PC Version - Mono or Stereo?

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Does the Steam PC version have Stereo on any of the tables? Or are all tables so far all Mono? The answer will help me determine what I do about speakers in my new setup.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Don't know, but I would put in at least 2 speakers anyway :)
I went for 5.1.
Fx2 makes good use of this and it's pretty future proof...

pyroxian

May 25, 2012
The mechanical effects are stereo though?

Shame you can't channel mechanical to different sound outputs (i.e. FX on 5.1 speakers in the cab body, powered by a soundblaster card, and game output through the motherboards onboard sound card.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The ym2151 chip in fact outputs stereo, when paired with a stereo DAC.

Since the speakers were so far away from you on a pinball game, the stereo effect is minimal, so it was used very subtly for most games.

that said, there are a few pinball games where it matters. Twilight zone, for example outputs the jackpot sound to both channels differently. this is why it sounds totally WRONG in tpa. because both channels were NOT recorded.

honestly, FS. just go into the sound test in pinmame with a high sampling rate for output and rerecord that sound effect.

Last edited:

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
The chip may have had a stereo option but no Williams table ever had stereo sound. With DCS it was MONO with a crossover to simulate stereo.

Only Data East, later Sega, now Stern have made stereo releases.

Mechanical sounds may have "seemed" stereo from a players perspective, and could be simulated in stereo if they were recorded in binaural sound, but who's going to spend the time/money to do this sampling/recording?

pyroxian

May 25, 2012
Mechanical sounds may have "seemed" stereo from a players perspective, and could be simulated in stereo if they were recorded in binaural sound, but who's going to spend the time/money to do this sampling/recording?

recording them in binaural would be a tad overkill. More just play the mono effect at the correct pan for where it would be on the table.

With embedded cabinet 5.1 you could pan it all around the table, so pop-bumpers at the top would play from the back of the cab, and the slingshots / flippers would play from the front.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.