pretty sure Farsight wouldn't bother coding timer pauses for each animation per game.

Not quite coincidentally, No Fear will only stop the timer during bonus countdown if you drain after Meet Your Maker without first starting a new challenge or locking a ball. It keeps the fourth ball in a trough under the playfield, much like STTNG keeps a couple of balls locked under the playfield, to speed up ball delivery after a shot to the skull or the lock. I know this was an innovation introduced for STTNG, pretty sure Junk Yard does it too for balls fed from the toilet.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Had a cool thing happen, dirty pool that gave me Mars before I even started it. The rest of that game was crap. How I got my 42b was starting multiball right after RTU, and then TA right after that. It didn't have that much to to with bonus. I almost started RTU twice, all I needed was super jackpot. Has anyone done that yet in 20min? Also I'm curious to see the fastest anyone's completed RTU. I completed it with 6:38 left. Took a pic of it, but the rest of that game was crap.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Had a cool thing happen, dirty pool that gave me Mars before I even started it. The rest of that game was crap. How I got my 42b was starting multiball right after RTU, and then TA right after that. It didn't have that much to to with bonus. I almost started RTU twice, all I needed was super jackpot. Has anyone done that yet in 20min? Also I'm curious to see the fastest anyone's completed RTU. I completed it with 6:38 left. Took a pic of it, but the rest of that game was crap.

I completed 2 RtU a couple times, unlucky with the victory laps ball so far though. For skill shot I try to take the right loop, then drain then take the left loop next skill shot, so then you won't get stuck in bumpers every shot up the loops and the 5way combo is much easier and total annihilation comes pretty fast

invitro

May 4, 2012
For skill shot I try to take the right loop, then drain then take the left loop next skill shot, so then you won't get stuck in bumpers every shot up the loops and the 5way combo is much easier and total annihilation comes pretty fast
Very interesting stuff, thanks.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Well, 3.5B on Champion Pub... :rolleyes:. Pretty sure we have a hacked leaderboard in PC gold now. How did PAFSUX even end up in gold? Wasn't he removed earlier already?

invitro

May 4, 2012
How did PAFSUX even end up in gold? Wasn't he removed earlier already?
The only thing he was removed from is the top ten in that one newsletter. He's still listed as #1 in the Aug 1 tournament, PC Silver, and #2 in the Jun 29 tournament, PC Bronze, on the website.

EDIT: Oops, he appears to be deleted from the current tournament on the website. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.