PC Tourney #6, 2015-12-04: AFM, BRose, CC, CP, CV, MM, NF, T2

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
I was a little behind you (26th in Silver) but tourneys seem to bring out the best in my play, once again I beat my previous best scores on 5 of the tables, doubling it on MM and CC and tripling it on BR... was in the top 10 for CV with a day to go but missed the end so not sure if it stood up. AFM and T2 let me down, but I was expecting another chance to improve before the end.

geohoo

May 31, 2013
Congratulations to Toolinit, Crooker and the other players who came in ahead of me in the Gold division. I had a personal best final ranking in a tournament this time of 7th and it might be the first time I've had a 1st place for a table (Black Rose), and boy, did I try hard to do even better. Did not improve on a single game the last three days which was very frustrating given that I played quite a lot. (Sometimes it seems the machines just are not going to let me improve after a good game.) I love the tournaments. Some of my favorite games I do the worse on though. Like I didn't do well on Medieval Madness. I can usually hold my own on that game, but not in the 20 minute time limit. Same with Cactus Cannon. My game play is more methodical on those games and it takes me time to get the good scores.

JustinCamp

Sep 23, 2015
For those who seem to be against the 20 minute time limit, what is your reasoning?
The second I saw the limit I saw many advantages to the decision such as:
-Keep everyone within the same general scoring ability (not taking advantage of some multiball while cradling for 6 hours)
-Makes the tourney more possible for less time available people
-Somewhat represents a more realistic tourney atmosphere (no one is gonna stand around for hours while you play one game)

What are the drawbacks you see?

invitro

May 4, 2012
What are the drawbacks you see?
There is a lot of debate on this in the 1st PC tourney thread, IIRC.

I love the 20 minute time limit, myself. I think some people favor a format of no extra balls, and no time limit. I don't know if I'd prefer that, and I doubt it's possible for Farsight right now, in which case the question would be moot, but I'd be game to try it once.

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
That would probably work for Gold, but I'm in the top third on Silver most months and I can rarely make a game last 20 minutes *with* extra balls, so this would just make tourney games even shorter for most of us...

JustinCamp

Sep 23, 2015
Oh yeah wasn't thinking about extra balls. I would vote for the no extra ball if they are ever able to implement that....it would be like real tourney practice....

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
I like the time limit since I can compete without setting aside hours for a marathon game. Plus you may need to learn new table strats you weren't using without the time limit, which makes things more interesting.

geohoo

May 31, 2013
My last post did indeed seem to indicate I'm against 20 minute limit tournaments. I'm not. I really like having the time limit of 20 minutes. I was just making a point that I was having trouble changing my game play for games that I know well, both from the arcade and in Pinball Arcade, on some games where I already have a game plan that doesn't work with a time limit.

geohoo
(george)

invitro

May 4, 2012
Figuring out a good strategy for the time limit is almost my favorite part of the tourneys.

My favorite part is the piles and piles of numeric data, of course. :)

Ayrton12

May 31, 2015
That would probably work for Gold, but I'm in the top third on Silver most months and I can rarely make a game last 20 minutes *with* extra balls, so this would just make tourney games even shorter for most of us...

I know what you mean. I'm happy when I get close to 20 minutes. Extra Balls are VITAL! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.