Pintastic New England 2017

Jay

May 19, 2012
I went to Pintastic on Friday. It had more tables than ever, and was packed with people. Interestingly, though, there weren't as many vendors. I almost got a Barry Oursler autograph; it was announced he was signing, but I couldn't find his table (even after asking some of the workers).

At any rate, there were quite a few rarities including an OXO, which I had always wanted to play. There were also, to my surprise, two Zaccaria tables! One was Time Machine which unfortunately ran into some technical problems and wasn't running. But it looked gorgeous. Note that in this shot, the backglass hadn't been attached. It turns out, Zaccaria lights their backglasses with a neon strip.

time-machine.jpg

The other Zaccaria was Devil Riders, which was working though the flippers and bumpers were a bit weak:

devil-riders.jpg

There was also a curious table with no manufacturer attributed. It looked homemade and had a full LED screen backglass. It was Van Halen. But the playfield was nearly identical to the bonus table in the digital Zaccaria collection, Fire Fighter:

van-halen.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
That Van Halen Panama pin looks suspiciously like Dolly Parton. Hmmm?

Did they have the new Stern Star Wars pin there?

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
They did have the new Star Wars there, as well as Dialed In. Got to try out both tonight,and both were fun to play. Also got to meet Todd Tuckey - from the TNT Amusements YT videos. He put on a great seminar. Hoping to interview him tomorrow.

I'll be there tomorrow,if anyone from here is going. Just look for the big guy with the big camera.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Just look for the big guy with the big camera.

I saw you there, but didn't realize who you were! I would have said hi.

That Van Halen table absolutely is the Dolly Parton playfield (which I've never seen before). And that's what the Magic Pixel table must be based on as well.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
They did have the new Star Wars there, as well as Dialed In. Got to try out both tonight,and both were fun to play. Also got to meet Todd Tuckey - from the TNT Amusements YT videos. He put on a great seminar. Hoping to interview him tomorrow.

I'll be there tomorrow,if anyone from here is going. Just look for the big guy with the big camera.

How good is that Star Wars light show in person? Looked great in the videos for a pro model. What did you think of the mode selection choices? Was the game a smooth shooter like you'd expect from Steve Ritchie?

Was there a Houdini or Total Nuclear Annihilation there? If so, did you get to play them?

Sounds like a great time.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
How good is that Star Wars light show in person? Looked great in the videos for a pro model. What did you think of the mode selection choices? Was the game a smooth shooter like you'd expect from Steve Ritchie?

Was there a Houdini or Total Nuclear Annihilation there? If so, did you get to play them?

Sounds like a great time.

No to either Houdini or Total Nuclear Annihilation. There were some nice surprises,though. I did get to play,in addition to Stern's Star Wars - the redo of Attack From Mars (OMG it was awesome) a custom Ash vs Evil Dead (think it is a Diner redone over),and a pristine Bally Strikes & Spares.

In addition, I got to play these real TPA tables for the first time - Firepower II (well,it will be), Bone Busters,and finally got to see and play a working Black Hole. :)

I could see Jersey Jack's newest table, Dialed In,becoming a favorite of mine. What a nice looking table! I liked how it played too (though I am a unabashed Pat Lawlor fan) with plenty of homages to Lawlor's other tables.

Speaking of Jersey Jack Guarnieri, I can't speak highly enough of him. He was gracious enough to give me an interview,just like he has done the previous years at Pintastic. What a class act - talking to the attendees,engaging with people, and just an all around nice guy. If you ever get the chance to talk to him,you will see what I mean.

In the same vein, Todd Tuckey (he of the TNT amusements YT videos) is just like he is in his videos IRL. He graciously gave me a interview where he was funny,engaging, and just a pleasure to chat with. He did shoot some footage at Pintastic for his YT channel,and I'm looking forward to that.

Pintastic is a really fun event that is family friendly. If you get the chance to go next year (and I don't have any inside info,but I'd be shocked if there isn't one) you should go.

I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked to,but I had a blast nonetheless. Thanks to Gabe,Gerald & the rest of the Pintastic staff for putting together a great con.

PS - if any of you are interested, I'll let you know when my Pintastic stuff is up on my shows YT channel,so you can see what I did.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
What is your YouTube channel, I will subscribe so I don't miss it.

Dialed In is a loaded pin. I still don't love the name or the art with the phone guy, but it is super fun to play. You can really see where the money goes on a JJP pin. There are neat little things everywhere you look. Agree with you about Lawler, nice to see another of his designs out. It's new, but still has a familiar feel (like most of his work). He's one of the best for sure.

Jay

May 19, 2012
finally got to see and play a working Black Hole.

That was a blast! I played one decades ago, but it was great to see one in such good condition. It was a lot larger than I remember. Maybe I've shrunk....

(though I am a unabashed Pat Lawlor fan) with plenty of homages to Lawlor's other tables.

Same here. Lawlor's designs remind me of the Beatles in their later days when they often referenced themselves in their music. A casual player probably wouldn't notice the in-jokes.

Looking forward to your videos!

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012

If you look up Sci-Fi Journal on YouTube,that is it.

Or,you can click here.

Its not much,but my friends & I have been covering sci-fi,fantasy, & horror stuff for public access in Rhode Island. We still have fun doing it,and sometimes I get the chance to cover really cool events like Pintastic.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
If you look up Sci-Fi Journal on YouTube,that is it.

Or,you can click here.

Its not much,but my friends & I have been covering sci-fi,fantasy, & horror stuff for public access in Rhode Island. We still have fun doing it,and sometimes I get the chance to cover really cool events like Pintastic.

I love that kind of stuff. I will check it out for sure. Thanks NW

Watched the Jan 2017 Journal ep. Who knew Rhode Island had a comi-con? The movies section was good as well. Nice to see any form of Ultraman get a mention. I grew up watching Ultraman when I was a kid (have the dvds too).

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014

Dialed In is a loaded pin. I still don't love the name or the art with the phone guy, but it is super fun to play. You can really see where the money goes on a JJP pin. There are neat little things everywhere you look. Agree with you about Lawler, nice to see another of his designs out. It's new, but still has a familiar feel (like most of his work). He's one of the best for sure.

Dialed in was easily the most popular table there. On par with Star Wars. It's the only pin there I didn't get to play. Looks awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.