Request Real "opening sequence" + narrator

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
One minor problem I have with TPA is the lack of a true opening sequence for it - it just cuts to the menu. Contrasted with the PHOF games FS previously created, I loved the intro with the zoomouts on the tables. I thought it looked very cool from that angle, and I love the music throughout. If you could make a remade version of the intro (perhaps having a small showcase for the month's new tables as well), I think it would further integrate players into the game.

Also, you mentioned the possibility of the narrator from PHOF returning for the instructions for new titles. No word has come out of him yet, maybe he's working at a different company now. If you can't get him back, perhaps I can do the narration for you :p

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I agree. Of all the things FarSight needs to be working on, this is not one of them. (In fact, future cabinet owners are hoping for FarSight to include a way to start a table direct from the command line and skip the menus entirely.)

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
One minor problem I have with TPA is the lack of a true opening sequence for it - it just cuts to the menu. Contrasted with the PHOF games FS previously created, I loved the intro with the zoomouts on the tables. I thought it looked very cool from that angle, and I love the music throughout. If you could make a remade version of the intro (perhaps having a small showcase for the month's new tables as well), I think it would further integrate players into the game.

Also, you mentioned the possibility of the narrator from PHOF returning for the instructions for new titles. No word has come out of him yet, maybe he's working at a different company now. If you can't get him back, perhaps I can do the narration for you :p

I couldn't stand that. I just want to get straight to playing. It might be okay once or twice but after that it would become a real nuisance to me. I wish they would get rid of the current music.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
No thanks, and not only that, I wish the current interface was even faster. With 30+ tables now, it's time to copy Zen's example and get a grid. Just have them look like the launch buttons they currently change every month in the iOS.

N

netizen

Intro, LOL. No!

The narrated, or guided option for the instruction has merit. That way you can focus on the table details and not have to split your attention between the table details and the instructions, you can watch the details as the instructions are narrated. This would get very data heavy with games like TZ and others with long Rule Sheets, or ones that have lots of repetition in rules options.

Maybe if there was a Youtube channel, or something like it, with animated and narrated instructions as an alternative?

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Right now the presentation is just about right, sure the menu could do with a few tweaks but I don't think an announcer calling out names would benefit TPA in any way.

As for the intro movie... that's a lot trickier than you think. P:HOF worked because they knew how many tables there were in the game so could do an intro based around them, with TPA it's a moving target and even if say, they made one for each season, they'd still need to update the animation every season and that's a lot more work than just sticking the table models through an animator.

I like the simplicity of TPA, no intro movies for publishers, a really minimalistic developer screen (on the ps3 and 360) and nothing at all for android/iOS. You just press play and you're at the menu just about.

What WOULD be nice is some sort of playlist option, where you can queue up a bunch of tables in a row with specific targets like the Williams challenge, but the problem with that is that there's no definitive table option. Everyone has a different combo of tables and it'd really suck the fun out of things if you were halfway through a mode and suddenly "buy X table to continue". A custom playlist would be great, but without set goals there's nothing that you can do there that you couldn't just do by playing regularly.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
No thanks, and not only that, I wish the current interface was even faster. With 30+ tables now, it's time to copy Zen's example and get a grid. Just have them look like the launch buttons they currently change every month in the iOS.
I'm with you. Make it faster, faster, faster. Faster into the menu (change the wording too - "installing trophies" every single time you launch the ps3 version? C'mon), a single screen menu instead of the rolodex, and eliminate the "Saving" after every game even when nothing has changed.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
and eliminate the "Saving" after every game even when nothing has changed.

I quickly hit start and quit the game (except on carry-to-next-game pins like pin*bot's solar value). I think it's just saving game stats that are also uploaded to Farsight. If so it'd be great to have: number of balls played, time played, etc.

anonymatt

Jan 12, 2013
The music under the logo (at least in the Android version) isn't right for coming out of tiny speakers. It's fast strummy guitar. It sounds like noise. Kinda embarrassing on the train when I forget the volume's turned up. How about silence?

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
The music under the logo (at least in the Android version) isn't right for coming out of tiny speakers. It's fast strummy guitar. It sounds like noise. Kinda embarrassing on the train when I forget the volume's turned up. How about silence?

I hear ya! Especially because at least on Android, you can't actually turn down the media volume until after the music starts playing, even if the app spends quite some time loading before getting to that point. I always boot TPA with my finger on the volume button to be ready.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

I can't count how many times I've pulled out my iPhone in public only to forget that TPA was the last app used and I left it running in the first menu screen. It's so embarrassing when that music plays!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.