PSA: Excessive TPA can wear out your controller

DJ Clae

Jun 17, 2012
Crazy Taxi on the Dreamcast. That Crazy Dash ruined the triggers like all hell. I think the springs were pretty weak.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Not sure why this was made a XBox 360 thread, as wearing out console controllers with this game is universial . On my dual shock 3 pad , I have a distinct fear of meesing up the analog sick every time I pull it back to simulate plunger pulls . Same goes with my Vita , I might just plug in my Tron controller and see how I like it over the reg. Dual Shock 3 pad .

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Not sure why this was made a XBox 360 thread, as wearing out console controllers with this game is universial . On my dual shock 3 pad , I have a distinct fear of meesing up the analog sick every time I pull it back to simulate plunger pulls . Same goes with my Vita , I might just plug in my Tron controller and see how I like it over the reg. Dual Shock 3 pad .

The only systems that I ever really worry about wear is the PS Vita since there is no easy way to rectify that problem. The Xbox 360 controller is the most durable one I have ever used being on only my second one since launch and playing what might be considered an excessive amount. Nothing was worse than the analog stick on the N64 controller.

SuperGrafx

Aug 26, 2012
I recently switched to using the bumpers on my 360 gaming sessions.
It DOES feel different (probably closer to a real pinball machines since the controls are more digital than analog in nature) and takes some getting used to. But ultimately I think the adjustment will pay off and translate into better success on the real-world machines.

Pinhead

Feb 29, 2012
I'm strictly a trigger man. Shoulder buttons feel more awkward. I prefer the rare, quick tap on the shoulders for game actions supplemental to those on my triggers. I'd probably use the shoulder buttons for TPA on PS3; I hate the Dual Shock's trigger buttons.

Wow, you guys must play an insane amount of extremely intense pinball sessions. :eek: I consider myself a rabid FPS gamer and haven't ever come close to wearing out a trigger.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just an FYI...you're not going to be able to take advantage of the 2-stage flippers if you use the bumpers exclusively.

Thankfully the PS3's bumpers are pressure sensitive, so the 2-stage flippers work fine....I wish the same was true on 360.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Sometimes a flipper will get stuck in the up position, but I think it's more a problem of the game than the controller.

12 Oz Mouse

Aug 3, 2012
I use the triggers, I bought a new controller roughly 2 months ago and I think I can contribute most of not all of its wear from playing a lot of TPA with it. I don't consider myself a very heavy handed individual but I can tell my triggers are experiencing a weakening in the springs and a semi-loud squeaking sound similar to a hindge that needs oil. My filppers do act weird from time to time but this is rare. I think (I could be wrong) the 360 controllers are just cheaply made in some aspects.

I do consider my a bit lucky though I have a friend who goes through 360 controllers every 5-6 months because he cracks the right trigger (always the right trigger) in half some how just through "normal" playing of shooter games.

But if further degradation does occur I wont mind, I got a 2 year warranty with this controller so it can break if it wants to next one is on the house! :D

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
forget about wearing out the triggers, after extended multiball play on MM it felt like i had dislocated my thumb from clinging on to the controller :eek:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Only game to wear out a controller, and it was BRAND SPANKING NEW! was BORDERLANDS constantly pressing up on L stick! Now the stick gets stuck up, wich translates into massive TILT nudges. I rolled the stick around in both dirrections for a few minutes and it helped but it still sticks occasionally.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I use the bumpers as well (shoulder buttons). They are faster than the triggers since they have zero play in them. Also, stop pressing the triggers so damn hard then. A light tap is the same as a HARD push.

There's something about pinball though. You push those buttons HARD because you are trying so hard to make the shots lol. My hands NEVER sweat on any other game, I even play Street Fighter competitively and my hands don't sweat, and I don't press buttons hard, but with PBA my hands sweat and I find myself pressing those buttons down like my life depends on it... but still not hard enough to actually ruin my controller though.

Also should make a thread about broken controllers from throwing them, and broken TV's. I nearly hurled my pad into my 5 thousand dollar set numerous times. Again, no other game ever causes me to do this, just pinball. Thankfully I just throw the controller over on the couch and kick a chair now when my ball drains due to my faults.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Only pain i ever felt with a game besides the odd cramp was playing track n field ....i rufused to cheat until the dreamcast came out

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.