Platform differences and decision

waspinat0r

Mar 19, 2015
I'm kind of torn between buying on the PC (somewhat cheaper, quicker to get tables) and XBONE (Couch play), so I was hoping some of you guys/gals that may have tables on both platforms might be able to provide me any information on more differences between the two so maybe my decision could sway a certain way? I don't wanna miss out on the best experience I can get. Thanks!

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
IMO the best way to play TPA is on console.
But you'll get tables first on PC.
It really matters with TPA.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Well, you can be sure about PC releases. Always on time.
Not sure to really explain the "IT" but I'll say there's often unexpected extra delays.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I have it on pc, android and ps4/ps3. My preference is portrait mode which is hands down the best so far. If you go with xbox one just make sure your tv us big enough. I can never get a view i'm comfortable with.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just hook your PC up to your TV and plug in a controler...BAM! the couch experience :D

This is exactly what I did. It helps that I have all my movies and TV shows on my PC too.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Just hook your PC up to your TV and plug in a controler...BAM! the couch experience :D

This is exactly what I did. It helps that I have all my movies and TV shows on my PC too.

I really think that's an ideal solution if you can do that. And the DX11 update will make it even better.

waspinat0r

Mar 19, 2015
Well, I can hook my PC up to my TV for sure, but no audio, sadly. I only use PC headset and I'm not sure what I'd need to do to get my PC audio to come through my TV.

Edit: Apparently audio can go through HDMI...Eureka!

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Playing with a controller is the make or break for me. Both touch screen and keyboard controls just don't feel right. I love the way that when you hold a controller, the fingers you use for the triggers are the same you'd use for the flipper buttons on the real machine. Just feel more natural! touch screen is thumbs, keyboard doesn't feel right.

Of course if you have a PC with a controller, that's fine too!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
If anything, go with PC for content stability. Meaning, when consoles are done with their 5 to 10 year lifespan, you either keep your aging obsolete console and hope FarSight will continue supporting it, or you get the new console and buy the tables all over again.

Or go with PC and Steam. Where I know that whenever I get a new PC, I can just log in to my steam account and redownload everything easily and free of charge.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Playing on a PC with a widescreen monitor rotated to portrait and a controller is my vote!

I have a 24" monitor (this one with all-important 1ms latency - minimizes flipper delay), and it looks great. I imagine with a 27" monitor it would be even better.

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to try to rotate a 50"+ TV to portrait, even if it were supported by the console versions!

waspinat0r

Mar 19, 2015
We did, I remember. I'm actually looking to start streaming Pinball exclusively on my channel as well, it's part of why I'm trying to get info on platform differences. :)

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I have a 24" monitor (this one with all-important 1ms latency - minimizes flipper delay)

This is very important, you need a display with minimum lag to play TPA at its best. I'm not quite sure if every millisecond counts, but at least every frame (17 ms) certainly does. I have almost that same monitor except that I'm a snob for 16:10 1920x1200 resolution. Most TVs aren't designed for low gaming lag, which is another point for the PC as the platform of choice.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
We did, I remember. I'm actually looking to start streaming Pinball exclusively on my channel as well, it's part of why I'm trying to get info on platform differences. :)

Give up on the xbone then. Twitch streaming has been broken since TPA was released.

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
Most TVs aren't designed for low gaming lag, which is another point for the PC as the platform of choice.

I like to play it on console, but using my PC monitor. It seems like it gives me the best of both worlds. It sucks you can't get analog sound output from a PS4 console though, unlike the PS3. Having to use the analog out on the controller is a bit of a drag, but not a game breaker for me.

SickBoy

Mar 19, 2015
It's all about what you find most important in your pinballing habit.

- Do you want to play portrait? It's probably easier on PC than console.
- Do you have eyesight issues or just generally like to be closer to the table? PC wins unless you're sitting really close to your TV.
- Do you want to use a controller? PC and console both win here, but with PC you have the extra requirement of having a compatible controller, driver, etc.
- Do you want tables ASAP? As others have mentioned, PC gets them first.
- Do you want to use headphones? PC tends to be best for this, though obviously if you already have the hardware for console headphones you're at a draw.
- Is your PC equal or higher to the specs of the console you're planning to play on? Performance is obviously a top priority for pinball, so if you're lacking in the hardware department it may be best to go with console unless you plan to upgrade in the near future.

And most importantly:
- Do you find yourself more comfortable (in general, as well as less carpal-tunnel-inducing/etc.) on the couch or in your desk chair?
- What do you *prefer* to game on, regardless of reasons to go with the opposite?

Weigh it all, consider the pros and cons, and go with your gut. Only you can know which version is right for you.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
If anything, go with PC for content stability. Meaning, when consoles are done with their 5 to 10 year lifespan, you either keep your aging obsolete console and hope FarSight will continue supporting it, or you get the new console and buy the tables all over again.

Or go with PC and Steam. Where I know that whenever I get a new PC, I can just log in to my steam account and redownload everything easily and free of charge.

But, as I've learned, you need to be careful when transferring your saves. Almost lost all of my wizard goals and scores when I got my new PC. I was able to recover all but the last SST goals I had reached when I transferred the saves from my laptop to the new PC via thumbdrive.

It can be tricky to transfer your saves, but can be done. And once it is, it's a great thing. That would've sucked to have to go through the rigamarole of getting all the wizard goals (especially for the Gottlieb tables) all over again.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
But, as I've learned, you need to be careful when transferring your saves. Almost lost all of my wizard goals and scores when I got my new PC. I was able to recover all but the last SST goals I had reached when I transferred the saves from my laptop to the new PC via thumbdrive.

It can be tricky to transfer your saves, but can be done. And once it is, it's a great thing. That would've sucked to have to go through the rigamarole of getting all the wizard goals (especially for the Gottlieb tables) all over again.

I'm more concerned with keeping my table collection. Goals and scores are the last thing I care about losing. They're also fun to reattain if I have to.

Members online

Members online