Purchased all tables, now need a controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Just wondering if any of you guys were able to somehow connect a gamepad to an unrooted device to play this game. I love pinball but playing it on a touchscreen is a bit wonky, especially when trying to nudge properly (shake nudge is too sensitive)

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I have a buddy who did that, but the lag made it impossible to play any games accurately. He might have been doing something wrong though.

Maybe this will help with the wonkiness: When playing TPA (portrait mode, of course), I hold with my left hand normally, and use my left thumb for the left flipper only. But for the right, I use my right index finger. This way I can do the flipper with the finger, and move it up quickly for nudging in all directions. Works really well for me.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Wish that would work for me but my wrists are all sorts of effed up so there's no way i'd be able to hold the tablet like that

N

netizen

Ryan is awaiting a Moga Pro controller to see about implementing the Moga API into TPA.

Short of rooting your device and mapping touchzones you're SOL as far as controllers go presently.

It will really depend on your device as to what touch configuration you prefer, whther you like landscape or portrait, whether making the touchzones visible or not helps etc. Try diferent configurations and see what helps for the time being.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Wish that would work for me but my wrists are all sorts of effed up so there's no way i'd be able to hold the tablet like that

+1 - As I've mention my frustration in holding a tablet a few times in the http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4848-controller-keyboard-etc-Support thread that is also located in the Android forum.

Thanks for bringing this subject up again, Deltaechoe and it's good to see another Portland area person on this forum. Ryan, one of the FarSight employees, is working on this; however, he has many other responsibilities at the company. Just a little more patience and I think we'll have controller support for Android.

I prefer Moga Pro support, personally.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
+1 - As I've mention my frustration in holding a tablet a few times in the http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4848-controller-keyboard-etc-Support thread that is also located in the Android forum.

Thanks for bringing this subject up again, Deltaechoe and it's good to see another Portland area person on this forum. Ryan, one of the FarSight employees, is working on this; however, he has many other responsibilities at the company. Just a little more patience and I think we'll have controller support for Android.

I prefer Moga Pro support, personally.

Moga Pro and Moga Anywhere support seems like the easiest solution for now. And I would imagine it would be more supportable than trying to implement a native controller API that would allow any number of different controller hardware to be connected.

I've seen how hard that is to get right with Poke's USB/BT JoyCenter app.

Also, Portland sounds awesome for pinball fans. I wish we had a 10th of that table distribution here in Brisbane.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
I managed to revive the battery in my old nexus 7 which I can play on the touchscreen decently (just scored about 50m in no good gofers which is my personal best) so I'm good now, I bought all the tables as a way to pass the time during the slow periods at my job. This also solves my controller problem since my nexus is very much rooted and with that I have no problems setting a controller to trigger touchscreen events.

As far as the portland thing goes, I don't even know where to find a good place to play tables anymore since the arcades that I used to go to when I was a kid are all shutdown now.

Last edited:

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
As far as the portland thing goes, I don't even know where to find a good place to play tables anymore since the arcades that I used to go to when I was a kid are all shutdown now.

The Play Store has a Pinball Map app. Once you download it, you can pick Portland and see what real pinball machines are available close to you.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
The Play Store has a Pinball Map app. Once you download it, you can pick Portland and see what real pinball machines are available close to you.

I just remembered that there is ground kontrol, they have like 30 machines or something and free play nights too

Berq

Mar 15, 2013
If you already have a PS3/Bluetooth gamepad, I'd encourage you to reconsider rooting. I rooted my Razr Maxx exclusively so I could run the Sixaxis contrller pairing app, and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't too hard, and my security and stability concerns were unfounded. I didn't notice any lag when I mapped buttons to screen taps, but I don't know any way to use a gamepad to give yourself enhanced nudging finesse.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
The reason I said not rooting in the original post is because for some reason the SU binary decided to corrupt itself on my TF201 and I don't have an actual data cable for it anymore so I cannot use the debugging bridge. All my other android devices are fully unlocked (and I mean fully), but I wasn't able to use my nexus 7 at thhat time because I had left it unplugged too long and the battery tripped it's safety circuitso it would output absolutely no power and refuse to charge. I managed to fix that though with a high voltage pulse (don't do that unless you know exactly what you are doing AND you have a blast shield just in case) so the controller issue is no longer an issue, I've used the sixaxis program for years

But yeah, I'm a third party systems dev as a hobby so having an unlocked device is a must

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The reason I said not rooting in the original post is because for some reason the SU binary decided to corrupt itself on my TF201 and I don't have an actual data cable for it anymore so I cannot use the debugging bridge. All my other android devices are fully unlocked (and I mean fully), but I wasn't able to use my nexus 7 at thhat time because I had left it unplugged too long and the battery tripped it's safety circuitso it would output absolutely no power and refuse to charge. I managed to fix that though with a high voltage pulse (don't do that unless you know exactly what you are doing AND you have a blast shield just in case) so the controller issue is no longer an issue, I've used the sixaxis program for years

But yeah, I'm a third party systems dev as a hobby so having an unlocked device is a must

You defibrillated your tablet! Achievement unlocked: E.M.T B-)

You can get a cheap Chinese data cable for the TF201 for about $1 on eBay.

As an aside, any of your apps on the market we should be aware of?

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
I don't put my apps on the market as they are usually just proof of concept security based apps and binaries, mainly dealing in helping achieve roots and unlocks. If you run AOKP or cyanogenmod I have some code commits on those projects too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.