Rollover bug tables

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Anyone have a list of the tables that do not recognize a rollover score. E.g CFtBL and TO do not recognize a rollover of 10 billion +. Brutally frustrating to have a score of 14 bil+ be scored as only 4 bil+. Would have been a top ten on TO this morning. If I knew which tables did this I would probably just stay away from them. Also not sure if this just an iOS problem or if other platforms are affected too.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Anyone have a list of the tables that do not recognize a rollover score. E.g CFtBL and TO do not recognize a rollover of 10 billion +. Brutally frustrating to have a score of 14 bil+ be scored as only 4 bil+. Would have been a top ten on TO this morning. If I knew which tables did this I would probably just stay away from them. Also not sure if this just an iOS problem or if other platforms are affected too.

Note that there are two separate issues here. One is related to HOF scores, the other is related to how TPA handles scores that rollover the maximum score that the table itself can handle.

The HOF rollover bug means that scores over the table's maximum score don't register correctly for full HOF points, meaning it's impossible to get 1000 HOF points on that table. For instance White Water, the max ROM score is 9,999,999,990 but for 1000 HOF points you need 16,000,000,000. You can score 16,000,000,000 in WH2O and the score will correctly register and go in the leaderboards, but you will only get credit for 6,000,000,000 when HOF points are awarded.

The score rollover bug relates to how you rollover the score. On ROM-emulated tables, TPA cannot directly get the score from the ROM, the hooks don't exist to allow that. Instead it "scrapes" your score from the display every (x) CPU cycles to see what your score is, and compares that with what it was before. If it sees that your score is now 0,xxx,xxx,xx0 when before it was 9,xxx,xxx,xx0, it correctly assumes you rolled the score and credits you with +10,000,000,000. If your score was < 9,000,000,000, (or is now >= 1,000,000,000?), then TPA doesn't twig that you rolled the score, and you don't get credited with the +10,000,000. This bug really only affects tables where you can easily score 1B+ with a single shot. CftBL is an extreme example, with 4x Super Jackpots topping out at 3.2B+. STTNG is another that might get hampered, but STTNG can handle 10B+ scores in the ROM so you'd need Borg jackpots over 10B to get into trouble. The biggest seen so far is a "mere" 8B(!). Tee'd Off, with its score doubling, appears to be a problem, and I don't know about WHO Dunnit's Roulette either.

Note that POTO isn't affected by this, despite the ROM's max being 99,999,990, because TPA "knows" about the score doubling feature and handles it properly.

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks Eldar, very informative. I'm not so much upset by the HOF points as I am by the losing the high score. On tables such as Teed Off and Creature there are scores of 10 bil +. Is that an outcome of a different operating system than iOS or luck of the draw as to when the last "cycle" you referred to happened?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks Eldar, very informative. I'm not so much upset by the HOF points as I am by the losing the high score. On tables such as Teed Off and Creature there are scores of 10 bil +. Is that an outcome of a different operating system than iOS or luck of the draw as to when the last "cycle" you referred to happened?

It's just people being careful how they roll over from 9B to 10B. So for instance on Creature you would avoid hitting a jackpot or super jackpot that would take you from 8.xB to 10+B. You'd drain multiball on purpose, even if that means losing 4x multiplier for the rest of the ball (another interesting feature of that ROM).

Really there are very few tables you can do that kind of thing on. WH2O for instance the highest scoring shot you can make is a 3x jackpot, which maxes at 210M (IIRC 5x Playfield caps the max jackpot value, and doesn't get applied to 2x or 3x jackpots - even if it does apply to all 1x jackpots, that limits you to a max single shot netting 350M for a 5x single jackpot; not enough to trip the rollover bug). CftBL and Tee'd Off are the only known examples that I know of so far.

Crooker

Apr 24, 2013
It's just people being careful how they roll over from 9B to 10B. So for instance on Creature you would avoid hitting a jackpot or super jackpot that would take you from 8.xB to 10+B. You'd drain multiball on purpose, even if that means losing 4x multiplier for the rest of the ball (another interesting feature of that ROM).

Really there are very few tables you can do that kind of thing on. WH2O for instance the highestokay scoring shot you can make is a 3x jackpot, which maxes at 210M (IIRC 5x Playfield caps the max jackpot value, and doesn't get applied to 2x or 3x jackpots - even if it does apply to all 1x jackpots, that limits you to a max single shot netting 350M for a 5x single jackpot; not enough to trip the rollover bug). CftBL and Tee'd Off are the only known examples that I know of so far.
Okay I get what you're saying. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.