Playfield art for the hobbit released

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Yeah. I'm really excited about the new art and all the new plastics. It also got better sculpts for the orc and goblin pop-up bash targets and a new shot into the pops. And according to Jacks email quite a few more things still to be added and finalized.
I can't wait!
-------------
great art eh :cool:. "A few more things to be added." I like that.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Table is looking much better, but as discussed to death on pinside, the dragon head (or is it a snake?) just looks lame.

karl

May 10, 2012
naah! The dragon looks just fine to me (the red one that is)

It will also have teeth, a tongue and led in the eyes.

The common norm on pinside is that for 8000K the dragon better be out of this world. For me it is the opposite. I would rather they use the money on other stuff. If it is mainly expensive Hobbit toys you want, why not buy something from WETA instead?

With that said, I think this would have made a great topper :cool: https://www.wetanz.com/smaug-the-terrible/

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
naah! The dragon looks just fine to me (the red one that is)

It will also have teeth, a tongue and led in the eyes.

The common norm on pinside is that for 8000K the dragon better be out of this world. For me it is the opposite. I would rather they use the money on other stuff. If it is mainly expensive Hobbit toys you want, why not buy something from WETA instead?

With that said, I think this would have made a great topper :cool: https://www.wetanz.com/smaug-the-terrible/

I agree. I Don't think the dragon looks bad at all. It improved quite a bit over the past month and the next version will be toothed. The sculptor mentioned the new one having piles of gold up the side and back so it's possible it will now turn around from a pile of gold. We'll see. Every time they show it it gets better.

I'm looking forward to seeing those columns around Smaug after they are painted green, and the archway door and portcullis for the ramps. The additional beast GI and spots. Final book frame and mount etc... There's a lot still to see as far as the entire package goes.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
New playfield art on the machine. Looking good and we still haven't been shown how the left trail works. The lance shot. The fire button. the 3-way subway system, finished dwarfy architecture, finalized LCD framework/placement, new sling weapon designs etc...

331545.jpg

331543.jpg

331546.jpg

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It's a more wide-open playfield than WOZ, but looks an awful lot like an SS from the early 80's. Two upkickers in prominent positions? Not sure if I'd be happy if I pre-ordered (though getting this for $6500 ain't too shabby).

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I like the art a whole lot better than the first shots they released. Boy, that's a lot of inserts. I like a more open layout like this. Can't wait to play it.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
New art looks 100% better, much more dramatic. Still don't like the Smaug head that much, an upper playfield would have been more compelling. Regardless, it's fascinating following the evolving development of this table.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
New playfield art on the machine. Looking good and we still haven't been shown how the left trail works. The lance shot. The fire button. the 3-way subway system, finished dwarfy architecture, finalized LCD framework/placement, new sling weapon designs etc...

That's much better!

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
It's a more wide-open playfield than WOZ, but looks an awful lot like an SS from the early 80's. Two upkickers in prominent positions? Not sure if I'd be happy if I pre-ordered (though getting this for $6500 ain't too shabby).

Pardon my ignorance...SS? I know once you tell me I'm gonna smack myself in the forehead because I knew it but please. Enlighten me. ;)

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Pardon my ignorance...SS? I know once you tell me I'm gonna smack myself in the forehead because I knew it but please. Enlighten me. ;)

Solid State.

[video=youtube;Y25V6_Jj70s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y25V6_Jj70s[/video]

Last edited:

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Like I said...gonna smack myself in the forehead. For some reason I thought you were referencing a specific table.

Whack..,.

WHACK...,,,

Ouch

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Like I said...gonna smack myself in the forehead. For some reason I thought you were referencing a specific table.

Whack..,.

WHACK...,,,

Ouch

You know you are old when you’re told to slow down by your doctor and not the police.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
Solid State.

[video=youtube;Y25V6_Jj70s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y25V6_Jj70s[/video]

Cool, thanks for that. Those are two fine fellows in the UK scene, first Craig Pullen and then Neil Fellender. And no, they're not father and son!

Craig (sometimes uses Roadshow16 as a handle) is the current UK no 2 (behind Martin Ayub of Pinball News, who's been no 1 since records began over 10 years ago), he's a lovely bloke, complete salt of the earth and very humble despite his impressive abilities - he's a teacher, and has several of his machines at his school for the kids to play on.

Neil (aka Fishbulb) is old school, he's been around forever and is an engineer by trade I think, fixing hospital MRI machines and whatnot. He can fix pretty much anything.

I knew about Craig's recent tutorial / intro to pinball videos, but hadn't seen this one before so thank you. Gonna go check out that website now to see what else I've missed.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Final Smaug with horns and teeth. Dwarfy architecture finally shown with its green paintjob and finer detail.
Looking Far, far better.
357903-i.jpg

357904.jpg

357905-i.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.