Positional independent DMD window now a reality.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
NoEx has made some more progress on the camera mod to allow a floating dmd independent of the play field..and resizable.
Lots of work still to do..but for those of you using a 3screen setup ...or heck a 1 screen setup where you always wanted the dmd at the bottom of the screen like PinballFx2 allows.
This is gonna be awesome.
Backglass artwork creation will be easier too (thank the GODS hehe)

Heres a sneak Peak Video

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Man... NoEx seriously rocks! :cool:

That is going to make a lot of people very happy. Thanks for the video Robert.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
NoEx has made some more progress on the camera mod to allow a floating dmd independent of the play field..and resizable.
Lots of work still to do..but for those of you using a 3screen setup ...or heck a 1 screen setup where you always wanted the dmd at the bottom of the screen like PinballFx2 allows.
This is gonna be awesome.
Backglass artwork creation will be easier too (thank the GODS hehe)

Heres a sneak Peak Video

Looks promising...and if it works then that is gonna be pretty good. :) With myself having the 3 monitors that'd make all the difference for my setup and I'm guess for lots of other cab owners...and for people looking to build their own too. Great work...and got my fingers crossed for you guys. :)

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Incredible! There aren't too many features that a cab owner would need that they can't hack up on their own now. This is amazing news! For over 2 years now, I've been checking back in these forums every two months to see if it is worth playing Pinball Arcade and it finally looks like we are getting there!

Thank you!

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Pinball Arcade ought to give NoEx a stipend of some sort as a gesture of good will. Seriously - he's taken a lot of heat off of TPA.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Hi guys...I tried the mod etc last week but if you remember I tried my own silly setups and therefore struggled a little setting everything up. Thought I might have a go and keep things simple by just setting up the mod for the playfield first ie not stretching things out etc. Do you know if the 3 monitor setup mod will require the stretched screen as it does now for the dmd and back glasses or is it likely that all 3 screen will work without the need for major alterations? Just thought it worth the ask to see if the new mod will need an entirely new setup etc. cause if it does I may wait before trying to make further alterations. Hope that makes sense :)

Good work by the way. Having had a play around myself I understand how hard stuff like this is to do. Certainly not within my skill set :)

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
NoEx will have to clarify if I'm off but from what I know and can figure out.

If you setup the mod now with the 2 screen setup from the setup guild using either backglass media pack, you will be in perfect shape to use the floating dmd later.

1. the camera files are setup so that the play field shows just the cab part which I don't think will change, for that to work the stretching of the play field by 293 is required..if you change that, the playfield will have blank gaps on the sides or bottom. The backbuffer settings will still need to be the same ratio of 1080x2200 as well..the settings are all linked.

2. Once the 3 monitor setup is finalized you will just need to overwrite the backglass files with your own or a new media pack that doesn't have transparencies since the floating dmd will be moved to your dmd screen and won't require there be transparent holes to show thru.

L33

Aug 20, 2014
NoEx will have to clarify if I'm off but from what I know and can figure out.

If you setup the mod now with the 2 screen setup from the setup guild using either backglass media pack, you will be in perfect shape to use the floating dmd later.

1. the camera files are setup so that the play field shows just the cab part which I don't think will change, for that to work the stretching of the play field by 293 is required..if you change that, the playfield will have blank gaps on the sides or bottom. The backbuffer settings will still need to be the same ratio of 1080x2200 as well..the settings are all linked.

2. Once the 3 monitor setup is finalized you will just need to overwrite the backglass files with your own or a new media pack that doesn't have transparencies since the floating dmd will be moved to your dmd screen and won't require there be transparent holes to show thru.[/QUOTE

Ok cheers. I wasn't sure wether the new setup would only work if the playfield is stretched or if the back glasses were moveable...like the dmd would be...I suppose in a similar way to Zens new setup. Looking forward to giving it a second go.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
big difference being that Zen has access to the game code and can make the interface seamless and integrated into their UI. This is all being done externally so it will never be a turn key solution like what zens offering..that would require Farsight to do that.

but I think the playfield will need to be stretched tho you may not see it since other windows will overlay them.
As well you'll be able to resize the backglass art since the transparency holes wont' need to be there,nor need to maintain their size and aspect ratio to line up with the playfield.

That said I'M not expecting all these things for a while..

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
big difference being that Zen has access to the game code and can make the interface seamless and integrated into their UI. This is all being done externally so it will never be a turn key solution like what zens offering..that would require Farsight to do that.

but I think the playfield will need to be stretched tho you may not see it since other windows will overlay them.
As well you'll be able to resize the backglass art since the transparency holes wont' need to be there,nor need to maintain their size and aspect ratio to line up with the playfield.

That said I'M not expecting all these things for a while..

It will be interesting if NoEx can pull off the floatable DMD without the stretched DMD showing. I actually thought we would still have the stretched DMD because it needed to be visible to be mirrored to the draggable window. Even if we still end up with the two DMDs it will still be awesome.

NoEx

Mar 12, 2015
The monitors have not to be placed in a T shape anymore but next to each other and there is only one DMD visible, which can be moved and resized.

Darquayle

Sep 29, 2012
This is GREAT News. A couple of things on the wishlist for this new feature. 1) Can you have it so the position / size can be configured by table? The DMD location for tables are pretty consistent (except for something like Addams Family) but it seems like the non-DMD locations will need to be moved around to better fit the monitor. 2) Can you still support the use of an image as an overlay with this new feature. On some of my tables, I will most likely still want a bezel that displays some of the original artwork.

VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE. Thank you!

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Just realised...with regards to a previous question...Im guessing the screen will have to be stretched so that the dmd is hidden? Otherwise there will be 2 dmds...one on the play field and the one to be placed on the 2nd/3rd monitor. Is that right?

The actual dmd on TPA can be toggled on/off. Is the noex moveable dmd going to be affected affected by the other dmd being toggled on or off?

Cheers Rob/Noex. Hope all is going smooth for you :)

Members online

Members online