Question regarding new hard drive for PS3 and TPA

cammanchee

May 29, 2013
Hello guys, as some of you may have seen in a previous post under the when are packs 19 and 20 coming, my PS3 died on me after 8 years of service (YLOD, original 20gb). I have found a place that can repair it for a pretty resonable price, including shipping to and from as I live about 230 - 240 miles away from the repair shop. Anyways, I do have a question about one thing though. I have thought about putting in a bigger hard drive, 100 - 250 gb drive in my PS3 for awhile and since I would be sending it in for repair, thought this may be the perfect time to do it. My question is: Provided the information has not been corupted, which I'm 99 percent sure has not been, is it possible to have the TPA game and specifically the game save information transfered from my old hard drive to a new one? More specifically, could this be done without using the PS3 data transfer utility option? If I'm not mistaken, isn't it is pretty much impossible to do with copy-protected games? I was wondering if the TPA information is copy-protected because if the above was possible, I would consider getting a little bigger drive for my PS3 and having the information transfered as I have a big portion of the wizard goals accomplished, including 3 million and Genie which I would hate to try and replicate. If it is not possible, then obviously I would just stick with my original hard drive and be happy.

Thank you guys ahead of time for any info you can provide to me. It really sucks not having my PS3 to play right and it is driving me crazy not to be able to play TPA right now. I would just upgrade to a PS4, or even a slim, but finances won't allow me to do so. Heck, it will take a little work just to be able to get my PS3 fixed at this point.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
If your a PS+ member you can do a cloud save. You could just join for 90 days which is pretty cheap. Also if your going to put in a bigger hard drive, I would recommend going bigger. They're cheap enough these days. Since I've joined PS+ my 500 filled up pretty fast with free games and I'm wishing I put in 1T. Always overestimate when putting in storage!

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
You can use a usb memory stick to backup your saved games, then reload them on new hdd. If you've already got one, it's free.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
You can use a usb memory stick to backup your saved games, then reload them on new hdd. If you've already got one, it's free.

As the others have said you can use PS+ cloud save to backup your data, or a USB stick. Don't use the data transfer utility, it is incredibly slow. You WILL need a USB stick to install the PS3 operating system on the new drive so you might as well go that route.

Also, don't pay someone else to put a new drive in your PS3. I just did it myself and it is ludicrously simple. You'll need two philips screwdrivers and about 5 minutes. There are tons of videos/webpages around showing how to do it.

I bought a really swish 1TB drive but I didn't need to - the PS3 HDD access is slow and there's nothing you can do about it.

budtki@verizon.net

Aug 20, 2012
since were on the subject...what would be the best way to PRE-EMPTIVELY combat this situation? could i actually save the TPA and all of my tables and highscores via a usb memory stick? and if so, how exactly would i do this?

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
since were on the subject...what would be the best way to PRE-EMPTIVELY combat this situation? could i actually save the TPA and all of my tables and highscores via a usb memory stick? and if so, how exactly would i do this?
I think that was covered in one of the barcade podcasts. :rolleyes:

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Can you replace the HD on new PS3s anymore? I thought there was a system update that prevented you from being able to.

My original 60GB PS3 died on me 2 years ago. I miss the SACD compatability.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Can you replace the HD on new PS3s anymore? I thought there was a system update that prevented you from being able to.

My original 60GB PS3 died on me 2 years ago. I miss the SACD compatability.

You can still do it. Sony provides online instructions for all models and they specifically say that it is a user replaceable part. In other words, replacing it does not void your warranty.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012

You can save your scores and settings but not the games and tables. Just use the game save data utility in the ps3 game menu. Once you put the new drive in you can redownload the game and table from the store.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
The only issue with PS Plus I ran into is when my subscription ran out and my new subscription was put into place, basically everything I had locally saved (or perhaps its been cloud saving it this whole time?) disappeared. All the wizard goals I'd accomplished, scores, etc.

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
On the brand new "super slim" ones with the sliding top door you can't replace the hard drive as its flash storage built in to the board. Every other PS3 from launch day through the regular slimline ones Sony gives the instructions to. My original fully updated launch day unit has a 500gb in it now, replacing the original 60.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
On the brand new "super slim" ones with the sliding top door you can't replace the hard drive as its flash storage built in to the board. Every other PS3 from launch day through the regular slimline ones Sony gives the instructions to. My original fully updated launch day unit has a 500gb in it now, replacing the original 60.

Um, no. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-change-the-new-super-slim-ps3-hard-drive/1100-6396942/

Flash drives of that size are still way more expensive than traditional hard drives. They wouldn't fit with Sony's desire to reduce the cost of the PS3.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Swapping a hard drive on the PS3, as mentioned is incredibly easy. If you have an external USB drive big enough, I recommend using the backup and restore utilities. You do the backup - make sure your drive is FAT32 formatted!- to the external. Swap in the new hard drive. Download the required stuff to a USB stick. Put in the stick. Run that process. Restore from the USB had drive. Boom done. No re-downloading, no lost save files, no nothing. Yes, it's very slow, but it was worth it for me. I just set it to to do that backup while I was at work and then did the restore overnight.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Swapping a hard drive on the PS3, as mentioned is incredibly easy. If you have an external USB drive big enough, I recommend using the backup and restore utilities. You do the backup - make sure your drive is FAT32 formatted!- to the external. Swap in the new hard drive. Download the required stuff to a USB stick. Put in the stick. Run that process. Restore from the USB had drive. Boom done. No re-downloading, no lost save files, no nothing. Yes, it's very slow, but it was worth it for me. I just set it to to do that backup while I was at work and then did the restore overnight.

I backup my PS3 every couple of months as an assurance. My brother's went kaput and he lost all data. You can redownload all your games, obviously, but that's a hassle and saves are gone. I would hate to lose all my high scores and goals! The only thing I'm not looking forward to when upgrading to PS4, actually.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I backup my PS3 every couple of months as an assurance. My brother's went kaput and he lost all data. You can redownload all your games, obviously, but that's a hassle and saves are gone. I would hate to lose all my high scores and goals! The only thing I'm not looking forward to when upgrading to PS4, actually.

Its actually quite fun to go through all the goals again.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts