PS4 Announcement Feb. 20th?

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
I hope that they ditch the current controller design and actually go with something that is ergonomic. I am tired of having my thumbs hit together with the awkwardly placed analog sticks or my fingers slipping off the triggers. I have enough problems with the controller that it actually keeps me from playing games on the system and using it mainly as a bluray player/Netflix box.

you're outta luck there. A topic on GAF said the controller will be the exact same thing except for a touch pad in place of the select, start and PS buttons.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
As a huge Sony fan,

Sony has always been the most expensive toy on the block, don't expect any change to that.

Sony has heard the furor over used game lockouts, so it wont be a feature you see at launch, BUT beware of firmware updates that turn on a switch to enable it .

Sony will be emphazising the console as a cable tv box accessory and I predict GAIKAI live game streaming and 4 K resoloution movies to play a big part.

With any luck they will keep it regionless , so all games play from every country .

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
There's no point in buying consoles anymore. Only mid to late Gen, when they actually have games (that are actually worthwhile) do they become somewhat worth an inevitably reduced asking price. Although nowadays you can just build yourself a decent PC and then you will forget that consoles even exist.

I build decent PCs for 23 years. Consoles & PCs will always coexist. I play on both.
Like everything in life both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Please don't turn this thread into a PC vs Xbox vs Playstation flame war.

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
I'd be really surprised if they go much over $399 or if it has 4k. I don't think the used game thing will happen either, but I know both MS and Sony would love to see that happen.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
According to the WSJ, Sony plans to focus less on massive hardware improvements and more on integrating social gaming aspects into the new machine. User interaction will be a key component.

If you're hoping to be able to play your PS3 games on the new machine, you might want to temper those expectations. The chipset and graphics chip on the new PlayStation are reportedly made by different companies than those that power the PS3, making backward compatibility a less likely feature.

No backward compatibility :(

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
I don't mind backwards compatibility lost that much. They really do need to move forward. It's a pain, but cost and performance suffer in the name of it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't think it's "too soon" for a PS4, I just don't have any need for a new generation, that's all.

This.

I thought GT5 was a major let down. Just like the PS3 itself.

I have been over this gen for quite some time.

To the "too soon" cats, you realize ps3 will be 7 years old by ps4 launch. Thats an entire quarter of the life ive spent on this earth so far. I don't know what planet you come from but to me 7 years is an eternity. I was there in 2006 at ps3 launch, in 2000 for ps2 and although I chose the Saturn, I was there in 1995 for ps1.

Normal console life cycles are 5 years, not 8. Nobody was forcing you to dump you Super Nintendo that you bought in 1991 in the toilet for a n64 which launched in 1996. Just because PS4 is FINALLY coming doesnt mean ps3 and 360 are suddenly going to stop existing. PS2 got Final Fantasy XII and GOd of War 2 the same year as ps3 came out!

So in other words, just cause you got a ps3 in 2010 or something doesn't mean it's "too soon" for new hw. This has been the longest console generation in history, so don't be ignorant.

It has nothing to do with being "ignorant". To be honest, you just make yourself sound like a jerk when you say things like that, Mark. I know you're excited, and that's cool, but just because you're dying for new hardware doesn't mean everyone else has to be as well. I'm not an early adopter when it comes to consoles, simple as that. I don't see how that makes me "ignorant".

Last edited:

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
I build decent PCs for 23 years. Consoles & PCs will always coexist. I play on both.

Please don't turn this thread into a PC vs Xbox vs Playstation flame war.

just making a point. There isn't much on consoles you can't get on PC.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
And unlike Saturn, Sony's first party is a joke compared to Sega's back in the day. With a couple of exceptions, I do not care for Sony's first party one bit, and never have.
I can understand not liking Sony's first part output but calling it "a joke" is just patently false. That would imply that their stuff is terrible and that's just not the case. You might say "Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, yadda yadda yadda no thanks" but we're talking game series that continually garner ratings of 9+ out of 10.

Tabe

monty22001

Dec 28, 2012
Eventually, but I doubt right away. So I wouldn't toss my PS3 if you get a PS4 right away heheh. PS4 will probably be at least 6 months after announcement I'd figure, so FS will have time as well.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Ps4 probably won't get many worthwhile games until roughly a year after launch. Plus at the predicted 350-400 price point it will have a hard time even getting off the ground.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012

Very well said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Very well said, I was thinking the exact same thing.

+1

I love my PC, and it's definitely more cutting edge than my consoles, but there are just some things that you can't play on PC (sadly, TPA is still one example).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Kotaku has a whole bunch of photoshop ideas for the PS4 controller...http://kotaku.com/5981354/the-magic-of-photoshop-brings-the-ps4-controller-to-life

I've also read that 4K will be a component of the system, which makes complete sense considering what went on at CES.

I have no doubt there will be no backwards compatibility for physical media. I do think there will be for digital downloads found on PSN. Much like how Vita is able to play digital PSP games, I think Sony is gonna do the same for PS4. They want people buying digitally, and with all the games people have due to PS+, I will be very surprised if that doesn't happen.

SilverBallAddict

Sep 1, 2012
I've been a gamer since the Atari was out with a stick n button on a box. I remember when I woke on Xmas and opened the sega master system, (2 button controller!) & my dad n me played on a 16" telly lovin the fast paced colour graphics! I've always had a console and for me brand new games have always been far too expensive. I have always been patient and enjoyed the fully stocked and cheaper world of the 2nd hand game. On the rare occasion I've been duped by the flashy t.v. ad and forked out £40-£50 for a new game only to see it 3 months down the line for half that. If Sony really are goin to block older discs I can't see them getting record sales with their new console. I've always been a fan of Sony. From beta max tapes to mini discs, the quality has always been there. My 6/7 yr old ps3 has never missed a beat & has been properly tested. I just don't like this latest money orientated move.

Fearmonkey

Dec 2, 2012
When we finally did get hardware, it had an outdated, weak GPU, and the games ended up looking worse than their 360 counterparts.

That is the developer's fault. They developed on 360 first and it turned out it was more difficult than they realized to port games to PS3. Developers who lead first on PS3 and then port to 360 tend to have more parity between versions. Looks at Platinum's Vanquish. The Bayonetta port that SEGA did for Platinum because Platinum developed it for 360 first turned out crap. But when Platinum themselves did Vanquish on PS3 first then ported to 360, both versions were great. So blame the developers on this one.

Also, apparently part of Microsoft's contract says that multiplatform titles can't have less features on their system than a competitors. This means developers are actually developing for parity and not developing to each of the console's strengths. That anti-competition BS is part of what was wrong with this console generation. Should have separate teams working on two separate versions each targeting the individual system's strengths. Otherwise you get the terrible homogeneity we had to suffer this console generation.

Sony has since lowered the price, has since improved the online, but I don't care for the Western library (Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, yadda yadda yadda no thanks),

Ni no Kuni yo.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sony will probably continue to announce specs and details for the next year + anyway.

No one has to buy it at launch. I'm very happy with the current gen PS3 and with games like
The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and GOW Accession, they certainly don't look dated in
any way!

I also have a backlog of about 40 games to play, so I will probably wait until 2015 to play a PS4 even if Sony doesn't.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I learned after the Xbox 360 RROD debacle not to buy a console at launch. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out. Let someone else beta test.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts