Bug PS3 Version 2.0.3 Bugs & Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
These are interesting impressions; and much appreciated from someone who seems to play the real tables relatively frequently. Thanks for writing this up.

Agreed! For me though, it's not just 'volume' though. It's overall sound quality on most tables. Most tables sound distorted or compressed. Monster Bash sounds pretty nice though.

( It's also interesting to me how some tables (from the same era even) will have varying sound quality in TPA, despite the fact that the original ROM files for those tables will sound equally, and remarkably, very, very good. MM is just one good example.)

I really hope someone over at FS is reading this...I know they have a list of things to do, but, the bottom line is-
Sound draws you in to play JUST as much as visuals do. I find myself playing the tables that sound better/have better sound emulation. I'm totally with you on this point- I'm glad you mentione this!

I try to give as much constructive feedback as possible on all versions I play as I want everyone to get the most authentic experience possible while playing these great tables no matter what platform or device they play them on. I will also be purchasing the PC version as well once it's released.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Tales of the Arabian Nights : The lighting on this table looks astonishing (I wish the clear ramps on the Xbox 360 version looked as good as the PS3 version). This table plays great and have seen no problems with this table as of yet.

Medieval Madness : This table was sort of a disappointment as the lighting looks okay, but the playfield seems to lack color and looks nowhere near as good as the Xbox 360 version. Also, the red flashers flash white instead of red which is really distracting. The table plays as good as the Xbox 360 version, but both still have the flipper gap issue (which is not a problem for me, but is for many others).

Both of these tables could use a brighter playfield IMO. Medieval Madness in particular on PS3 looks like it has been dragged through a mud pit with TOTAN it looks just a little better. One thing Farsight has done a wicked job with on tables is translucent ramps and on TOTAN they look absolutely amazing. Other tables that I've seen screen shots for (PS3 Future DLC) look like they are going to be amazing in that department too.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Pin Wiz if you really miss the look and feel of your Xbox 360 controller you could always go with this option.

http://www.powera.com/Products/PROD_CTRLS/PLATFORM_PS3/CPFA051083

I've been thinking of picking one up for myself, they have other higher end models as well.

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. Just picked up this controller for $20 and it has made playing The Pinball Arcade on PS3 enjoyable. The controller is working well and I can nudge effortlessly again. :D

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion Jim. Just picked up this controller for $20 and it has made playing The Pinball Arcade on PS3 enjoyable. The controller is working well and I can nudge effortlessly again. :D

I might need to get me one of this as well. Thanks for the review, PW, and the suggestion, Jim.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
I like how the analog sticks are positioned for nudging especially if you are using the L2 and R2 buttons for flippers. Sony's PS3 Dualshock 3 is okay for L1 and R1, but playing Black Knight I tried to switch over to L2 and R2 (trigger buttons) to work the two stage flippers better. The flippers work better (Dualshock) it's just the analog sticks are so far away for nudging.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
No problem Jeff Strong and Pin Wiz your hard work and contributions for this site don't go unnoticed. Enjoy coming here whenever I'm not playing TPA.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
Well, I finally bought a PS3 for the light-gun rail shooters (my daughter and I love these games) and of course to get an early glimpse of The Pinball Arcade DLC Tables well before they hit the Xbox 360 (my platform of choice for TPA). Here are my quick impressions of the PS3 version:

First off, I have zero flipper lag on the PS3 (something I was worried about) and the two stage flippers work great as long as you use the L2 and R2 trigger buttons. I personally can't wait to use the two stage flippers on the Xbox 360, but I do agree with the majority of people asking for an option to toggle the two stage flippers on/off as I believe most casual pinball players wouldn't understand how to use this feature properly right off the bat and would end up not enjoying the tables that use this feature. Also, trying to use the two stage flippers with the L1 and R1 shoulder buttons is a chore and doesn't feel natural. That said, the PS3 controller design is as bad as I remember it on the PS1 and PS2. The triggers are horribly designed with my fingers constantly slipping off them, especially during multi-ball, where as the Xbox 360 triggers are well designed and feel more natural to use with the two stage flippers. The left analog stick on the PS3 controller is too far to the right which makes it sort of a chore to nudge, where as the Xbox 360 controller has the left analog stick on the far left which makes nudging feel more natural.

Hot tip, get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Triggers-Controller-Attachments-Playstation-3/dp/B001AW156U

I have them on all my PS3 controllers. Wouldn't go without them.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Looks neat. Can I ask where you saw it for only $20?

Thanks

iCub

Oct 8, 2012
It just looks to me like it's in a very dark room. I don't dislike it, but I like how the colors are more vibrant on the table artwork on the older version.

Again though, a day/night slider would make everyone happy (except the programmers hehe)

DAY!
tom_both_rabs.JPG

NIGHT!
tom%20playf.jpg

I've played pinball in both dim and brightly lit arcades and they are very different experiences.

Just noticed that the first shot has small bunny toys above each flipper.... that is a nice addition that isn't present in TPA.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Just noticed that the first shot has small bunny toys above each flipper.... that is a nice addition that isn't present in TPA.

It's possibly a mod. Sometimes people add toys or LEDs to their tables.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion, but in addition to the triggers, my main gripe is the placement of the left analog stick, which is very crucial for precise nudging.

I don't know if its just that I've had Playstations for so long or something to do with hand size or palm to finger ratios but I like the ps3 controller so much better than the xbox controller. I bought an xbox a few years ago to play forza and a few other exclusives but I sold it this year because I just couldn't get used to the controller. The biggest problem I had was the offset analog sticks. I tried to find an xbox controller that looked like a ps3 controller but could not find a suitable replacement.

I agree with you in that you have to be comfortable with your controller. If the xbox controller is what does it for you then I completely understand why you need something more like it for the ps3.

Probolkoc

Oct 21, 2012
Medieval Madness does not register every hit to the castle gate. I haven't got to Battle for the Kingdom yet, but I can only imagine how frustrating it would be when I hit the gate and nothing happens.... The sound of that table is a little off IMO, particularly when a castle gets destroyed; it sounds like how the real pinball would sound like if the glass above the playfield was taken off.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I don't know if its just that I've had Playstations for so long or something to do with hand size or palm to finger ratios but I like the ps3 controller so much better than the xbox controller. I bought an xbox a few years ago to play forza and a few other exclusives but I sold it this year because I just couldn't get used to the controller. The biggest problem I had was the offset analog sticks. I tried to find an xbox controller that looked like a ps3 controller but could not find a suitable replacement.

I agree with you in that you have to be comfortable with your controller. If the xbox controller is what does it for you then I completely understand why you need something more like it for the ps3.

True... just a matter of taste really. I've been using these controllers since the PS1 days (and they haven't changed a bit), so I'm just so used to them. There are third party controllers for PS3 that mimic the X360 layout, but I can't attest to their quality.

The realtriggers, though, help a lot. I am happily using L2/R2 with TPA and the triggers ensure that you never slip off those buttons. I've been used to those for a good 3 years or so now, and have them on three different controllers at the moment.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I actually choose which system I purchase a game for based on its' controller. I buy FPSs for the X360 and fighting games for the PS3. TPA went to PS3. Fortunately I have no lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts