Pins in San Francisco

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm heading off to San Francisco for the weekend (well, as long as the forecast snow doesn't mean my flight gets canceled).

Staying downtown (Union Sq) and looking for the possibility of pins to play. I know the Metreon mall next to my hotel has some modern Sterns, according to Pinside, but if I wanted something a bit more interesting, any pointers?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Head over to Alameda to the Pacific Pinball Museum. There's a bus that will take you right to the doorstep. It has a bucket-load of Woodies to DMDs, for the princely sum of about $15 to enter for the whole day (and you can come and go).

Hot tip: go there after the one day they close each week. The pins will be in tip-top condition.

Free Gold Watch, which is a short Muni subterranean tram ride away from Union Square, has about 40 pins. Games are quarter guzzlers, starting at a flat 50c/play. If they still have the WoZ LE there, that was $1 a play or $2 for three. Worth. Every. Cent.

For an overview of both, check out my Google+ photo stream, which has a stack of photos from my trip back in April 2014.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks. Free Gold Watch looks good (Alameda's a bit far given we've really only got Friday to "do stuff"), now I just got to persuade my better half to let me go for an afternoon. If I make it, I'll try to come up with a report.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks. Free Gold Watch looks good (Alameda's a bit far given we've really only got Friday to "do stuff"), now I just got to persuade my better half to let me go for an afternoon. If I make it, I'll try to come up with a report.
It's honestly not that far at all. The bus goes through the tunnel so it's super quick. The bus station is right down near the wharf precinct. Just use google maps to plot your course, or catch a Uber directly (no more than 20 mins over there via Uber).

I would take the time to head over to Alameda. It's a staggering array of pinnies that eclipses FGW. FGW has some nicely modded games though.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117309635670089895654/albums/6005248556098941473 is the FGW Album.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117309635670089895654/albums/6101054435548718705 is 65 of the 150 pins at PPM

PrivateEyeball

Mar 1, 2015
It's honestly not that far at all. The bus goes through the tunnel so it's super quick. The bus station is right down near the wharf precinct. Just use google maps to plot your course, or catch a Uber directly (no more than 20 mins over there via Uber).

I haven't been to either FGW or PPM, but I do live in San Francisco. The trips via bus should be about the same. PPM might even be quicker, if you show up when the bus is leaving the terminal. That said, it looks like FGW is right next to Golden Gate Park. Oddly enough, I still haven't been there (after nearly three years here), but I hear the park is lovely...in most areas. There are supposedly bison out there somewhere.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts