Question about Family Mode.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
I read that Family Mode can only be turned off with the Pro version, why can't it be age restricted? I really find it silly to be having to pay quite a bit more, just to disable a mode that basically is made for little kids to not be hearing rude or dirty things.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I read that Family Mode can only be turned off with the Pro version, why can't it be age restricted? I really find it silly to be having to pay quite a bit more, just to disable a mode that basically is made for little kids to not be hearing rude or dirty things.

The short answer to this is that higher age restriction restricts the sales demographics of the app a lot, which is a fairly important consideration for the mobile market I imagine. I mean I'd love it if we got the non-restricted versions of tables by default too, but from the POV of Farsight it makes perfect sense. They have to move product.

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
Well, let's face it, Scared Stiff will have jokes that'll go over kids' heads. Hell, Animaniacs was LOADED with innuendo, from left to right. I don't see why we can't hear "What a huge bone....us!", while we can still clear goals.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
The short answer to this is that higher age restriction restricts the sales demographics of the app a lot, which is a fairly important consideration for the mobile market I imagine. I mean I'd love it if we got the non-restricted versions of tables by default too, but from the POV of Farsight it makes perfect sense. They have to move product.

I wonder why this can't be done like in a shooter, "Gore on / off" and in this case "Family mode on / off", if turning on it would ask for age or something. Still probably won't happen, but, can always try.

Morg

Apr 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure that those games with Gore/Blood options still have to get their ratings based on having them turned on. Which seems to be the issue since apparently nobody buys games that are rated above pre-school friendly.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure that those games with Gore/Blood options still have to get their ratings based on having them turned on. Which seems to be the issue since apparently nobody buys games that are rated above pre-school friendly.

You might be right about that. I still think there should be a way to allow such option without pro version, stupid rating system just prevents it :(

PinBotMan

Apr 26, 2015
It's annoying. I had to buy the pro version of Scared Stiff though otherwise I'd never really enjoy that table. The censorship alone would ruin it for me.

But as I understand it, SS is the only table that even has a family mode... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yes. And the dumbest thing is with family mode off your game doesn't count towards leader boards and table goals etc.
I was crying about this a year ago but apparently it can't be helped because of technical reasons

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure that those games with Gore/Blood options still have to get their ratings based on having them turned on.
That is correct, but you can turn off family mode in the Pro version of TPA and it has the same age rating as the normal version. Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

PinBotMan

Apr 26, 2015
Yes. And the dumbest thing is with family mode off your game doesn't count towards leader boards and table goals etc.
I was crying about this a year ago but apparently it can't be helped because of technical reasons

What? Are you telling me I can't get wizard goals on Scared Stiff unless the Family Mode is on??? That makes NO sense! :mad:

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
What? Are you telling me I can't get wizard goals on Scared Stiff unless the Family Mode is on??? That makes NO sense! :mad:

It makes sense insofar as the operator mode needs to be enabled to turn family mode off. Once the operator mode is active you can change all sorts of things to make the game much easier. Do the slightly racier callouts really make a difference to you in terms of gameplay? I doubt the ESRB rating would be changed if family mode defaulted to off, but with other countries who knows. Australia is notoriously persnickety about these things for example, and I can't blame Farsight for being conservative just in case. If you want to hear them turn family mode off while you play casually. After a while you will learn them and can call them out yourself while you are playing for goals or in a tournament setting. Let the world know you are "having multiple jackpots", it certainly "makes me stiff", and I don't need the game to remind me ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.