Pintastic New England - The regions first pinball expo!

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
[MENTION=2355]Captain B. Zarre[/MENTION]: How was the pingolf? Sounds like a cool idea for a tournament. What kind of goals were set for the tables, is it only scores or to reach a certain mode? Were you happy with your games?

It's time to talk, finally. Sorry I haven't discussed the tourney for a while, but here we go!

The tournament was score based and contained 9 tables, each of which I'll describe:

- High Speed: I'm amazing at this table on Pinball Arcade but not at all in real life. Target score was 550k and I barely got up there at all.
- Rack 'em Up: I've never played this Gottlieb table before so I wasn't surprised when I didn't get to the target score of 300k at all. Wouldn't play it on location, lots of unforgiving drains.
- Iron Man: My first good table of the tourney. Target score was 20m and I reached it in 2 balls. It's all about stacking War Machine and Whiplash! :)
- Algar: I saw the PAPA gameplay video for this one but did terrible at it when I actually played it. Target score was 550k and I didn't get there at all.
- Genesis: Failed at this table too, hadn't seen gameplay of it before and didn't know what to do. Backglass is ugly, I do not know who the hell thought it was a good idea. Target score was 1m.
- Indianapolis 500: I did too good at this table for not ever having played it! Got to the target score of 150m in one ball thanks to a ton of Loop-Turbo Combos and an awesome round of Turbo Multiball, with 5 Jackpots scored! :)
- Bobby Orr's Power Play: Did OK at this one, but wouldn't play it again. Center target is useful but causes a lot of air balls that scare the crap out of everyone. Target score was 400k
- Transformers: I also did good on this table, as I reached the target score of 28m in two balls. Activated Mudflap & Skids / Optimus Prime Multiball stack for big points! :)
- Space Shuttle: Didn't do too well. Target score was 500k and I just barely got to it on my 3rd ball. Multiball really makes everything else feel unbalanced.

Also... did I forget to tell you guys I WAS ABLE TO MEET DENNIS NORDMAN HIMSELF AT THE SHOW??? :)
-

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the reports, I wish there were pinball expos like that around here :)

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
This was really a great show. I'll be back every year they do it. It had basically everything that Allentown does plus the late night after-party in the freeplay room.

The show was awesome. My only regrets are - being so busy that I could only catch a couple of the seminars online and not in person,and not being able to play either the new Kiss table or Flight 2000.

You should have joined the tournament to play Kiss. I played my first game ever on it in my qualifying ticket and my second in the playoffs. Then I got to play it about another 10 times after the tournament was over. I think its pretty good but not quite as good as AC/DC and Metallica. After the tournament ended those games were available for freeplay but it didn't seem like many people knew it because just a handful of people that had been in the tournament were playing them.

I should have remembered to post here before going so I could have met you guys.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Just giving everyone a heads-up that my 1st two interviews from Pintastic are now online at my shows YouTube channel.

Here is the link if interested - or you can look up Sci-Fi Journal on YouTube and see it that way. The two interviews there are with "Jersey" Jack Guarnieri from Jersey Jack Pinball & Andrew Heighway from Heighway Pinball.

I shot so much footage that my club & I have decided to make a special Pintastic edition of SFJ in addition to having some stuff shown on my "Game Over" segement. When other stuff is ready I'll update here. If you do take the time to check out the interviews,please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Nice job with the interviews! I wish I had taken more time to play Full Throttle. The machine was mobbed every time I went there. I'm really glad that Jersey Jack and Heighway have licensees coming to them; that shows the entertainment industry at large is seeing pinball as a viable promotional tool. Now it's just a matter of convincing arcade owners of the same thing!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.